Manure

tosher

Featured Posts

Another interesting fact is that manure was a major canal traffic - nightsoil and street sweepings from the days before sewers and of horse transport. Around 1890, some 150,000 tons were carried out of Liverpool annually, and used to fertilise the agricultural lands around Burscough. The traffic continued until after the Second World War as Bootle still had a good number of houses which were not connected to mains drainage, with the ships importing cattle from America adding to the cargoes. In the days of sail, the cattle boats would be cleaned, the holds lined, and emigrants carried on the return voyage. No wonder many became sick! There's a more complete description of the delights of the traffic in Liverpool and Its Canal.

In the 18th and 19th centuries there were them what surived by gathering dog poo and other such deposits off the streets to sell to the tanners. They called it "pure" and it was spread on hides to help along the process from skin to leather.

In the 18th and 19th centuries there were them what surived by gathering dog poo and other such deposits off the streets to sell to the tanners. They called it "pure" and it was spread on hides to help along the process from skin to leather.

Woollen fullers collected lant, but you probably think I'm taking the p**s.

I wonder if it was 6d a pound?

Yes, I think it and the Somersetshire Coal Canal were the only ones to identify their intended cargo in their names

The Halifax Branch of the Calder and Hebble used to have a "gaux" boat I believe, carrying untreated sewerage.

Not so much shit as Chemicals, it caught fire in the 1960's

I seem to recall reading in a photo mag back in the 70's that someone had developed some film using just the water from the Thames/Rhine (not sure which), that's chemicals for you.

Phil