Selling a boat

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

We're thinking about selling up and moving further South. Yes, we are finally succumbing to the call of a house with a garden for chickens and veggies. Mostly though, we want to be near the coast and that doesn't seem to be possible if we stay on the boat.

In order to be able to put an offer in on a house we need to be fairly confident of how much our boat will sell for. I've been trying to keep an eye on Apolloduck and similar websites, but it's hard to see what's selling and what's not.

So what I'm after is an idea of what the boat-selling market is like at the moment? Is it easy or difficult to sell? I know that may be a 'how long's a piece of string' type question, but somebody might be able to give me some kind of idea.

To give you an idea of what our boat is like: 57 x 10'6 widebeam built by Colecraft in 2005. 2 bedrooms, semi-trad stern. Just been blacked and BSS checked. I know there's a lot more to it than that, but those are the basics.

And no, this isn't a For Sale ad; I will be sure to put that in the For Sale and Wanted section. This is just so that I might be able to get some opinions about how easy it is to sell a boat at the mo.

We're thinking about selling up and moving further South. Yes, we are finally succumbing to the call of a house with a garden for chickens and veggies. Mostly though, we want to be near the coast and that doesn't seem to be possible if we stay on the boat.

In order to be able to put an offer in on a house we need to be fairly confident of how much our boat will sell for. I've been trying to keep an eye on Apolloduck and similar websites, but it's hard to see what's selling and what's not.

So what I'm after is an idea of what the boat-selling market is like at the moment? Is it easy or difficult to sell? I know that may be a 'how long's a piece of string' type question, but somebody might be able to give me some kind of idea.

To give you an idea of what our boat is like: 57 x 10'6 widebeam built by Colecraft in 2005. 2 bedrooms, semi-trad stern. Just been blacked and BSS checked. I know there's a lot more to it than that, but those are the basics.

And no, this isn't a For Sale ad; I will be sure to put that in the For Sale and Wanted section. This is just so that I might be able to get some opinions about how easy it is to sell a boat at the mo.

As far as I can tell - - the majority of the boats are selling for 10% ~ 15% below the asking prices that you see advertised

Just a thought....

Clicky

Sorry I can't answer your actual question, though.

Nice though..

Can't say whether it's significant or not but having been delving around a few brokers sites over recent weeks there does seem to be an increase in the numbers of boats some have on brokerage (ie there seems to be a fair few on the market) - not sure if this is common for this time of the year or if it's linked to the recession and sellers have hung on hoping for better times.

That said this is at odds with the numbers of NB's that AD have had on their list for sale - it's currently around 765 while in the summer/autum last year it reached nearly 1,000.

Good luck if/when you decide to sell.

There's certainly a fair few on the market at present and i think the number is increasing. However, there is always a market for a good boat at the right price. Just remember that most of the prices on Apollo Duck are far too high to be realistic. Some of the boats on there have been up for sale for up to at least two years .....

Best of luck and hope you get what you need to start a new life.

D

From my own experiences its always been a buyers market. If a private individual wants to sell their boat in a hurry it amazes me how little they will accept. More boats than customers.

With running costs so high some folk who for whatever reason cannot continue boating and want to sell up a.s.a.p. will accept such a low figure.

Ive seen this happen a number of times and have purchased a number of boats myself for what I believe to be a steal.

On the flip side if you have a nice boat in good nick and you stick to what you believe to be a realistic and sensible asking price you will sell it eventually cus a lot of the boats in competition with yours will most proberbly have all sorts of problems to put of potential buyers.

The secret is to value it sensibly and offer the customer good value for their money because they can pick and choose.

Unless as Del Boy would have put it you manage to find some plonker with cash on the hip!!!!!

Of course if T&S have a nice live-aboard wide-beam, they could always bring it up to London and it's environs, and try and sell it there.

From the number of new ones appearing, there must be quite a few buyers for this type of boat!

(Runs for cover ! :lol: )

Just a thought....

Clicky

Sorry I can't answer your actual question, though.

I saw this "the depth averages around 26 feet (8m)"

and thought "deep water"

Then i thought...

How big is the land?

and I saw this "the depth averages around 26 feet (8m)"

and realised it's a lot of money for very little with a footpath running through it.

Very true but it is reasonably priced, compared to most scraps of land, down there.

As Phil and Kirsty say location, location, location

ps wehey first post using Jan's iPhone

Selling boats:

Easy when you are offering a good quality boat priced to sell.

Difficult if its been neglected and your trying to realise the rather optimistic asking prices you see advertised.

Selling boats is no different to selling houses. Being a buyers market most punters as well as wanting a boat that fits there needs they will expect the boat to be in absolutely tip top condition and require little or no work; and who can blame them? Boats require a serious outlay of cash for most people so expecting a faultless boat is not unreasonable especially of the boat is only a few years old.

So the moral of the story is make sure you boat is as perfect as humanly possible, priced realistically and hopefully folk will be queing up to buy it.

Oh and another thing, clear the boat out before taking your pictures for the advert, nothing worse than seeing someone elses bath robe hanging on the toilet door! :lol:

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Oh and another thing, clear the boat out before taking your pictures for the advert, nothing worse than seeing someone elses bath robe hanging on the toilet door! :lol:

Having looked at a lot of photos of boat interiors as part of out boat buying research (and visited at some brokers)

- I 100% agree, but would have been happy if that was all I'd seen...it is unbelievable how some sellers present their boats for sale.

Thanks or all the replies. Carlt, I have looked at the land in Lewes that you suggested and spoke to the owner, but the absolute maximum length is 52ft. I even asked about buying 2 moorings and using them both for our one boat, but the owner said that it's something to do with the planning permission - maximum length of boat is 52ft.

Anyway, from what everybody's saying, it sounds like if you have a good quality boat with no hidden problems, at a reasonable price, then selling shouldn't be a problem. So here goes...

Thanks or all the replies. Carlt, I have looked at the land in Lewes that you suggested and spoke to the owner, but the absolute maximum length is 52ft. I even asked about buying 2 moorings and using them both for our one boat, but the owner said that it's something to do with the planning permission - maximum length of boat is 52ft.

Anyway, from what everybody's saying, it sounds like if you have a good quality boat with no hidden problems, at a reasonable price, then selling shouldn't be a problem. So here goes...

Nothing to add, except good luck and enjoy the good life.