Solar Panel Supports

Neildudman

Featured Posts

Firstly the panel needs to be secured, people usually bolt them to the roof, but then they are often flat. If a solar panel can be tilted towards the sun and thus at about 45 degrees from the roof of the boat they give more power.

So... a support that bolts to the roof for security that has a turntable type thing so the panel can be moved to face the sun, and then a tilt on it so the panel can be tilted. The panel needs to be secured to the stand too for security.

I have seen some good versions, but I don't think they are necessarily easy to get hold of and most of the ones I have seen are custom made.

Can you give me some idea on the manufacturer of the panels?, So I can look at fixings etc...

Seems like this is highly do-able.

Is this sort of thing not good enough or too expensive?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its something I too will be interested in - I am still waiting a bit though for some less expensive panels - either offers or the price to come down more or someone selling cheaply for whatever reason as they aren't a pressing need for me, just nice to have and not rely on shore power to trickle the batteries.

What I would look for is security to stop them getting nicked or blown away (!), and ability to rotate / alter angle of elevation and lock in that position. I would also want to lay flat when moving, and if not moving when on the boat, move them 3 or times a day to track the sun.

Thanks

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Can you give me some idea on the manufacturer of the panels?, So I can look at fixings etc...

Seems like this is highly do-able.

Is this sort of thing not good enough or too expensive?

hello

regarding your interest in solar pv power...i say go for it..i have had solar power on my narrow boat for about a year now..i have constantly been adding panels till they charge my batterys (even in winter ..)

i have a total of 200w @12volts..this is enough for us (liveaboards) but we have changed to led lighting..makes a massive difference to usage

regarding suppliers.there are loads .some good ..some bad.you pays your money..i have found a great supplier on ebay..

fitting and wiring is a simple enough task,if you can fit a plug wiring a solar pv system is not much more taxing..

a book i can reccomend is -"do it your self 12 volt solar power" by michel daniek..a good fun read with all you need to know....

good luck

THe important thing is.....it needs to be :

Adapatable for all sizes......adjustable for all sizes. and angleable........secure and bolted down....because we don't like to fiddle about with getting things for one size alone... and FREE...we dont like to pay for anything !!!..

Bob