buying a new pole and gangplank

whatkathydid

Featured Posts

Does the same apply to the boat itself ?

Sort that out, and your daughter might have less need for the 15 foot ash pole!

(Sorry - very naughty of me, but couldn't resist!. :lol: )

Of course! Ellen'd be fine: It's just me that gets anxious and acts like a headless chicken at times. I really, really want to get out on my boat and I will be on my own. Seems a shame to build her and then be too anxious to go out in her for fear of disasters (aka looking like a complete idiot as usual). Still having cold sweats about getting her out of the boatyard in one piece on the day Dave, Phil and the boys say "she's finished you can go away and leave us in peace now". I can feel the fear just typing this .... may have to go and get a cup of tea to get over it now.

Of course! Ellen'd be fine: It's just me that gets anxious and acts like a headless chicken at times. I really, really want to get out on my boat and I will be on my own. Seems a shame to build her and then be too anxious to go out in her for fear of disasters (aka looking like a complete idiot as usual). Still having cold sweats about getting her out of the boatyard in one piece on the day Dave, Phil and the boys say "she's finished you can go away and leave us in peace now". I can feel the fear just typing this .... may have to go and get a cup of tea to get over it now.

Now, just a minute. What makes you so special? The rest of us go around boating, bumping into things, running aground, breaking stuff and making complete idiots of ourselves at critical times, usually when there is a crowd watching, so why should you be exempt??

Richard

(Who got stuck winding Tawny Owl in front of the busy cafe at Hatton and had to be rescued by passers by with a rope :lol: )

(Who got stuck winding Tawny Owl in front of the busy cafe at Hatton and had to be rescued by passers by with a rope :lol: )

Ah, I know the location!

Somewhat foolishly I found myself trying to come down Hatton with the dead weight of a deep draughted 70 footer tied alongside our rather lightweight shallow draughted 50 footer.

Not helped by the way they were breasted together, (wrongly, basically!), the ensemble was fully capable of turning to the left, but had very little response to the tiller if trying to turn right.

We made it down as far as the cafe, but of course being where the biggest crowds gather, that's where it all went horribly wrong! :lol:

After that the guy with the 70 footer took over, and had zero difficulty bringing both boats down to the bottom - an arrangement always far more likely to have succeeded. I should have swallowed my stupid pride sooner!

Yep, I can still make a complete prat of myself, (and that's without the Bowler hat, Mr Schweizer, before you weigh in!........)

Now, just a minute. What makes you so special? The rest of us go around boating, bumping into things, running aground, breaking stuff and making complete idiots of ourselves at critical times, usually when there is a crowd watching, so why should you be exempt??

Richard

Yes, but ... Tawny Owl is 70ft long and I bet you've not seen the crowd outside the cafe ever again, whereas everybody at the Wharf knows me and I shall never hear the end of it plus you lot on the forum will laugh too when I tell you .....

It's all very nerve-wracking, I've even tried to bribe Ellen to take her first time but she's having none of it. ".... your new boat, your problem, you do it, I've got lectures that day ....."

Kids eh?

We gave up having a gangplank some years ago. We have replaced it with a short (2.5m approx) aluminium ladder, this has proved very useful when getting people out of the water. I was concerned that my OH would not be able to help me climb out of say a piled bank if I were to fall in and I would probably struggle to get her out. Our boat is shared and it has been used twice in the last two years - once when someone fell in against a piled bank and the other as a gang plank when the boat got caught on the remains of the old Trent Bridge foundations in Nottingham.

The ladder is kept padlocked to the gangplank rack and has 5m length of rope permanently bent on to it, the latter would enable the ladder to be hung from stern dollies.

I doubt if many boaters are able to pull themselves onto a piled bank from the water or onto to their boat. This is a real issue in winter when the water temperature is low - hypothermia would not take long to occur.

This leads to another point - we managed a days boating on the Soar recently. I was the only person wearing a lifejacket despite there being ice around the locks. Given the amount of clothes being worn to keep warm I doubt if many boaters would have managed to swim for more than a couple of minutes before succombing to the cold had they fallen in. I for one would rather look a prat than put my life at risk by not wearing a lifejacket.

Our old gang plank had calorific value so went into the stove - it burnt well!!

I was quoted 1.50 per foot for alu scaff pole from a place very close to The Crow; the locks up to Titford pools late last year. In the end a 10 footer was, err, acquired as it was, so I am told, surplus to requirements, for the humble fee of 2.75.

Considering Midland Chandlers were asking about 40 quid for a 14ft Ash pole last time I passed, I'd reckon aluminium scaffold poles may yet find their second homes...

edit... I can't remember their name, but this place are really close and should be able to signpost if it's not actually them.

Edited by Smelly

In the end a 10 footer was, err, acquired as it was, so I am told, surplus to requirements, for the humble fee of 2.75.

What are you actually able to use a 10 foot pole for ?

I don't recall any canals in your area being that shallow ?