Why the price difference?

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Out of interest i was having a peek at the BW mooring tender system and wondered why the huge price difference between these two moorings?

here

&

here

Have i missed something?

Out of interest i was having a peek at the BW mooring tender system and wondered why the huge price difference between these two moorings?

here

&

here

Have i missed something?

One has a very expensive parking space and the other has no vehicular access !!

One very very expensive parking space :lol:

Yes, but they are both residential therefore one is in effect "car free" as you can bet your bottom farthing there is no parking on street round there.

I do wonder how they enforce the "residential" rule. I know why they do it, so that moorings with residential planning permission don't get snapped up by rich leisure boaters, but do they count how often you spend the night there?

Having no car shouldnt be a problem with the location, if you work in Leeds city centre i suppose.

As an aside i just google imaged Clarence Dock, to have a look at where we may moor next easter, some "interesting" images got listed on about page 4, i wouldnt recommend looking at work though :lol:

Having no car shouldnt be a problem with the location, if you work in Leeds city centre i suppose.

As an aside i just google imaged Clarence Dock, to have a look at where we may moor next easter, some "interesting" images got listed on about page 4, i wouldnt recommend looking at work though :lol:

With bus services you could work anywhere in Leeds, and with trains a job near the railway station in a number of towns and cities would be practical. I couldn't manage though as I need a car to do my job (Worksop and back in one day by train from Bath just doesn't work!)

Was at West Stockwith yesterday as part of that job in Worksop, you've taken Cal in their haven't you? Dare I ask, would Cal fit under the first bridge? I know there are reasons why you won't try.

One very very expensive parking space :lol:

Parking in the nearest NCP is around £120 a month, you can't get it for much cheaper either in Leeds, so it's not bad a difference between those BW prices. There are those per hour hire cars available in Leeds. Leeds train station is around 10 min walk away as is the centre of Leeds.

there's limited visitor space in the dock itself esp. summer over bank holidays when it's near enough full. There is also floating poontons on the river next to the dick below Leeds lock, these tend to be empty even when the dock is full.

Was at West Stockwith yesterday as part of that job in Worksop, you've taken Cal in their haven't you? Dare I ask, would Cal fit under the first bridge? I know there are reasons why you won't try.

Yes we took Cal there and yes we sized up the bridge with the arch down and she fits under with inches to spare.

As you say though, there are other reasons she doesnt go further than the basin :lol:

Wow! Clarence Dock is one ugly lady!

My thoughts exactly.

there's limited visitor space in the dock itself esp. summer over bank holidays when it's near enough full. There is also floating poontons on the river next to the dick below Leeds lock, these tend to be empty even when the dock is full.

With a small boat limited space is fine. :lol:

During some of the summer bank holidays you wouldn't have as boats your size couldn't moor in the dock! Although still space outside.

Ah but at Easter only the hardy types are venturing out. I dont envisage a problem.

You trying to put us off? :lol:

It's a cool place Leeds, -1 at the moment! What you planning to do in Leeds, just shop?

Not thought of what we will do there yet. We just needed a warm up weeks cruise for the years plans ahead, make sure everything is working as it should after the winters semi-dormant state.

Leeds seemed a good choice going via the trent, trent falls, ouse, selby canal, aire and calder and clarence dock seemed a fitting destination. Then the return journey we would head for Keadby to rejoin the Trent and back to Lincoln

There are some great mooring outside the Armoury (a good day out) in Leeds, but I'm not sure if you would have enough head room to get through the bridge in.

Alex

How big do you think my head is :lol:

Seriously though we need 6'6" im sure it will fit :lol:

There are some great mooring outside the Armoury (a good day out) in Leeds, but I'm not sure if you would have enough head room to get through the bridge in.

Alex

Hi Phylis

Ive Just looked on Google earth and that is Clarence Dock - DUUUH!

I stayed in there a few times, for a couple of days and cannot remember ever being charged

Sorry about the reference to your head - but as you come 'from't posh end o' Hillsborough' I were wittled fer thi.

Alex

here

&

here

Have i missed something?

Being pedantic, (why not!), there is a huge difference in the guide price between the two moorings.

As neither appear to have yet been bid for, at the end of the day the actual difference will be whatever the highest bidder for each is prepared to pay.

Not all these high value moorings meet the reserve price, of course, and I'm aware that so,me at Engineer's Wharf, (residential I think), and Brentford Island (non residential), both in London area, keep coming around, with nobody prepared to bid even the reserve price.

What I don't really understand, in those cases, is why existing moorers there aren't putting in a speculative bid at "reserve". From maths I've done in the past, even by the time you have paid for an overlap whilst you hold both, you would still end up saving, (particularly as your charge for the new mooring would then remain constant for three years).

The logistics of this do depend though on the percentage difference between "reserve" and "guide", (the latter being what is paid by people who got their mooring under the old system). In the Clarence Dock example, and existing moorer could potentially save a whacking 25% of what they now pay, if they got another one there "at reserve".

Being pedantic, (why not!), there is a huge difference in the guide price between the two moorings.

As neither appear to have yet been bid for, at the end of the day the actual difference will be whatever the highest bidder for each is prepared to pay.

Not all these high value moorings meet the reserve price, of course, and I'm aware that so,me at Engineer's Wharf, (residential I think), and Brentford Island (non residential), both in London area, keep coming around, with nobody prepared to bid even the reserve price.

What I don't really understand, in those cases, is why existing moorers there aren't putting in a speculative bid at "reserve". From maths I've done in the past, even by the time you have paid for an overlap whilst you hold both, you would still end up saving, (particularly as your charge for the new mooring would then remain constant for three years).

The logistics of this do depend though on the percentage difference between "reserve" and "guide", (the latter being what is paid by people who got their mooring under the old system). In the Clarence Dock example, and existing moorer could potentially save a whacking 25% of what they now pay, if they got another one there "at reserve".

The difference in the two moorings (reserve or guide) is worth it if you have a car, as you'll be paying more in Leeds to park. However the moorings IMHO aren't worth the guide price - (the reserve price is so so). A Narrowboat on the leisure moorings is around £2.3K guide or ya can have it now price (you don't need to tender for a mooring here!), so is residential worth that much more, (the moorings are in the worse spot of Clarence Dock!).

Only two boats are currently in the residential area, and they haven't been there that long (one about a month, the other about 6), the moorings have been available for well over a year and there's room for 6.

Existing moorers, well for residential only two have recently come (I don't know if they tendered or not), on leisure moorings two have only been here long term and will be on cheaper than reserve. Apart from me (on leisure) (who should have recently tendered to get the reserve price but forgot, and the price difference isn't a great difference - on the third year I would have gained), the rest I believe are winter moorers.