Installation of pump-out

Featured Posts

Has any forum member experience of retrofitting a pump-out loo (complete system) in an existing boat?

It will obviously require the present bathroom to be ripped out, but that's not too much of a problem as it needs renovating anyway. Obviously I need a holding tank made and fitted, and we'd like this centrally placed to avoid the dreaded list when full.

Any ideas on costs, all things considered? Anything else I should think about?

...and please don't bother telling me about the merits of pump-out versus cassette or portapotti - we've been through all that before.

Ta!

Has any forum member experience of retrofitting a pump-out loo (complete system) in an existing boat?

It will obviously require the present bathroom to be ripped out, but that's not too much of a problem as it needs renovating anyway. Obviously I need a holding tank made and fitted, and we'd like this centrally placed to avoid the dreaded list when full.

...and please don't bother telling me about the merits of pump-out versus cassette or portapotti - we've been through all that before.

Ta!

Did ours from new so no experience of retro fitting

Make sure tank is big enough, I would suggest 100gal minimum (6.25 gal per cubic foot)

Make pipe run from toilet to tank as short as poss and ensure it runs downhill to tank if any horizontal runs are needed.

Make all connections to top of tank, no dodgy leaks then.

We had a polyprop tank made to measure, very stable material and light enough for me and SWMBO to lift in through side doors, though a polyprop tank does need proper bracing.

We solved listing prob by having a second water tank on the other side under the dining area that doubles up as a ballast tank to counterbalance holding tank as it fills.

Our boat was a sialaway, but the previous owner had all the equipment ready to install without actually completing it, so I had to connect it all up etc.

Our tank was a heavy acrylic affair (about 40 gals.) so I found a convenient place under the bed/wardrobe, just a question of positioning the skin connections and sorting out piping (which is quite expensive for long runs).

Points to note:-

- try and fit a rinse out fitting if you can, I regret not doing so.

- make sure connections are right, all through top of tank, but pump out down as low as possible (leaving room to suck out anything that might get stuck) and a short a distance as possible to skin fitting, rest as high as possible. Allow room to get to fittings if you need to.

- ensure toliet is high enough and there is a fall to the tank, avoid sharp bends and droopy pipes.

- check whether you need a non return valve and or siphon loop on water supply, fit a separate isolation valve.

- if you use a drop through arrangement then yes it will involve a lot of 'modification' to the bathroom, if not then you are looking at power for macerator toilet and making sure its accessable for servicing!

- try and get hold of a self pump out unit for emergencies (depending on where you are likley to go).

Sorry cannot help with retro fit but our is approximately 30x50x150 cms and fits across the whole boat width, it has seven connection, yes 7.

They are one inlet from wc, two pump-out, two rinse and two ventilation.

The pump out and rinse are each side on the gunwale, the two vents are hull fittings just below the first rubbing strake.

Agree with RobinJ except for pump out being low down on tank, thinking about it now perhaps he means p/o on top of tank but p/o tube going to bottom of tank? which I agree with. Also I would recommend 38mm vent and same for rinse out to act as a backup vent when pumping put and to minimise any chance of blockages (don't want plastic tank imploding!) + of course 38mm p/o

Edited to add:

If you can try to have inspection hatches fitted on top of tank, toilet paper gradually builds up on inner sides of tank and sometime in the future a scrape down will be handy. I am going to do mine soon and I am already mentally and emotionally prepared!

Edited by nb Innisfree

Are you thinking of a dumpthrough (e.g. Mansfield Traveler) or one that's pumped to a remote tank? If the latter, manual or electric pump? With or without macerator? Would you like to discuss the relative merits of these? (I'm a dumpthrough fan myself on the grounds that you can't block it; there's hardly anything to go wrong, and you can access the tank for a good poke around through the toilet itself. The downside is that it can let the occasional whiff back into the room, but but only if the tank itself is whiffy, which it needn't be)

Are you thinking of a dumpthrough (e.g. Mansfield Traveler) or one that's pumped to a remote tank? If the latter, manual or electric pump? With or without macerator? Would you like to discuss the relative merits of these? (I'm a dumpthrough fan myself on the grounds that you can't block it; there's hardly anything to go wrong, and you can access the tank for a good poke around through the toilet itself. The downside is that it can let the occasional whiff back into the room, but but only if the tank itself is whiffy, which it needn't be)

hi .you say it needt be . mine is a bit when flushed but only frome the outside vent is this nromal .bob

hi .you say it needt be . mine is a bit when flushed but only frome the outside vent is this nromal .bob

Doesn't matter on the outside does it? I think part of our problem is that we don't have an external vent - but even given that, and the fact that the seal needs replacing, it's still not bad enough to be a problem.

Doesn't matter on the outside does it? I think part of our problem is that we don't have an external vent - but even given that, and the fact that the seal needs replacing, it's still not bad enough to be a problem.

hi thanks for that mine must be normal .only a prob when we flush and the windows or side door is open .meny thanks bob.

Agree with RobinJ except for pump out being low down on tank, thinking about it now perhaps he means p/o on top of tank but p/o tube going to bottom of tank? which I agree with. Also I would recommend 38mm vent and same for rinse out to act as a backup vent when pumping put and to minimise any chance of blockages (don't want plastic tank imploding!) + of course 38mm p/o

Thats what I meant - compromise between getting everything out and leaving a big enough gap not to get blocked!

On the basis 'keep it simple' I'd think a dump-through, provided this doesn't mean the tank has to be near the side of the boat. I'd like it central, with the pump out pipe going straight up through the roof.

And only if you stand there with the peddle down for ages, release as soon as you flush and no problem.

The problem I have found on more than one boat is the flush valve failing to close and filling the tank with clean water. I have fitted valve https://www.coopersdirect.com/pageview.php?...tockcode=NCT002 which requires pressing prior to flushing.

Edit to make link work, I hope

Edited by ditchcrawler

And only if you stand there with the peddle down for ages, release as soon as you flush and no problem.

The problem I have found on more than one boat is the flush valve failing to close and filling the tank with clean water. I have fitted https://www.coopersdirect.com/pageview.php?page=show_product&ecommerce_stockcode=NCT002 which requires pressing prior to flushing.

Brian - you've left a dodgy link, Squire!

The problem I have found on more than one boat is the flush valve failing to close and filling the tank with clean water. I have fitted valve https://www.coopersdirect.com/pageview.php?...tockcode=NCT002 which requires pressing prior to flushing.

Edit to make link work, I hope

Hello there Iwill be fitting a pump out to the boat i,m building and like your press tap for rinsing, how and whee in the system do you fit it. Is it part of the auto flush thus limiting the flow, or is it a separate supply, and if so how do you install it into the bowl. Hope I havnt missed something obvious.. :lol:

Hello there Iwill be fitting a pump out to the boat i,m building and like your press tap for rinsing, how and whee in the system do you fit it. Is it part of the auto flush thus limiting the flow, or is it a separate supply, and if so how do you install it into the bowl. Hope I havnt missed something obvious.. :lol:

It looks like a valve in the water supply pipe, pressing it supplies water to toilet for a set number of seconds. If flush valve opens when unattended water is already shut off. Simple but clever solution.