The Glory Hole

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

One for those of you who have never been through the Glory Hole or Lincoln City centre, plus it might help us warm up a little looking at some sunshine :lol:

(For those not in the know the Glory Hole is the third bridge on this vid)

Nice vid and great to see the sunshine - after watching the vid - think we need to investigate Lincoln?

Cheers Phylis

One for those of you who have never been through the Glory Hole or Lincoln City centre, plus it might help us warm up a little looking at some sunshine :lol:

We have beautiful sunshine here at the moment.

Still -6C though!

Tim

When I bought my present boat it came with a nicely painted mural (by somebody called Yarwood i think) of the 'glory hole' on each side, but this's the first time i've seen a proper picture of it. The 'muriels' are long gone now but they must have looked good when first done.

Paul

Well thanks for that - Lincoln will be packed next year!

You should have mentioned that the 'Glory Hole' goes under the main shopping street in Lincoln.

While you're on - why have they stopped any mooring in Brayford basin???

Alex

The moorings by the harbour masters office where condemed as too dangerous for public use. They have taken the platforms from the moorings but the piles are still in place albeit submerged. More than one boat has been stuck on them recently. There are visitor moorings avaliable at the other end of Brayford by the university long term mooring site, however these quickly fill up through the summer. We have found that the mooring outside the Green Dragon (after the first nridge on the video) is one of the best moorings for shopping or pub lunches.

Great vid!

I used to have a customer in The Glory Hole going back twenty odd years, don't know if they are still there (Gilbert Blade Solicitor???) and when we got discussing it at the 2008 working boats festival at Braunston after seeing it on a painting the guy running the stall told me that it was originally called "The Gory Hole" after a particularly gruesome murder that took place there along time ago and the name evolved as time went on.

Wonder if it's true?

Ideal place if you'er a bit of a boating poseur...... :lol:

(Oh and YT have taken the music track down for breach of copyright, thought you should know...)

edit for grammar.

Edited by MJG

You can never have enough in these parts :lol:

Something to do with the type of people who boat there, we have been led to believe!.......

(Posting on a Sunday ? - I hope you are claiming overtime! :lol: ..............................................)

Something to do with the type of people who boat there, we have been led to believe!.......

(Posting on a Sunday ? - I hope you are claiming overtime! :lol: ..............................................)

Just checking out a rumour that i have been banned from the other (Just) Canals forum. Seems its true although i am having trouble finding out why :lol:

Thought i would pop in here see what has been happening over the weekend :lol:

Just checking out a rumour that i have been banned from the other (Just) Canals forum. Seems its true although i am having trouble finding out why :lol:

Thought i would pop in here see what has been happening over the weekend :lol:

Err ---- watching the snow melt and missing your posts..............................

Leo

Like the video especially as we hope to go that way this summer. Is it mandatory to swig the beer or is that just to steady his nerves and why does his boat spend so much time going sideways......or is that the beer? !!

Like the video especially as we hope to go that way this summer. Is it mandatory to swig the beer or is that just to steady his nerves and why does his boat spend so much time going sideways......or is that the beer? !!

It is compulsary to swig beer whilst travelling through there. (More so when the canopy is erected and there is bugger all clearance :lol: )

The currents pull the boat sideways as the river narrows to flow through the city centre. Catches a few people out going the other way when they clobber the wall before the glory hole.

Phyllis I need to correct a detail

The bridge you pass under with the building on is called the High Bridge

The Glory Hole is the set of steps leading up from the river side path to the High Street just at the side of the building of the bridge

Phyllis I need to correct a detail

The bridge you pass under with the building on is called the High Bridge

The Glory Hole is the set of steps leading up from the river side path to the High Street just at the side of the building of the bridge

Depends on which book you read that one or whom you speak to.

Well you're speaking to one who has lived in Lincoln for 40 years

Plus as you begin to descend the stairs at the High Street the street name "Glory Hole" is clearly fixed

Edited by Bazza2