Isuzu Marine Engine

choogh

Featured Posts

One for the engineers.

I have recently bought an Isuzu 43hp Marine Engine, (but not yet collected) for installation in my new build. The engine comes with two 12v alternators mounted as standard, they used to do a 24v alternator as an option, but have now discontinued this option. My question. What is the type and size of mounts are required for the 24v unit,.? , or what brand of alt. will fit.. > I have asked the supplier, but no response (that should tell me something !)

One for the engineers.

I have recently bought an Isuzu 43hp Marine Engine, (but not yet collected) for installation in my new build. The engine comes with two 12v alternators mounted as standard, they used to do a 24v alternator as an option, but have now discontinued this option. My question. What is the type and size of mounts are required for the 24v unit,.? , or what brand of alt. will fit.. > I have asked the supplier, but no response (that should tell me something !)

They're A127s which should tell anyone who sells alt's something.

I dont know the answer to your question and I dont want to guess...what I will say is I spent 2 hours talking to HM plant about their isuzu 42hp marine engine. They themselves knew absolutely sod all...but they said they would give me the phone number of the guy that marinises them...from what I could see...he knows his stuff. If my existing BMC wasn't as good as it is I would of bought one..a superb motor at a a very good price and if you can get to talk to the mariniser I would imagine any questions would be answered no problem.

They are A127 units, rated on my 35hp Isuzu at 70A

Thanks one and all,

EVO.

if the telephone number of the HM Plant "mariniser" is available, can you onpass, seemingly, there are multi options of attachments of the alternator to the engine block, and I hope he can give some dimentions.

Sorry, I only had the contact number for the salesmen that were at last years IWA show...and I dont even have that anymore. However they told me that the engines come in raw from Japan and 1 guy and his mate marinise them at their own HM plant facilities. I would think just contacting HM plant and asking to talk to someone about their marine engines would suffice.

One for the engineers.

Are you actually intending to install a full domestic 24V system? If this is the case then you will have to install this separately to the 12V system for engine starting and control. Installing a 24V alternator will depend on what domestic alternator mount your engine comes with, some of them seem to come with a fairly robust mounting that should be easy to convert but on others I have seen the mounting is quite restrictive.

I have to say that with the Isuzu, unless you have very good reasons you would be better to stick with 12V all round.

The standard isuzu alternators are ususally the A127's and it is easy to convert these to battery sensed and it is worth while doing on the domestic one. I wouldn't bother with the engine alternator though, it's more than up to the job.

Regards

Arnot

I dont know the answer to your question and I dont want to guess...what I will say is I spent 2 hours talking to HM plant about their isuzu 42hp marine engine. They themselves knew absolutely sod all...but they said they would give me the phone number of the guy that marinises them...from what I could see...he knows his stuff. If my existing BMC wasn't as good as it is I would of bought one..a superb motor at a a very good price and if you can get to talk to the mariniser I would imagine any questions would be answered no problem.

Strange that, I went to the HM Plant factory in 2007 when it was at the airfield in Gloustershire and watched the engines being marinised in their workshops, what they didn't know about Isuzu marine engines wasn't worth knowing. Perhaps things have changed since they moved up t'north.

Strange that, I went to the HM Plant factory in 2007 when it was at the airfield in Gloustershire and watched the engines being marinised in their workshops, what they didn't know about Isuzu marine engines wasn't worth knowing. Perhaps things have changed since they moved up t'north.

Is Headley still with them? He knew a thing or two about the engines. Likewise the staff at the Bridgewater site. Perhaps all the "knowledge" has been moved on/out.

Edited to say we were delighted with our 33hp Isuzu. The fact that many hire fleets use them must tell you something- if only that there were some good deals about.

Edited by tony collins

Is Headley still with them? He knew a thing or two about the engines. Likewise the staff at the Bridgewater site. Perhaps all the "knowledge" has been moved on/out.

Edited to say we were delighted with our 33hp Isuzu. The fact that many hire fleets use them must tell you something- if only that there were some good deals about.

All of the engine production workforce and clerical staff employed in gloucestershire were made redundant at the end of 2008 when the company moved to newcastle.

And Bob Cantwell who moved from Lister Petter at Dursley at the same time as Headley (Hedley?)? He was the technical Applications Engineer and was my boss when I worked at Lister for a few brief months. It would have been a shame if these guys were made redundant as they helped set up the marine division for HMI. They worked their socks off at the shows selling the engines.

Roger

And Bob Cantwell who moved from Lister Petter at Dursley at the same time as Headley (Hedley?)? He was the technical Applications Engineer and was my boss when I worked at Lister for a few brief months. It would have been a shame if these guys were made redundant as they helped set up the marine division for HMI. They worked their socks off at the shows selling the engines.

Roger

Bob Cantwell, Hedley Beavis, and Martyn Harris remained with Isuzu for a few months but all left the company in 2009.

Bob Cantwell, Hedley Beavis, and Martyn Harris remained with Isuzu for a few months but all left the company in 2009.

Thanks for the info and the name of the third who I was trying to remember. Martyn left Listers slightly before Hedley and Bob who left more or less at the same time (probably recruited by Martyn). The three of them built up the marine division of HMI Isuzu very energetically. What a shame to lose those guys. I always used to stop in for a chat on their stand at any of the shows that I went to. Any idea what they're doing now?

Roger

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the info and the name of the third who I was trying to remember. Martyn left Listers slightly before Hedley and Bob who left more or less at the same time (probably recruited by Martyn). The three of them built up the marine division of HMI Isuzu very energetically. What a shame to lose those guys. I always used to stop in for a chat on their stand at any of the shows that I went to. Any idea what they're doing now?

Roger

Just seen your post. Hedley & Co have certainly left Isuzu and set up a new company in Berkley, Gloustershire. They are introducing a new engine range to the British narrowboat market and I believe that I am their first private customer with my boat being due for launch in May of this year.

Keith

Just seen your post. Hedley & Co have certainly left Isuzu and set up a new company in Berkley, Gloustershire. They are introducing a new engine range to the British narrowboat market and I believe that I am their first private customer with my boat being due for launch in May of this year.

Keith

Thanks for that. Baldock's link fills in the mystery quite well. I really hope they do well in these difficult times.

Roger

• 2 months later...
One for the engineers.

In answer to your original question, the 24V x 110A Alternator fitted to Isuzu Marine engines was a Leece Neville 8HLA unit. I'm sure if you get in touch with the Ex HMI guys they will be able to sort out a conversion kit if you really want to go 24V !

In answer to your original question, the 24V x 110A Alternator fitted to Isuzu Marine engines was a Leece Neville 8HLA unit. I'm sure if you get in touch with the Ex HMI guys they will be able to sort out a conversion kit if you really want to go 24V !

Thanks.. I have been in contact with Bob at Enginesplus, all sorted now... Shame HMI could not help.

One for the engineers.

Think that you actually have a 42hp not 43! Since HMI Isuzu centralised up north to their HMI Plant base and got 'disposed of' their highly qualified and helpful staff in Tetbury the quality of their customer care, technical and spares department has definately gone south imo. Not into electrickery stuff so much, but from new they used to do an option for 24v alternators. Am led to believe that the alts they use are commonly produced automotive units. Try a motor factors for a 24v upgrade. As a thought, if you are getting rid of the 12v alts supplied, there are people around the cut who could want them like hire cos etc as spares/replacements.