Wide Beam Queation - How far can I get ?

Essex Land Lubbers

Featured Posts

Good morning.

I live on the Stort and know Roydon well, having spent much of my childhood boating there.

You can cruise the Lee and Stort, down into London and up the Grand Union and Thames.

Somewhere there is a document showing BW waterway dimensions which will give you a more concise answer.

I'm sure somebody will be able to give you a link.

Good morning.

I live on the Stort and know Roydon well, having spent much of my childhood boating there.

You can cruise the Lee and Stort, down into London and up the Grand Union and Thames.

Somewhere there is a document showing BW waterway dimensions which will give you a more concise answer.

I'm sure somebody will be able to give you a link.

Also, Kennet and Avon, River Wey and Basingstoke canal. Your cruising range amounts to around 1300 miles of out and back trips if you include the Severn estuary, River Severn and Warwickshire Avon.

Keith

Also, Kennet and Avon, River Wey and Basingstoke canal. Your cruising range amounts to around 1300 miles of out and back trips if you include the Severn estuary, River Severn and Warwickshire Avon.

Keith

Basingstoke canal?? that is if it ever opens again!

I am considering buying a Wide Beam boat, and mooring on the Stort at Royden (I have some friends of friends) with a spare mooring. Can any one tell me how far down/round the canal system I will be able to cruise ? The boat is 10 feet wide.

Well according to another thread you can go down the Thames and up to Hull then you've got all the Northern Rivers.

Just don't forget the road atlas and make sure your mobile is charged.

Well according to another thread you can go down the Thames and up to Hull then you've got all the Northern Rivers.

Just don't forget the road atlas and make sure your mobile is charged.

Or across The Wash

I am considering buying a Wide Beam boat, and mooring on the Stort at Royden (I have some friends of friends) with a spare mooring. Can any one tell me how far down/round the canal system I will be able to cruise ? The boat is 10 feet wide.

Hello Lubbers, if it is your intention to see the a significant part of the canal system you have little choice other than getting a narrowboat, if on the other hand you think you will be content with a permanent mooring and joining some sort of bank-side community then a wide-beam may well be for you.

Hello Lubbers, if it is your intention to see the a significant part of the canal system you have little choice other than getting a narrowboat, if on the other hand you think you will be content with a permanent mooring and joining some sort of bank-side community then a wide-beam may well be for you.

Economically, the significant parts of the canal system were the wide waterways of the north of England and, perhaps, the BCN, though the average length of trip on the BCN radically reduced its importance. On tonnage carried per mile of waterway and average length of trip, the River Weaver was the most significant waterway in Britain. The most important industry in economic terms was the cotton textile trade, so canals serving them were the most significant waterways in Britain.

Many thanks for all your replies

A quiet word in your shell-like Mr E L Lubber...

People will tell you that the optimum, best, preferable, only size for a boat is 6'10" wide by 57" long. "Oh, you can cruise the whole system then" they say. "It's a go-anywhere boat!" they add. "The entire system is there for your pleasure" they enthuse...

We have an unfashionable, impractical, inferior 70' narrowbeam boat, which sure enough we cannot take over the northern parts of the system. Woe is us...

However, as we are both at work, we never find enough time in a year to get beyond parts of the system that our boat still fits on. Try working out how long it will take you to get your broad-beam boat up onto the narrow parts of the system and you'll find that in all probability it will never-ever be a problem to you.

Richard

Plan to have a boat that suits your living needs, not where you may conceivably in a wild plan cruise to.

http://www.barging.co.uk/ukcruising.htm

Is a brilliant site for fat boat owners that has no agenda or anything to sell.

I have a NB and am building a fat boat. I can live with not going "up North" in return for sme nice space. Don't get me wrong I love my NB, but I am gonna love my fat boat more.

Biggles

http://www.barging.co.uk/ukcruising.htm

Is a brilliant site for fat boat owners that has no agenda or anything to sell.

I have a NB and am building a fat boat. I can live with not going "up North" in return for sme nice space. Don't get me wrong I love my NB, but I am gonna love my fat boat more.

Biggles