Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
bramley

Virus Alert "Important message from the forum administration!", warning spammer.

Featured Posts

I think the fix applied by Daniel was aimed at PM "floods" created by bots. This example may be from a human. I haven't had the PM in question so, clearly, not all forum members are being honoured.

Yes it was, but i wouldn't be surprised if there are bots coded to send out pms every minute or so (thus avoiding these settings). I have put a message out to the rest of the site crew, hopefully when they arre back online we can see what else we can do.

Yes it was, but i wouldn't be surprised if there are bots coded to send out pms every minute or so (thus avoiding these settings). I have put a message out to the rest of the site crew, hopefully when they arre back online we can see what else we can do.

It looks like the only way to avoid this is to stop new members being able to post as soon as they join.

In other forums of which I am a member this is the policy and they don't appear to have this problem.

Certainly a really annoying problem for you mods and also for any member who unwittingly clicks on a URL included in the message.

Stewey

Still no PM's, calling me friend, or otherwise....

I feel leftout, and unwanted...

If I don't get one soon, I'll go home...

:lol:

You can share mine if you like,hope it makes you feel more wanted. :lol:

Isn't there a way to stop pm's having a link in them..

No..I tend to use that quite a lot

Chris

Unless you devise a means to verify and allow new accounts, you won't stop these kind of PM's . Bots can be programmed to different intervals. I know that it is inconvinient, but you will have to go to a manual approval process of new members.

There seems to be a whole new business sprouting, where people get paid to sent/forward spam from a personal email addy. Presumably to make the spam email look individual, rather than from a mass mailing server.

Just don't click on any links unless you are sure about the sender. I.e. you know the person who sent the email. And the email was not just 'forwarded to all..' by them either....

You can share mine if you like,hope it makes you feel more wanted. :lol:

Thanks, but it just not the same...

Unless you devise a means to verify and allow new accounts, you won't stop these kind of PM's . Bots can be programmed to different intervals. I know that it is inconvinient, but you will have to go to a manual approval process of new members.

There seems to be a whole new business sprouting, where people get paid to sent/forward spam from a personal email addy. Presumably to make the spam email look individual, rather than from a mass mailing server.

Just don't click on any links unless you are sure about the sender. I.e. you know the person who sent the email. And the email was not just 'forwarded to all..' by them either....

Thanks, but it just not the same...

And I just opened your email....LOL :lol:

C

Just another one... member name "Desterman" and usual type of message telling you there are viruses on your computer with link to follow.

Just deleted mine but just a heads up.

I've just had one from him aswell.

Spam from desterman I think that was his name, deleted too quickly sorry.

2 today from ForumModerators - just for info as I deleted them immediately without following link.

OK it was from Dersterman - I know this as also got an email from him/her with a link.

Is this a genuine member or spam do you think. Well I've deleted it any way.

Thanks for warning of these.

Now have got same messages from forummoderator. Apart from deleting anything else I can do?

Not really, just don't open any links in messages from anyone you don't know.

Desterman has been eradicated and so will the other, when a mod logs on.

Just in case this isn't obvious. If you report a post a PM gets sent to all of the mods. If you make a post here you have to wait for it to be read. So, make a posting with the info you want to report, then report your own post. That way the information is available for all to see, and the mods get a PM and email so they know what to act on.

Richard

Forum snitch

me too from both twats.

Didnt notice a report to mod on the PM post

That's right. You can't report a PM AFAIK, but you can make a posting in a thread and report that.

Richard

I had one earlier from Desterman so i ran a scan with

my own anti virus just to be safe & found nothing now

i have just recieved one from a forum moderator.

Barry

This is what i recieved after the Desterman post

Dear, convoy!

A virus alert was noticed on your computer.

We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: /security-tool2010.com/convoy"security-tool2010.com/convoy[/url]

----------------------------------------------------

Forum Administration www.canalworld.net.

Edited by convoy

PM from username ForumModerators just recieved. Please can you nuke it?

Thanks - Davo

Got my first one this afternoon from ForumModerators - This 'member' has been removed at least TWICE already in recent weeks.

Sign in to follow this