DENHAM DEEP LOCK SHUT 30th OCTOBER 05

nbtafelberg

Featured Posts

Hi

When that happens (sinking a boat) - can it be all pumped out and dried and made good as new again? Or are the electrics shot? I guess the wood inside might warp too. Anyone seen/had experience of this happening. I hope not, but of course, as an inexperienced boater, I'm afraid I'll do it one day :P

It used to be a regular occurrence in the Marple flight owing in part to the way it was constructed, the hire companies along with BW get them out, floated and pumped out in just a few hours, they would be back in the fleet within a week or so. The trick is to get it dried out and cleaned up quickly but of course the damage can vary considerably the worst case is when all the engine oil floats out and drifts into the boat, in that case all the soft furnishings and much of the furnishings have had it.

The engine/ gearbox and electrics don't suffer too badly, again as long as things are done without delay, even an alternator stands a good chance of survival if it is dried out throughly.

The trick is not to sink in the first place, that would make a good thread on it's own.

I heard of one guy who sunk his boat twice by forgetting to bolt down his weed hatch - same thing both times.

At Cow Roast lock, back in the 70s, a hire boat did the same thing - weed hatch left off.

It was a party of schoolchildren, and one of the "responsible adults", a teacher, almost unbelievably decided the thing to do was to try swimming UNDER the boat, as it was about to go down, to try and work out where the water was getting in . :P

Fortunately someone pointed out the obvious dangers, but some days people seem to leave their brain at home.....

I have heard they did allow them passage although the other boat is on the bottom of the lock.

Sounds bizarre !

Normally if a boat is sunk in an lock, with the water at its lower level, , much of the superstructure remains visible, even if the hull is firmly under.

Fill Denham with a boat on the bottom, and you'd be adding 11 feet of extra water, and I've thought a lot of extra pressure to push water into places it might not yet have gone.

Whilst it might just about be possible to take another boat UP alongside the stricken one, I wouldn't want to risk bringing one down, in case it got caught....

When that happens (sinking a boat) - can it be all pumped out and dried and made good as new again? Or are the electrics shot? I guess the wood inside might warp too. Anyone seen/had experience of this happening. I hope not, but of course, as an inexperienced boater, I'm afraid I'll do it one day :)

We were suspicious that a boat we looked at a brokerage, before we bought our current one, might have been under. Fortunately we were able to talk to an engineer that had worked on it at a hire firm, and confirmed it "sunk AT LEAST twice". He said that despite huge amounts of remedial work, it had remained problematic, contributing to it's early disposal..... I know I've got things to sort out with the one we did buy, but I suspect things can be a lot worse. (The boat I'm referring to has recently gone "under offer" - I'd love to see the surveyor's thoughts on it).

Come on, surely someone has some piccies of what can happen - I imagine a Denham one would look impressive....

Edited by alan_fincher