star class boat Pegasus

Kez

Featured Posts

I've been told that shes for sale (dont know where), anyone know if this is true?

Can't help with the "is she for sale ?", but at Easter she was moored on the Thames somewhere between Hampton Court and Kingston, and from other posts I got the impression had been there some considerable time.

She didn't particularly look like she was boated very often, either!

Last reported on the Thames in a terrible condition. A far cry from the showboat condition maintained by Dave, the previous owner.

A few hundred quid on paint and tar and everyone will be saying what a well kept boat she is, regardless of whether she's a tea bag, below the waterline, or not.

Edited by carlt

A few hundred quid on paint and tar and everyone will be saying what a well kept boat she is, regardless of whether she's a tea bag, below the waterline, or not.

PEGASUS should not be a "tea bag, below the waterline" as it was the subject of an Ian Kemp restoration only 21 years ago (completed 1989). I can remember PEGASUS prior to its restoration when it was a B.W.B. maintenace boat, latterly based at Hartshill.

PEGASUS should not be a "tea bag, below the waterline" as it was the subject of an Ian Kemp restoration only 21 years ago (completed 1989). I can remember PEGASUS prior to its restoration when it was a B.W.B. maintenace boat, latterly based at Hartshill.

That's the point I was trying to make. Pete.

I know of many "scruffy" boats whose owners have spent their money wisely, sorting out the hull, in preference to a shiny paint job.

I also know of a few "immaculate" restorations that I wouldn't take a toffee hammer, to the bottoms.

I've been told that shes for sale (dont know where), anyone know if this is true?

I know Pegasus well - that`s the mortal remains of my second paint job you see on the pictures. I also used the boat extensively some years ago and was working next door to Ian Kemp ( as ever it begins to seem - and I`m pleased to say it) when he and Dave Harris did the restoration.

I would expect the boat to make a very good buy for someone - it doesn`t look a million dollars but should be fundamentally sound.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know/guess how the 'twist' happened, must have been something major (?) and possibly something fairly public.

I might be wrong but I can't imagine it's a collision, i would guess at uneven loading for a long time (or maybe sunk?)

There was a small Northwich called Glypeus with a similar twist that was hydraulically straightened a few years ago.

Long narrow boats with no cabin are quite vulnerable to twisting, could maybe even be stresses in the original steelwork or rivetting.

Also I know it's difficult to tell from those pictures but there is little evidence of "completely twisted out of shape"

Edited by Chris Pink

Also I know it's difficult to tell from those pictures but there is little evidence of "completely twisted out of shape"

I agree.

Not doubting WJM's information on this, but when you pass it I can't say it looks any more bent than many other of the genre.

If I'm ever there again, I'll look more closely though.

I wonder whether it still has wooden bottoms, or has had it done in steel. I would imagine that might have repercussions on any straightening exercise, were it possible/necessary.

Anyone know/guess how the 'twist' happened, must have been something major (?) and possibly something fairly public.

It is quite possibly due to poor positioning of ballast, compounded by water in the hold.

It certainly doesn't look twisted beyond use or repair in any of the photos I've seen.

It is quite possibly due to poor positioning of ballast, compounded by water in the hold.

It certainly doesn't look twisted beyond use or repair in any of the photos I've seen.

It don't even look twisted to me! Certainly leaning to Port, but not much difference between the fore end to the cabin - at least, not from those pictures.

Put some blocks in one side for'ard, and ballast the diesel tanks to the opposite side, leave it like that for several months and I'll wager any twist will disappear.

Beyond use? You should have seen Graham Holland's steamer.

Derek

It don't even look twisted to me! Certainly leaning to Port, but not much difference between the fore end to the cabin - at least, not from those pictures.

Put some blocks in one side for'ard, and ballast the diesel tanks to the opposite side, leave it like that for several months and I'll wager any twist will disappear.

Beyond use? You should have seen Graham Holland's steamer.

Derek

Blimey now theres a name that has just taken me back quite a few years !

Graham and Jen Holland !!!

yeah good memories lol

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I can assure you that Pegasus is not twisted along it's length by any stretch of the imagination. She leans to one side purely from collection of water in the hold and positioning of ballast! She a good strong boat and has been well cared for by previous owners. Spent a number of years under the shed at Knighton when owned by the Hilton's.

I always have Hyperion listing slightly (obviously no where near as much as the pics of Pegasus and never when boating) to one side to allow water in the hold to be removed easily with a bilge pump.

p.s. it's Clypeus, not Glypeus. Now complete with a full length steel undercloth conversion.

Regards,

• 8 years later...