Tim Wilkinson's Hold on a Minute - real names of the boatpeople?

Joseph

Featured Posts

23 hours ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

Tommy Humphries has on his wedding cert  Bawtry listed as his abode when he married his second wife  Ellen Ward in

aug 1944

His first wife being Grandads sister Harriett Harrison ,Alf their  son is still with us & is a treasure for information when i visit him

JULY 1949 TOM HUMPHRIES ON USWORTH.jpg

Thomas Humphries & Ellen Ward Marriage certificate.jpeg

Alf Humphries.JPG

That piece of info about your Granddad's sister enables me to add you to my tree of boating folk. Just the 13 births and 2 marriages separating us.

Absolutely no shared DNA if that you makes feel any better about this revelation.

JP

Sorry don't know what went wrong but i did send you a copy of the said mentioned cert over a year ago when we where discussing  mine & your Humphries another of Grandads many  sisters Aunt Emily also married a Humphries have attatched wedding cert just in case you are missing that one same Humphries family but a different line . As you can see Harriett was a witness @ Emilys wedding the other is A Harrison nee Ann Stokes the lady who has her picture in a lot of Canal related books & places known as the Brentford boat girl. Henry Humphries was better known to family as Harry 

wedding emily.jpg

Thomas Humphries & Harriett Harrison Wedding Cert.jpeg

Thomas Humphries AKA Oxford Tommy or Oxford Tom, was Mike's uncle. The residence on the marriage certificate mentions "The Punch Bowl" which incidentally was where Tom was born. The Punch Bowl Inn has long since been demolished, circa 1950.

Punch Bowl 1950 (2).JPG

ETA. There is "new" Punch Bowl further up Tuttle Hill but it is now closed as a pub and is a pizza parlour

Edited by Ray T

36 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Thomas Humphries AKA Oxford Tommy or Oxford Tom, was Mike's uncle. The residence on the marriage certificate mentions "The Punch Bowl" which incidentally was where Tom was born. The Punch Bowl Inn has long since been demolished, circa 1950.

Punch Bowl 1950 (2).JPG

That's a better picture than the one's i have seen Ray.

I think there must have been a lay by or area there where the boat people could tie up for lengths of time as i have several wedding & birth certs for other family members (Harrison, Nixon Manders Bradshaw) giving the Punch Bowl address

Map from here: http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.5298&lon=-1.4815&layers=171&b=1

Punch Bowl in red

The Punch Bowl2.JPG

Found another picture by Reg Bull.

Punch Bowl.jpg

The Punch Bowl Inn at the bottom of Tuttle Hill was 50% owned by the Coventry Canal Coy. and Charles Mayer a director of Judkins Ltd. It was just about to be demolished in 1950. You can see why the canal bridge here is to widened. Beyond is the railway bridge at Nuneaton Abbey Street station. Judkins quarry is away to the left in this view and the entrance to Stoney Road was between the canal bridge and the railway bridge on the left.(Reg. Bull)

Edited by Ray T

15 hours ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

Sorry don't know what went wrong but i did send you a copy of the said mentioned cert over a year ago when we where discussing  mine & your Humphries another of Grandads many  sisters Aunt Emily also married a Humphries have attatched wedding cert just in case you are missing that one same Humphries family but a different line . As you can see Harriett was a witness @ Emilys wedding the other is A Harrison nee Ann Stokes the lady who has her picture in a lot of Canal related books & places known as the Brentford boat girl. Henry Humphries was better known to family as Harry 

wedding emily.jpg

Thomas Humphries & Harriett Harrison Wedding Cert.jpeg

I just looked back through our correspondence and I don't see it but I am not sure all attachments are still there.

It was definitely me and not Ray T?

It may have been that I couldn't link it to anyone I had got to in my research at the time and haven't been back to check all the information. Looking back at the correspondence again I think there is some useful stuff that I couldn't link into my records at the time but probably can now.

Thanks,

JP