star class boat Pegasus

Kez

Featured Posts

I don't think that the operation comes within the definition of salvage, and law applicable at sea is not the same as that applicable inland anyway. However they do say they have taken possession of it after issuing "wreck notices" and there is obviously some pertinent law.

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

There were two "historic" boats at the location at one time I think?

The other boat is Bullfinch, a modern butty which used to be the fender boat a Braunston Marina.

just to the left of Alan’s first picture is “Oxford” or possibly “Endeavour” a launch or “tosher” tug - now I understand completely under water!

Paul

Edited by Paul H

Section 16 of the following Act covers relocation and removal:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/699/body/made

The 'owner' has 24 months from the time of 'notice' being given (seemingly the so called "wreck order") or lose the vessel, its contents and anything thereupon, unless during said time the owner pays up.

The displaced cratch board is probably what led people to think it had a severe twist when they looked back at it. There is an "interesting" line on one of the stern dollies that drops straight down into the water and not floating free while it is underway.

It is difficult to imagine someone has just abandoned it. There is presumably some underlying story - ill-health or something?

I think the cratch board has been displaced since the earlier towing images. Looks like they've been collecting junk on the way, and slinging it in the hold any old how. The stands and top boards are not now in situ.

Wonder what that line is attached to - mud weight; anchor; rudder! Bet it ain't booze . . .

10 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

I think the cratch board has been displaced since the earlier towing images. Looks like they've been collecting junk on the way, and slinging it in the hold any old how. The stands and top boards are not now in situ.

Wonder what that line is attached to - mud weight; anchor; rudder! Bet it ain't booze . . .

Could the line be tied to the hole in the rudder to keep it central as there appears to be no tiller and strings?

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

The displaced cratch board is probably what led people to think it had a severe twist when they looked back at it. There is an "interesting" line on one of the stern dollies that drops straight down into the water and not floating free while it is underway.

It is difficult to imagine someone has just abandoned it. There is presumably some underlying story - ill-health or something?

I was told by a previous owner of this boat that it was distinctly "banana" shaped.  So much so that passage through Rumps Lock on the T & M could only be made in one direction, the return journey involving a trip via the Shroppie.

I have no other evidence to substantiate this assertion.

George

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

I was told by a previous owner of this boat that it was distinctly "banana" shaped.  So much so that passage through Rumps Lock on the T & M could only be made in one direction, the return journey involving a trip via the Shroppie.

I have no other evidence to substantiate this assertion.

George

Why couldn't they wind the boat and reverse down the lock?

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Could the line be tied to the hole in the rudder to keep it central as there appears to be no tiller and strings?

This is a possibility. And the bulge would almost certainly be where the forward engine'ole bulkhead provided athwartships rigidity. Either side of this the hull has less support, and through pressures from craft, bank, or ice, would succumb to being pushed inwards.

Edited by Derek R.
Added text

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2018 at 21:32, stagedamager said:

I had heard she had been sold, but only on the towpath telegraph so don't take it as gospel.

Dan

it's not really my cup of tea but would have been a nice project to do given there is no convertion to remove

• 1 month later...