Not under lock and quay

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

Wasn't there a very positive precedent for this with the Upper Avon restoration? Seems a shame it's taken forty years to get round to trying it again.

In fairness WW this has been done, just not as high profile, and these days it's as often community service rather than inmates.

Working on the Montgomery eh?

Wonder why they didn't suggest the Shrewsbury and Newport canal - they have a really big hole at Wappenshall that needs digging out! :lol:

There have been a couple workong on the River Gipping, Ipswich to Stowmarket Navigation at the mid week work parties for some time now.

Bring it on! I firmly believe that we should have prisoners doing all manner of 'community work' automatically

as part of their sentence a la US chain gangs.

Don't start me off on the luxuries they have in the nick - they are supposed to be punished for their deeds.

Utter bollox.

Not at all.

What I am saying is that in the current financial climate, the introduction of unpaid labour could, rather than providing an additional labour force, result in a reduction in the paid staff.

I think this could be a good idea, but it should come with safeguards. Any organisation that wishes to avail itself of free prison labour would have to agree to maintain its paid workforce (both directly employed and subcontract) at the same levels as previously, and any reduction in the paid workforce would result in swingeing reductions in the unpaid workforce.

Sounds like the words of a staunch, dyed in the wool union man Dave, Merry Christmas.

Edited by tomsk

Utter bollox.

Wow I agree with you on this but I might have put what a load of right wing rubbish.

Sounds like the words of a staunch, dyed in the wool union man Dave, Merry Christmas.

Think maybe the words of a man that wants to ensure people don't lose there jobs and yes that is also the job of the Unions.