Schilling Rudder

Biggles

Featured Posts

I'm sure there are a few people around who can tell you about them but I know Dan has recently (in the past couple of years or so) fitted one to Emily Anne after much research!

If he doesn't respond to this thread it may be worth a PM :lol:

Hello

Anyone know anything about the use of a schilling rudder?

Biggles

Good for ahead manoeuverability, not so good for going astern and can be a bit vague around the dead ahead position. Schilling is a proprietary name/design and expensive to procure. MacLear Thistle rudder is the same thing but the design details are freely available - see this excellent article by David Gerr - Thistle Rudders - which also has the vital details/dimensions to build one.

I decided not to have one and stuck to a fairly standard NACA foil shape rudder with a 70-0-70 hydraulic actuator. Manoeuvrability is excellent - can turn at rest without using BT in a meter or so over boat length. The only think I would add to my NACA rudder are endplates top and bottom to "trap and direct" the water thrust a little better. May do it at next docking.

Quite sure most of the other comments are valid, but what seems to come out of the frequent discussions on the matter here and other places are that they are rather prone to fowling and when they do, are difficult to clear..

I think that over many decades of experimentation a flat rudder has never really been bettered.

Quite sure most of the other comments are valid, but what seems to come out of the frequent discussions on the matter here and other places are that they are rather prone to fowling and when they do, are difficult to clear..

I think that over many decades of experimentation a flat rudder has never really been bettered.

You could say the outboard is the ultimate in steerage with the thrust following the degree of turn. This is not the case, at low revs on a boat with an outboard, the boat is virtually uncontrollable unless fitted with an added extra in the form of a rudder extension

A rudder extension being a flat rudder added after the propeller, turning with and at the same angle as the propeller. It's difficult to see any logical reason why this arrangement should make any difference but it does, especially at low revs

As Liam said I fitted a Shilling Rudder to Emilyanne last time we where in drydock with her three years ago.

I stuggled to find very much infomation on them other than photos of such items on becklers website (also kort nosels and becklar flap rudders) but knowing that a number of the launch owners within the steamboat assosiation had them fitted i did a little digging i a member managed to produce a scan of a artical that detailed certain aspects the profile. Compairing these with the photos they seamed to stack up well and a i look about to get one made.

I measured the current flat blade with the boat in the water and based those measurements drew up a cad model of my preposted rudder based in the infomation i had and confirmed it 'looked about right' on screen. A member of this forum folded up the steel plates required to my drawings (two side sections and two flared sections of 3mm plate and a top abd bottom plate of 10mm plate) and posted them to me. The rudder was then removed from the boat and the sections welded to the existing blade to create the profiled shape which was then painted and fitted back to the boat.

Does it work?
Well its hard to say as ofcause its neither a blind nor independent test, infact, we're shockingly biased!. However we all (me, mum, grandad, etc) are fairly confident that there has been improvement in handling, or at least, ultimate turning capability under power. Which is what we where after. A number of third party people who have steered the boat both before and after also seemed to agree, some of which who where unaware of the modifications.

So who knows, not massivly conclusive, but I would say we have a 20-30% improvement in turning under power, so if your boats a bit under ruddered, your a bit bored, and you coming out of drydock in a year of so anyway. I say give it a go. For less than the price of a set of anodes its highly unlikely to make it any worse.

Not sure about the comments about them fowling. Our certainly never has. No more to fowl than a plan rudder as far as i can see really?

I also wrote a short wiki artical from the information i had avaible which can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schilling_Rudder
I had however not come across the term 'MacLear Thistle rudder' or the David Gerr artical above which are both very interesting.

Daniel