Light switches

Featured Posts

Hi All

Is it acceptable to use a normal household 240v light switch for 12v (provided it covers the necessary amperage) ? - there`s obviously a MUCH greater choice than one can buy thru` chandlers and the like

Sorry if this has been covered before - I`ve hunted thru` the forum and can`t seem to find anything on the subject

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard.

Domestic light switches are perfectly adequate for your boat, they are normally rated at 5 amps or so. The only problem you may encounter is the physical size of the terminals, as we tend to use thicker conductors that in domestic use try to find a type with big enough apertures for the wires and find a way of wiring the lights in such a way that you do not need to get more than one wire into a single terminal.

Edited by John Orentas

Is it acceptable to use a normal household 240v light switch for 12v (provided it covers the necessary amperage) ? - there`s obviously a MUCH greater choice than one can buy thru` chandlers and the like

Yes it is acceptable, but you need to be generous with the current rating. If a switch is rated at 5 Amps for 240vac it will NOT reliably switch 5 Amps of 12 volt DC. The problem is caused mainly by sparking at the contacts when switching off. I can't remember the correct de-rating factor, hopefully someone else here will know, but at a guess I'd say at least 3:1 for lighting (and a good deal more for inductive loads such as motors etc) - so my guess is that a 5 Amp switch would be suitable for a light of up to 20 watts.

Yes it is acceptable, but you need to be generous with the current rating. If a switch is rated at 5 Amps for 240vac it will NOT reliably switch 5 Amps of 12 volt DC. The problem is caused mainly by sparking at the contacts when switching off. I can't remember the correct de-rating factor, hopefully someone else here will know, but at a guess I'd say at least 3:1 for lighting (and a good deal more for inductive loads such as motors etc) - so my guess is that a 5 Amp switch would be suitable for a light of up to 20 watts.

Allan.

There isn't a formal de-rating factor it is a function of the air gap and contact speed. These days the dual specifications seem to be disappearing from such products. A normal lighting circuit being a non inductive load the difference can be disregarded.

Allan.

There isn't a formal de-rating factor it is a function of the air gap and contact speed. These days the dual specifications seem to be disappearing from such products. A normal lighting circuit being a non inductive load the difference can be disregarded.

Thanks John, I guess my info is somewhat out-of-date. I guess that's what happens when you retire.

........................The problem is caused mainly by sparking at the contacts when switching off.

So is it not possible to put a capacitor across the contactst to absorb the spark?

(notice I did not say slap a capacitor across the contacts)

So is it not possible to put a capacitor across the contactst to absorb the spark?

(notice I did not say slap a capacitor across the contacts)

From experience I would suggest that Normal domestic switches are fine. I recently changed all mine onnthe boat (for cosmetic reasons) and they had been in service for over twenty years. Some of them are now operating (240 volt) lighting in my workshop at home.