Engineered Metal Products

Neildudman

Featured Posts

Ok,

So I've got a little engineering sideline make protection plates for off road cars.

What could be made and sold in numbers to the boat community?

We can laser and water cut and also bend and weld steel and Ally.

What do you need in the market place???

Ok,

So I've got a little engineering sideline make protection plates for off road cars.

steel or ally boats

You can't get door handles for the old type of Smev 'Deluxe' oven any more. I waited 2 months for a spare from Alde (sole UK agents) and it was the wrong sort. Yes I know a metal handle might get hot, but it would still be safer than levering the oven door open with a big knife, which is what I have to do now.

Villager Puffin stoves could do with some aftermarket accessories, too. They're really good stoves but could be absolutely great with a few mods. A grate where the slots run front to back, for starters (the thing is just over-square, so you can't turn it round). And the small grille that retains the front of the fire, just inside the door, is rubbish - the design used in my Nan's old Rayburn was much better. Oh and the ashpan / handle design isn't brilliant either! :lol:

Edited by sociable_hermit

Ok,

Decent mooring pins I reckon, 700mm of 25mm steel bar with a good strong "D" and a top that can take a hell of a hammering. Also, strong, light aluminium gang planks, 2m X 300-400mm is around what I would like, with a good grippy surface on it.

Plank racks and fender hooks? (:S)

Maybe ali decked gang planks as above?

Maybe top boxes, coal bunker/deck lockers?

Pigeon boxes prehaps, weldin houdini hatch blanks?

But a lot will be one-off custom i guess.

If your taking one off orders, i'll have to start holding onto my wallet more tightly.

Daniel

If you are looking to do this as a volume cottage industry type venture, then there are a few things to be aware of.

If you sell items for profit, there are responsibilities concerning safety, being fit for purpose.

Modifying other peoples equipment can be fraught with danger.

The mass inland boating community don't tend to pay much for anything, generally speaking, so your pricing will have

to be super-competitive (i.e. low) if you want to sell a volume.

If you make something that is hard to get anywhere else, the chance is that there will be little demand for it, so you won't sell

many. If you make something that is very popular, the chances are that there will competition and the benchmark in the inland waterways

tends to be Ebay.

Personally, I think the aluminium gangplank idea is a good one, but competitive products already exist, so you need to look at your costs.

Good luck.

Ok,

I'd like to confirm the solar panel request....

It needs to hold the panels...be easy tilltable and rotatable...but will need to bolt down ( easily as we have short attention spans for such things ) so no tea-leafs can also enjoy your panels...

It would need to be easily adaptable as there are so many solar panel sizes....( mine are about 1.5 metre by 510mm)...

While your at it...can you give me the lottery numbers and walk on water...?

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

Personally, I think the aluminium gangplank idea is a good one...

Me too.

However, a certain chandlers in the Midlands told me a couple of years ago that no-one sells gang planks any more because of the HSE implications. If it broke/slipped off the boat/got slippery/whatever the supplier could be sued for your broken leg.

Dunno if that's true, but knowing the absurd litigious mode that this country's in, coupled with the Nanny State mentality of Jobsworths with clip boards it wouldn't surprise me.

Tony

Okay. Build 20 Aluminium planks with a clear label on it saying "not suitable for use on boats or as a boarding device - the manufacturer can accept no responsibility if the device is misused in this way" :lol:

I'm sure most of us who have posted will buy one for er..er..decoration on our boat roofs.

Edited by NB Willawaw

Ok,

a steel ice breaker that would drop over the bow in winter, i have a design in mind that would work

Okay. Build 20 Aluminium planks with a clear label on it saying "not suitable for use on boats or as a boarding device - the manufacturer can accept no responsibility if the device is misused in this way" :lol:

I'm sure most of us who have posted will buy one for er..er..decoration on our boat roofs.

Perfect!

:lol: