Your site has a spam problem

Featured Posts

I have received another malicious e-mail, from the "administrator". The address took me to this site, I had to log in, then there was a message from the administrator saying that I has viruses on my computer and was banned. Suggested that I click onto you virus checking site. Big mistake, looks genuine, but instantly states that I have many tojan horses etc, it takes Nortons at least 4 hours to do a full system scan on this computer. Luckily Nortons blocked this site as it was one of those that does not take no for an answer.

I am sorry but I cannot risk logging onto your site again.

I have received another malicious e-mail, from the "administrator". The address took me to this site, I had to log in, then there was a message from the administrator saying that I has viruses on my computer and was banned. Suggested that I click onto you virus checking site. Big mistake, looks genuine, but instantly states that I have many tojan horses etc, it takes Nortons at least 4 hours to do a full system scan on this computer. Luckily Nortons blocked this site as it was one of those that does not take no for an answer.

Had the "administrator" only joined within the last day or so, and had they made no, or almost no, posts on the forum, (both easy to check!).

If so, I think you can be fairly confident they are not a real "administrator!".

In fact, if you check the postings for the last day or so, one of the real moderators has been working on a fix that attempts to stop new people joining, and then immediately spamming people with links to dodgy sites.

If you use just normal levels of caution this site is no more sinister than most others!

Can you please tell me the name of the person who sent you the message?

Hi Alan,

I was going to get around to that, it's just that the aim at the moment is to get this most recent new member, and suspend them so they can't send any more PM's.

At the top of every page on this forum, you will see an announcement regarding Spam via PM's, there has also been more than several new threads started about them which they have been reported to, it's also been discussed at length in various other threads, with the latest thread being started by Dan who is trying to implement new things to help stop, or at least reduce these kind of 'attacks'.

You need to be as careful online with people trying to be somebody who they are not, just like you are at home when somebody knocks on your door and claims to be a Policemen/Meter Reader etc.

Our moderators/administrator will always use their own name and the blue logo 'Site Crew' If not, then the post should be ignored and deleted.

Alan, please look at the most recent few pages of this thread SAFE CLICK which is still on this site.

It seems odd. From this it seems even some New Members get the spam. I've joined only recently (been lurking a while) and not had any yet.

It seems they often work through the member's list alphabetically - with a username starting 'W' you are towards the "immune" end of things, (but not necessarily exempt!).

As an 'A', perhaps I need to get mine changed!

It seems they start from A, a, Z or z. I'm an R and have never had one yet.

Richard

Been here five years and not had any yet.

It does seem the OP is/was a bit naive.

And as for spam e-mails etc. I never see them, Thunderbird does a great job of blocking before I see them.

I'm so glad I'm not alone. I've not had one yet either. :lol:

Just checked the OP's profile and he was last seen on 11th February at 10pm, so he's been true to his word and not logged in since he started this thread.

Presumably he'll stop picking up his e-mails as soon as the first spam message arrives! (I'm assuming by his initial naivety and extreme reaction that he's quite new to the internet)

Just checked the OP's profile and he was last seen on 11th February at 10pm, so he's been true to his word and not logged in since he started this thread.

Presumably he'll stop picking up his e-mails as soon as the first spam message arrives! (I'm assuming by his initial naivety and extreme reaction that he's quite new to the internet)

He'll be helping those rich Nigerians..

4 Posts in 3 months?, we'll miss ya!

I don't think this is entirely fair. I met briefly this afternoon with BoatmanAlan and he is aware of spam & phishing in his email, but I think this is the first time he has encountered a virus/trojan attack from what he genuinely thought was our Admin. Not everyone will be at the same level of awareness as many of us her, so I think we should 'cut him a little slack' and maybe 'clue him up'

I have PM'd Dan to explain what actually happened (as I understand it. It wasn't clear cut - he was passed back to CWDF or a clone, to log in again!!) so it may be that there is some phishing going on as well.

I did say to him that CWDF is safe, it's just the morons that have set out to cause problems. I explained that in the last few days, action has been taken to reduce the problem and asked him to read the thread that he started and all should come clear.

4 Posts in 3 months?, we'll miss ya!

Many folk lurk without posting at all :lol:

I don't think this is entirely fair. I met briefly this afternoon with BoatmanAlan and he is aware of spam & phishing in his email, but I think this is the first time he has encountered a virus/trojan attack from what he genuinely thought was our Admin. Not everyone will be at the same level of awareness as many of us her, so I think we should 'cut him a little slack' and maybe 'clue him up'

I have PM'd Dan to explain what actually happened (as I understand it. It wasn't clear cut - he was passed back to CWDF or a clone, to log in again!!) so it may be that there is some phishing going on as well.

I did say to him that CWDF is safe, it's just the morons that have set out to cause problems. I explained that in the last few days, action has been taken to reduce the problem and asked him to read the thread that he started and all should come clear.

Many folk lurk without posting at all :lol:

Fair enough Dave - I was actually feeling a bit sad that someone with little knowledge of the internet could be scared off our site so easily - I probably didn't put it as well as I should have.

I hope he can be reassured and feel confident enough to return.

To Boatmanalan if he does come back - never click on any links you receive by e-mail or PM unless you are certain you know the sender. The horrible downside of the internet is that there's a lot of crooks out there wanting your bank account details so they can rob you and a lot of vandals out there that just want to wreck your computer :lol: On the upside there's a lot of good people out there that'll have a laugh with you and give you good advice when you need it.

:lol: