Gang Planks

Neildudman

Featured Posts

You will need to do a little research unless others have that info, but I remember seeing a combined gang plank / ladder for sale, possibly at a show, which was light weight and obviously has a double function. I guess the ladder part integral to the gang plank also provides some rigidity. I thought it was a good idea and we were going to get a ladder any way, so a combined unit would be ideal. Seem to think it was cost prohibitive at approaching £200.

Would certainly find a reasonably priced, reasonably safe, lightweight gangplank an attractive proposition.

Found this spec. for a high-spec, obviously expensive one (can't find an actual price, still looking)

Spec for gangplank

Don't like the ropes, but with elderly but keen parents, dog, and children, would want at least choice of having something at the sides.

Would certainly find a reasonably priced, reasonably safe, lightweight gangplank an attractive proposition.

Found this spec. for a high-spec, obviously expensive one (can't find an actual price, still looking)

Spec for gangplank

Don't like the ropes, but with elderly but keen parents, dog, and children, would want at least choice of having something at the sides.

Miracle leisure products produce a combined aluminum boarding plank/ladder £88.00 no connection just a satisfied customer

The Miracle Leisure product was covered on the other forum back in 2007 and ironically

it re-surfaced last week, which is probably why it was at the forefront of my mind.

It was about seventy something quid then and its 88 Pounds now (inflation for you).

Unless you make an awful lot, I would guess you are going to struggle to match that, once you

cost in the labour.

You either have to make your product with an extra feature or you work on beating their price.

A few people I know have had their planks "permanently borrowed" off their roof.

They found it quite hard to get something readymade.

If you could offer an aluminium frame with wooden tread (maybe even painted to a choice of colours), it might

provide an alternative to the Miracle Leisure product.

I'm not that bothered about the ladder personally, but would pay £49.99 for an aluminium plank for decorative purposes :lol:

Edited to add that according to their website, the Miracle one is now £98 plus p+p

Edited by NB Willawaw

The Miracle Leisure product was covered on the other forum back in 2007 and ironically

it re-surfaced last week, which is probably why it was at the forefront of my mind.

It was about seventy something quid then and its 88 Pounds now (inflation for you).

Unless you make an awful lot, I would guess you are going to struggle to match that, once you

cost in the labour.

You either have to make your product with an extra feature or you work on beating their price.

A few people I know have had their planks "permanently borrowed" off their roof.

If you could offer an aluminium frame with wooden tread (maybe even painted to a choice of colours), it might

I'm not that bothered about the ladder personally, but would pay £49.99 for an aluminium plank for decorative purposes :lol:

I agree - something simple, with non-slip tread around the £50 mark would be perfect for me.

I am in the process of making one for free. The alunminium ladder was aquired through freecycle, and the timber bolt on section is being made from two old barge boards, re-cycled from the house when we had Plasic fascias and guttering fitted.

Someone on t'other thread suggested they'd like a wide one, for fatties and the infirm one supposes. However, I thought that sounded a good idea. But a wide plank wouldnae fit in a standard rack, so how about something like:-

GangPlank.png

or is that a crap idea?

no, it's not a crap idea, nine! i have been toying with this one myself for a while now as visitors are sometimes a little nervous of narrow planks. i think it's a quite elegant solution to a problem and suspect it would be quite strong too.

anyway, you will be hearing from m'learned friends any time now regarding my patent infringement case.

:lol:

cheers

nigel

cost in the labour.

Edited to add that according to their website, the Miracle one is now £98 plus p+p

They make two versions the £98.00 has a removable checker plate infill. The cheaper £88.00 the infill is fixed major features for us were the weight and the ladder.

You either have to make your product with an extra feature......

The Miracle leisure one is a bit TOO basic.

Extra features I'd like....

Some sides e.g. c. 7cms/3" high, for those of a nervous disposition or just a bit of extra safety particularly in icy weather. Could be hinged so could flip-up or down.

A ring in each corner (e.g a small mooring ring) for tying/securing.

For me its lightness.

- We have a ali framed phenolic decked plank that was swapped for the (slightyl to heavy) piece of 2*8 oak found in the cut.

- I have to say, though to heavy also, the oak was far better for almost everything except carrying the genny off when mood out a long way (once)

- I cant really give figures, but may 15-20kg all up might not be a stupid target to aim for. About 10inch width, 5-6ft long maybe> (could do a range)

Daniel

I find if you ask a what do you want question, you tend to get a lot of differing answers.

This is fine to test and define the range of what might be required for a product and is a necessary part of the research

to develop something.

However, those making responses need to understand that its not possible to give everybody what they want.

Also, if you try to make something that satisfies everybody, then the cost will be prohibitive.

I suggest that it might be useful if those defining anything other than a straight one piece aluminum plank put a price indication

of how much they would be willing to spend on their preference. This might sort the wheat from the chaff.

So for me:

Normal plank width? Yes

What length? 2m

Sides? If so, how high? No (not prepared to pay the extra cost and this might become a trip hazard)

Securing to boat? no

Bolt in hand rail? no

Anti slip base? yes

Price target £49.99

Edited by NB Willawaw

...from this thread: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28307

Talk to me on here about these gang planks...... sizes / material / shape / form and also desired purchase cost!

Cheers

Neil

The ladder based ones seem too wide for the "scaffold plank" width plank holder so I think it would need an option at that width and the fold open idea for extra width seems very good.

Someone on t'other thread suggested they'd like a wide one, for fatties and the infirm one supposes. However, I thought that sounded a good idea. But a wide plank wouldnae fit in a standard rack, so how about something like:-

GangPlank.png

or is that a crap idea?

Planks like that are already available commercially for keeping in a car for wheelchair access to buildings, here are dew examples :-

http://www.theramppeople.co.uk/Xtra-Wheelchair-Ramp

http://www.ddashop.com/khxc/index.php?app=...aoz36k0l946u5c9

http://www.rollaramp.co.uk/dda-disablity-discrimination-act/

Just google portable wheelchair ramps tofind dozens of examples.

Planks like that are already available commercially for keeping in a car for wheelchair access to buildings, here are dew examples :-

http://www.theramppeople.co.uk/Xtra-Wheelchair-Ramp

http://www.ddashop.com/khxc/index.php?app=...aoz36k0l946u5c9

http://www.rollaramp.co.uk/dda-disablity-discrimination-act/

Just google portable wheelchair ramps tofind dozens of examples.

They're all very lovely, but have an associated 'loveliness' price tag. Disabled folk seem to pay even more of a premium than boaters when it comes to equipment.

Perhaps it isn't possible to make something like Nine's design at 'boaty' prices (say £99.99 for a folding ramp with no sides) - I'm not in the fabrication business so wouldn't know.

Tony

This Site was posted on another thread about brass cleaning. Scroll down, they do a couple of ladder gang planks for under £100 :-

http://www.miracleleisureproducts.co.uk/cl...g-products.html

Edited by David Schweizer

or is that a crap idea?

Good idea, although not new! Looks like a wheelchair ramp they use on trains, etc... http://www.theramppeople.co.uk/folding-wheelchair-ramps

Based on 4 section ladder with one section cut off. 8' in length, pins to boat and shore, folds up to one third size for stowage or two thirds for shorter gangplank, 1.5mm ally checkerplate

005AllCannings.jpg

Were can i buy one and how much?

tanks

owl