Posh hireboat?

richardf

Featured Posts

A friend of mine who is, to say the least, not short of a few bob, has asked me for a recommendation for a hireboat holiday. Having seen some of the sorry state of some of the hire boats that come past us, I just know that he would be disappointed. Does anyone know of a company that either has a one off boat or a fleet of boats that are nicer than the average? Would be pleased to hear any suggestions. Thanks

A friend of mine who is, to say the least, not short of a few bob, has asked me for a recommendation for a hireboat holiday. Having seen some of the sorry state of some of the hire boats that come past us, I just know that he would be disappointed. Does anyone know of a company that either has a one off boat or a fleet of boats that are nicer than the average? Would be pleased to hear any suggestions. Thanks

I know exactly what you mean, the standard varies enormously. Moonboats are aimed at the luxury end. No connection, except I've seen the boats.

Odd - my link isn't working - http://www.bath.co.uk/moonrakerboats/

Edited by Serendipity

I know exactly what you mean, the standard varies enormously. Moonboats are aimed at the luxury end. No connection, except I've seen the boats.

Odd - my link isn't working - http://www.bath.co.uk/moonrakerboats/

So what is a luxury traditional style widebeam narrowboat? :lol:

So what is a luxury traditional style widebeam narrowboat? :lol:

:lol: Crikey got to agree with you phylis, whenever I see the term, Widebeam narrowboat it make me cringe its as stupid as calling someone a Fat skinny bloke..........

:lol: Crikey got to agree with you phylis, whenever I see the term, Widebeam narrowboat it make me cringe its as stupid as calling someone a Fat skinny bloke..........

I've just struggled with this in a report, as "wide beam" alone doesn't cover it (Phylis's boat is "wide beam" as it is more than 7 feet wide), so we coined the term "wide beam canal boat" with Phylis's, or a Viking wide beam, being "wide beam cruisers"

The Gu used to call them "wide boats" and the Manchester Bolton and Bury called them "Bastard Boats", I suspect the latter wouldn't sell well today.

I've just struggled with this in a report, as "wide beam" alone doesn't cover it (Phylis's boat is "wide beam" as it is more than 7 feet wide), so we coined the term "wide beam canal boat" with Phylis's, or a Viking wide beam, being "wide beam cruisers"

The Gu used to call them "wide boats" and the Manchester Bolton and Bury called them "Bastard Boats", I suspect the latter wouldn't sell well today.

:lol: And on the L and L they were called short boats..........but a widebeam narrowboat....aaaaggghhhhhh

Does it have to be the UK? There are some excellent boats to be had in the South of France.

And a better climate!

Five years ago we had 2 weeks on one of these Locaboat.

Seriously pricey but the best holiday we ever had.

It was actually what decided us to trade in the NB for something wider......

And what is a luxury traditional style?

Come to think of it just what is traditional about a cruiser sterned, widebeamed, modern canal craft?

And what is a luxury traditional style?

Come to think of it just what is traditional about a cruiser sterned, widebeamed, modern canal craft?

How long does it take for something to become tradition?

Richard

Valley cruises on the Coventry seem to have a very well turned out fleet.

They do, Andy; we moored at their Springwood Haven base for some years and were impressed by the boats - only their rather self-effacing paintwork stops them from making a stronger initial impression. I believe that they were the first (only?) hire boats to feature an en-suite cloakroom.

The Wagstaffs who built the fleet up have now sold it, although I think they still own the marina, so I don't know how the new owners may have changed the hire fleet. If they have any sense, very little should be the answer, except maybe for a splash of brighter paint!