More builders go..

Ally

Featured Posts

To All those we have upset, I am sorry!

To all those who want to gloat, knock yourselves out but look over your shoulder before you do!

To all those who came, went or stayed and have a kind word to say about us. Thank you.

Reading marine has indeed closed its doors, but the yard at Aldermaston has not seen its last pump out and will be open for business as usual very soon.

A slow order book, a constant wanting of everything for almost nothing by boaters and a sprinkling of miss fortune placed us here.

If you have one of our boats and need advise or help. Our phone is always on.

Thanks

I would hope no-one is gloating at anyone elses misfortune.

No-one, I believe, sets out to fail themselves or others, but are just unfortunate to have to deal with assorted problems that we all have to deal with nowadays.

I for one offer my sympathy to anyone who finds themselves in such a position.

I believe in people..........perhaps that will be my downfall!! It has been on occasions in the past, but I will still believe in the basic good intentions of most.

As for wanting something for nothing all we wanted was a reasonable job for the money and you did a poor one knowing you were going bust -

Although you are having problems with the work done I really doubt anybody would have done a poor job just because they were in trouble? I suspect the guy doing the painting would have got the bad news about the same time as the rest of the world.

Paul

Although you are having problems with the work done I really doubt anybody would have done a poor job just because they were in trouble? I suspect the guy doing the painting would have got the bad news about the same time as the rest of the world.

Paul

I was being charitable! The only other explanation is that bad work is done there as a matter of course.

Mick

I was being charitable! The only other explanation is that bad work is done there as a matter of course.

Mick

For clarity these are the problems:

Blacking- rust came through after 8 days

Fenders left scattered all over the yard

Fender hook broken

Interior mats left covered in oil and had to be thrown out

Wooden trim left off and not re-fixed

Galvanic isolator sited in inaccessible place

Mess from installations, woodshavings etc left on the worktops and on the floor.

Not indicative of a company which takes pride in their work.

I have worked in the building trade for 28 years and neither I or any of my workforce would walk into a customer's premises without laying dustsheets all the way through, and I would certainly always clean up afterwards.

ps. with the exception of the blacking all the work was done by the owner!

Mick

Mick

I don't want to jump to anybodies defence Andy and Richard are well capable of that, but these stories always tend to have two versions, and i've no doubt yours and RM's will be different in many ways.

Paint jobs on boats can be a problem and do go wrong even to boatbuilders of high standards.

It's the way its dealt with after that makes the difference I would think RM would have invited you to return the boat for inspection had they not gone into administration. If you just approached them and asked for a refund without offering them the chance to inspect it then i'm not surprised, considering their circumstances, you are feeling less than satisfied.

Paul

Mick

For clarity these are the problems:

Blacking- rust came through after 8 days

Fenders left scattered all over the yard

Fender hook broken

Interior mats left covered in oil and had to be thrown out

Wooden trim left off and not re-fixed

Galvanic isolator sited in inaccessible place

Mess from installations, woodshavings etc left on the worktops and on the floor.

Not indicative of a company which takes pride in their work.

I have worked in the building trade for 28 years and neither I or any of my workforce would walk into a customer's premises without laying dustsheets all the way through, and I would certainly always clean up afterwards.

ps. with the exception of the blacking all the work was done by the owner!

Mick

Did you ask for an explanation?

None of the above (with the exception of the blacking perhaps) are huge issues are they?

Did you make your list of requirements clear?

Did you ask for an explanation?

None of the above (with the exception of the blacking perhaps) are huge issues are they?

Did you make your list of requirements clear?

Maybe not individually, but cumulatively they amounted to a job done without care or pride. Coupled with the rudest attitude I have ever come across, it's no wonder I, (and I know I am not alone) feel aggrieved.

Mick

Maybe not individually, but cumulatively they amounted to a job done without care or pride. Coupled with the rudest attitude I have ever come across, it's no wonder I, (and I know I am not alone) feel aggrieved.

Mick

Did you approach them in a reasonable manner or did you come across as rude yourself?

It is often those that dont kick off that get the outcome they want. Going in all guns blazing isnt neccesarily the way to get problems remedied.

You leave the job cleaner than when you arrived and if you break it, you replace or repair it.

Anything less is unprofessional and is indicative of the actual job being shoddy, too.

Not necessarily.

Mmmm! - when I was at work we got more complaints about our surveyors leaving muddy footprints through the house they were inspecting than anything else. It is not unreasonable to ask people visiting your house or whatever to take care and remove shoes if requested (I used to carry a pair of slippers for indoor inspections). If someone is carrying work on your house they should be prepared to cover floors and furniture with dustsheets as necessary.

Check the insurance cover of whoever is carrying work - all to often 'trades' carry no indemnity insurance.

Good job there are no Japanese boat owners over here as it was always necessary to remove shoes before entering their homes.

As I used to say to my lads - 'It's the arguing that takes the time'.

Leo.

So in what circumstances is it acceptable to go into someone's property to do work and leave a mess, with things stained, damaged or broken, then?

It is completely unprofessional to leave a mess and it reflects on the whole job.

Well you may make that judgement, however until both sides of the story are heard i shall not make judgement. We dont know the whole story behind the work carried out and neither do we know if the tradesmen where completely finished when the boat was picked up.

So in what circumstances is it acceptable to go into someone's property to do work and leave a mess, with things stained, damaged or broken, then?

It is completely unprofessional to leave a mess and it reflects on the whole job.

Quite agree.

In addition if a workman / tradesman leaves a mess, you are more likely not to re-engage them - nor are the people you tell.

PLUS when times are tough you should be making extra effort to retain and promote custom.

Well you may make that judgement, however until both sides of the story are heard i shall not make judgement. We dont know the whole story behind the work carried out and neither do we know if the tradesmen where completely finished when the boat was picked up.

The boat was on their hardstanding for eight weeks and had already been put back into the water when we collected it.

(Incidentally it was put back in facing east when we had said several times we were heading west. Why were we not surprised. :lol: )

The proposal to remedy the work was to lift it, black the waterline and put it back in the water all on the same day.

:lol:

Well you may make that judgement, however until both sides of the story are heard i shall not make judgement.

I'm making no judgement about this particular case.

I am saying that in all circumstances, if someone comes into your property, to do a job, then they should leave the place immaculate. No mess, no damage.

The boat was on their hardstanding for eight weeks and had already been put back into the water when we collected it.

(Incidentally it was put back in facing east when we had said several times we were heading west. Why were we not surprised. :lol: )

The proposal to remedy the work was to lift it, black the waterline and put it back in the water all on the same day.

Blimey there's a winding hole a few hundred yards either side of Reading Marine, a lock or a little reversing is hardly hardship is it?

Or do you think they did it deliberatly so they could sell you some fuel for your extra journey :lol:

Phylis, if you need any work done on your boat, or house, do not hesitate to call me...

If we find something the OH cant/wont do then we will.

And was it ready for collection or did you just arrive unannounced? With the best will in the world, jobs can and do over run.

I can't stand by and let this go un-responded to - Ours was possibly one of the last builds done there, and over a long build time I can not re-call any, even "niggles", with their workmanship or lack of professionalism, and would recommend them for a build to a friend. Sure, there are a few things that need sorting on our boat, which I would have myself done sooner, had I not got two broken legs and still pretty disabled, but I can, and will, do these over time myself. I think it was "Bunny" who had some work done in the last week or two of January and seems to have had no problems - The guys I met, I thought really knew their stuff, the woodwork is beautifully crafted with the rounded corners etc - the electrics ( as forum members might have realised is my forte) were better than I thought they would/could be - and really neat ! - fittings and equipment are all quality items. My special wiring and other requirements were incorporated without problems or grumbles from anyone and we are really pleased with the boat.

I am sorry for both sides if someone is not happy with something, and would be surprised if things can't be sorted out, although the next few weeks might be a difficult time for them, but I would urge anyone to hear all sides before condemning their work. There must be more than meets the eye as to me it is completely out of character from what we have seen.....

Nick

I can't stand by and let this go un-responded to - Ours was possibly one of the last builds done there, and over a long build time I can not re-call any, even "niggles", with their workmanship or lack of professionalism, and would recommend them for a build to a friend. Sure, there are a few things that need sorting on our boat, which I would have myself done sooner, had I not got two broken legs and still pretty disabled, but I can, and will, do these over time myself. I think it was "Bunny" who had some work done in the last week or two of January and seems to have had no problems - The guys I met, I thought really knew their stuff, the woodwork is beautifully crafted with the rounded corners etc - the electrics ( as forum members might have realised is my forte) were better than I thought they would/could be - and really neat ! - fittings and equipment are all quality items. My special wiring and other requirements were incorporated without problems or grumbles from anyone and we are really pleased with the boat.

I am sorry for both sides if someone is not happy with something, and would be surprised if things can't be sorted out, although the next few weeks might be a difficult time for them, but I would urge anyone to hear all sides before condemning their work. There must be more than meets the eye as to me it is completely out of character from what we have seen.....

Nick

im on the k and a too, your more than welcome to come along and have a look, pm me if you'd like to.