Manure

tosher

Featured Posts

Is this true ??????

Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

I had always thought it was a golf term.

Ah, just the man. Another one for CANOE* I think

Richard

*Campaign to assign a naval explanation, um, er, what's the acronym** again?

**acroynms are apparently a 20th century invention

Campaign to Assign a Nautical Origin for Everything.

Actually the acronym is named after the small winch that reduces the size of the "acro" sail. The top sail in a gaff rigged yacht.

Another interesting fact is that manure was a major canal traffic - nightsoil and street sweepings from the days before sewers and of horse transport. Around 1890, some 150,000 tons were carried out of Liverpool annually, and used to fertilise the agricultural lands around Burscough. The traffic continued until after the Second World War as Bootle still had a good number of houses which were not connected to mains drainage, with the ships importing cattle from America adding to the cargoes. In the days of sail, the cattle boats would be cleaned, the holds lined, and emigrants carried on the return voyage. No wonder many became sick! There's a more complete description of the delights of the traffic in Liverpool and Its Canal.

For one canal it was such a prominent cargo that it was included in the navigation's name....The Tamar Manure Navigation

Yes, I think it and the Somersetshire Coal Canal were the only ones to identify their intended cargo in their names

The Halifax Branch of the Calder and Hebble used to have a "gaux" boat I believe, carrying untreated sewerage.

....and the Manchester Shit Canal.

Not so much shit as Chemicals, it caught fire in the 1960's

So the Aylesbury Arm's main cargo wasn't body parts, then?

No more than the Rufford Branch carried tree parts, in fact, probably rather less

The Aylesbury Arm does have ducks though...

It's something that just happened to cross my mind when I became Chairman. SCC is named after a county (which it is no longer in, but I daren't tell the members that) and a cargo. I can think of other county canals, the Monmouthshire, the Glamorganshire, at a push the Shropshire Union (not it's original name) but after the cargo... not usual.

But buying a field and a herd of cattle is not very cheap...

An old Anglo Saxon law states that trespass with intent to collect fuel inthe form of fallen timber and cow dung for personal use is entirely within the law so long as the collector is a member of CWDF and does it after dark and doesnt get caught.... :lol:

An old Anglo Saxon law states that trespass with intent to collect fuel inthe form of fallen timber and cow dung for personal use is entirely within the law so long as the collector is a member of CWDF and does it after dark and doesnt get caught.... :lol:

I could do with some of that fuel here, it's cold in this boat, could have something to do with the fact that I have removed 12 feet of lining and insulation and fitted a new side door with no frame yet, ccccc-cold :lol: