BOAT IS SINKING AGAIN!!!

boatbot

Featured Posts

Given the amount of rain in the last couple of days - there's a fair amount of fresh on the Bristol Avon - it will be good to hear an update soon.

This is boatbot's wife here, boatbot has been up all night long worrying about our canal boat. It means so much to him and he has had the most awful year. We are doing our best to get back to England, but with family and work concerns, it has taken longer than expected. Yes, boatbot has made a few mistakes and he is frustrated by them. Please don't make too much judgement on him because he will be the first to help anyone in need. sometimes people need help more than once. I know he is so very greatful to the kindness people have given him and it makes him proud to be British. Again thankyou to those who have shown concern, we intend to return in a few weeks and we now have someone who is going to tow it to their boat yard to sort the problem. I would like to wish you all a happy new year.

BBt's wife

Do BW not also use standard blue "things" (Boom?) to stop oil spreading ? I seem to recall that Carl said when he went to pump it out before, that there was a lot of oil in the bilges and he didn't have the equipment with him to do anything about it. I think he suggested to the boat owner that he should have it (the oil) attended to by a yard. The fact that BW or someone has put a boom in place suggests that there is oil leaking. I don't think BW will do more than stop the spread of oil along the canal unless the boat owner can come to an arrangement (financial?) for them to pump out the bilges - being oily the liquid will presumably need to be pumped into containers and disposed of at an oil disposal site.

I do hope for everyones sake that the problem gets resolved soon before the boat suffers any more damage.

Haggis

Why we have two big col posters on the forum I cannot comment. I am happy to share as my sig is with capital C&B

However regarding this post it would be a fair analogy that to leave a cat at home with 300 tins of cat food and a tin opener, and go off wherever just about sums this situation up.

If this boat has already been down then the damage is done rather than keep refloating it leave it on the bottom until the owner is back home and can raise it and attend to whatever the problem is.

Big Col (original) :lol:

Edited by Big COL

I shall try to word this as diplomatically as possible.

I agreed to go and check Boatbot's boat and pump it out despite our forum spat, some time ago: (clicky) and expecting it to be a recurring problem.

Boatbot strikes me as someone who isn't the best person to own an ageing boat and relies too much on the assistance of others to get by.

That said I wouldn't see anyone in the sh*t so, if necessary, I will happily go and check the boat, again.

If, however, someone is taking it to a boatyard, then I shall, even more happily, stay away.

Edited by carlt

Do BW not also use standard blue "things" (Boom?) to stop oil spreading ? I seem to recall that Carl said when he went to pump it out before, that there was a lot of oil in the bilges and he didn't have the equipment with him to do anything about it. I think he suggested to the boat owner that he should have it (the oil) attended to by a yard. The fact that BW or someone has put a boom in place suggests that there is oil leaking. I don't think BW will do more than stop the spread of oil along the canal unless the boat owner can come to an arrangement (financial?) for them to pump out the bilges - being oily the liquid will presumably need to be pumped into containers and disposed of at an oil disposal site.

I do hope for everyones sake that the problem gets resolved soon before the boat suffers any more damage.

Haggis

Latest...the boat has had 20 inches of water pumped out of the engine compartment-it is now refloated however it has been suggested that I get the oil out at the yard as suggested above-the engine / fuel system and gearbox are full of water - the water was covering the gearbox and was over the fuel pump. It will be quite expensive to fix.

However once fixed it will be going again but I still have the problem of looking after "the cat"-so I will have to have help as I wont be back till April. I will ask the boatyard for advice and get in contact with people I know-as I said I am not asking for any more help from the forum-If anyone would like to help or has a boat nearby then feel free to contact me-As it will need looking at ever 2 weeks to make sure the water doesn't do this again-Someone suggested I seal the deck with gaffer tape, taurpaulin and maybe plywood to stop this as it has a huge stern-The problem is I am not there-so I will need to stop this, somehow.

I will return the favour to anyone, as I am an artist-I can paint as I restored the tiller of a butty not long ago-I can do anthing even lookling after other people's boats if u like-anyways I will have to get advice on prevention now so this WONT HAPPPEN AGAIN-a new bilge pump could do it? If anyone has an idea here-the boatyard might advise on this- thankyou for the support so far.

Latest...the boat has had 20 inches of water pumped out of the engine compartment-it is now refloated however it has been suggested that I get the oil out at the yard as suggested above-the engine / fuel system and gearbox are full of water - the water was covering the gearbox and was over the fuel pump. It will be quite expensive to fix.

However once fixed it will be going again but I still have the problem of looking after "the cat"-so I will have to have help as I wont be back till April. I will ask the boatyard for advice and get in contact with people I know-as I said I am not asking for any more help from the forum-If anyone would like to help or has a boat nearby then feel free to contact me-As it will need looking at ever 2 weeks to make sure the water doesn't do this again-Someone suggested I seal the deck with gaffer tape, taurpaulin and maybe plywood to stop this as it has a huge stern-The problem is I am not there-so I will need to stop this, somehow.

I will return the favour to anyone, as I am an artist-I can paint as I restored the tiller of a butty not long ago-I can do anthing even lookling after other people's boats if u like-anyways I will have to get advice on prevention now so this WONT HAPPPEN AGAIN-a new bilge pump could do it? If anyone has an idea here-the boatyard might advise on this- thankyou for the support so far.

A automatic bilge pump can only help if there is sufficient energy for it. You need to have something to keep the batteries charged. Solar cells or shore power.

Nick

I shall try to word this as diplomatically as possible.

I agreed to go and check Boatbot's boat and pump it out despite our forum spat, some time ago: (clicky) and expecting it to be a recurring problem.

Boatbot strikes me as someone who isn't the best person to own an ageing boat and relies too much on the assistance of others to get by.

That said I wouldn't see anyone in the sh*t so, if necessary, I will happily go and check the boat, again.

If, however, someone is taking it to a boatyard, then I shall, even more happily, stay away.

I am sorry u feel like that Carl-Ok, that really is OK-I appreciate your advice and help before-that "incident" was terrible and I feel it is yet another reason I will have to consider the future on the canals-As I said I feel when I get back I will take the boat out fix it and sell and not go on the canals as I feel it hasn't worked-I would prefer a new boat for sure and move constanly or be in a marina-I might try again later -in other words the live-on-the-canals idea hasn't worked and the constant maintenance for an old boat and the problems associated with it, BW, expense and the nuisance I have caused is too much. Its not worth effecting your health for or the worry of it-It is hard enough looking after a house which i will have to do and working to pay for it! I will be looking for dryland to start with-any in the rugby area? I could then work on the boat without fear of having to move it on or engine failure and breaking in-I probably will go back to LB to look there. Not sure at this stage-atleast its afloat and not at the bottom-thats something!!! Thanks for the positive advice-I sure appreciated that.

A automatic bilge pump can only help if there is sufficient energy for it. You need to have something to keep the batteries charged. Solar cells or shore power.

Nick

There is no shore power as its a BW permanent mooring-solar panal-tied to a battery-thats quit good idea but again I am not there to set it up-How would it work?YES the bilge losing power, thats a massive problem---All I need is something for 3 months or maybe less. Great idea.

I am sorry u feel like that Carl-

Sorry he feels like what,

sorry for helping you the last time your tub sank???

Lets try mammary??

Edited by MJG
Edited to remove offensive content

Sorry he feels like what,

sorry for helping you the last time your tub sank???

Up for my first warning here but you are starting to sound like a first class tit.

OK I think we will leave it now-U have misunderrstood-thats not what I meant-look this is what I I dislike about forums-u dont actually know what or who I am or sound like-I will leave it at that and inform the people who have been kind to me-did u read the post my wife sent? Thats what it is-OK I have made a mistake and if u want to help fine if u want to make nasty remarks (without reprecussions) when I am down, thats your choice And its not a tub its a canal boat that i love. It might be old, ugly but its all I have left of England.....

Is that a Blue Tit or a great Tit by the way

OK I think we will leave it now-U have misunderrstood-thats not what I meant-look this is what I I dislike about forums-u dont actually know what or who I am or sound like-I will leave it at that and inform the people who have been kind to me-did u read the post my wife sent? Thats what it is-OK I have made a mistake and if u want to help fine if u want to make nasty remarks (without reprecussions) when I am down, thats your choice And its not a tub its a canal boat that i love. It might be old, ugly but its all I have left of England.....

Is that a Blue Tit or a great Tit by the way

:lol:

No problem, and no hard feelings, either.

I am happy to help out, if needed, but pleased to see you have approached a boatyard, to store your boat, until you get back.

Thanks Carl I do appreciate, i do-the trouble is the boatyard will not store it-they have offered to remove the oil and take the engine apart for under 1000 but it will have to go back to the BW mooring I am paying for-so I am worried now having only had 2 hours sleep I feel awful and I am STILL worried as it could happen again and BW will be at me again-so I need a firm solution to work with-so this wont happen-It will be only a short time-atleast it isn't that poor butty that sank with wind turbine still working!

Found out today wife has a brain tumour, still trying to be civil though and the forum is keeping me above water so any squabbling seems trivial where istand or was that sit , happy new year matey

Oh man what a sh*tter!! :lol: - wishing you both good luck

Alex

Found out today wife has a brain tumour, still trying to be civil though and the forum is keeping me above water so any squabbling seems trivial where istand or was that sit , happy new year matey

Hucking Fell, :lol:

No idea what to say at this point other than a squabble on here is nothing in comparison.

Alex

Like wise, I do hope things workout well, A friend in the village was diagnosed with this, she went to Adenbrooks for an opp and her biggest problem after that was getting her driving license back. I hope that's the biggest problem you have as well.

Best wishes and the best of luck for the future

Alex

Like Mr Schweizer says it puts things into perspective..

Hucking Fell, :lol:

No idea what to say at this point other than a squabble on here is nothing in comparison.

Makes a boat going up and down in the water with its owner running round like a headless chicken seem like a walk in the park

Like Mr Schweizer says it puts things into perspective..

Makes a boat going up and down in the water with its owner running round like a headless chicken seem like a walk in the park

Agreed-Hope your wife makes a full recovery-my aunt just died-keep me informed.