So how long did it take you..................

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Phylis, if you are going offshore are you prepared for the Mal de mare? Sea sickness can be very debilitating.

I would also suggest the use of life jackets (not bouyancy aids) and a harness for whenever anyone steps outside the cockpit as it is very easy in a swell to go over the side. Also consider if this does happen how are you going to get the person in the water back on the boat.

Good to see you have RYA Coastal Skipper qualification. You should have covered "man overboard" drill on this course.

You will have fun at sea. I must admit after many, many years sailing offshore the cut does seem a little tame at times but it is still boating and I love anything that floats.

We have been offshore in other boats and to date neither of us have suffered sea sickness to any degree. Granted this will be different in our own boat.

We bought off shore lifejackets when we bought the boat, complete with harnesses, crotch straps and spray hoods.

Man overboard has been practised on numerous occasions :lol: however these occasions have been on relatively calm still waters (the witham has very little flow for a river navigation unless in flood)

Heigham Sound can be quite vicious. I once hired a 2 berth sailing cruiser from Martham Ferry boatyard in early November. The river was so high that we could not get through Potter Heigham bridge. Even with the mast down, there was still a lack of 3 inches clearance.

So we stayed around Hickling and the pub. Went to West Somerton via Heigham Sound and it was so windy there were breakers rolling across the Broad, and we got soaked. Great fun, almost felt seasick on the Broads!!!

K

As somebody who's done the vast majority of their boating on hire boats, I've never had the luxury of being able to take weeks or months gaining confidence in a boat, or learning it's intricacies. If I want to get the most out of my holiday, then realistically if I pick the boat up on a Saturday afternoon for a week's boating, I need to know how it handles and where all the important bits are by the time I moor up on Sunday evening, maybe earlier.

Having said that, most of the boats I've hired over the years have worked exactly as they are supposed to and provided no major panics (I can recall one narrowboat that dumped it's coolant all over the bilges and left us drifting in mid canal, and a Yare & Bure One Design with rigging issues and no mudweight or quant. I was very glad that a friendly yacht appeared to tow us back into the channel after she refused to tack, as I was just about to strip down to my skivvies and go wading in Heigham Sound so I could push us off.)

I will admit that it's a lot easier to have confidence in a sailing boat, as with most of them you've got an engine to get you out of trouble if the rig fails, and any competent sailor should have no trouble handling the boat under sail if the engine fails.

Heigham Sound can be quite vicious. I once hired a 2 berth sailing cruiser from Martham Ferry boatyard in early November. The river was so high that we could not get through Potter Heigham bridge. Even with the mast down, there was still a lack of 3 inches clearance.

So we stayed around Hickling and the pub. Went to West Somerton via Heigham Sound and it was so windy there were breakers rolling across the Broad, and we got soaked. Great fun, almost felt seasick on the Broads!!!

K

We met so many people who got seasick coming across Breydon, we really enjoyed it!!

I think it's more a case of building confidence in my ability to spot and fix problems: I'm not more confident that the boat is flawless, but I am happy I can deal with snags as they arise.

MP.

Hear him...hear him

I spent 4 years crewing my old MFV and when i eventually took her over as skipper I spent another year with the ex skipper before I was confident in my ability.......the old Tub's ability was never in doubt even though she was over 70 years old