Alvechurch owners

FrigateCaptain

Featured Posts

Funny that this has come up today. I have been curious how to pronounce Alde, knowing it is a Swedish name, actually the forename of its inventor. I wondered whether it is Al -day, Al -di, Al-der, Al-du, or what? So I emailed Alde yesterday to ask and they quickly replied that it is pronounced Al-deh. I could still do with hearing somebody say it in Swedish!

Mine is a 2928, about 15 years old and I hardly ever use it, but when I do it behaves very well. It only feeds one radiator in the bedroom though, or if I turn the radiator off it will heat the water in the calorifier. It's a well adjusted, blue blooded, Swedish heterosexual.

Mine only turns on when i twist its knob, not at all intersted in the wife

I'll have a play with it tonight, see what happens.....

Also richard, We have squeezed a extra gas bottle in the bow locker so we carry 3 instead of two. Can you do that on the owl class (if that is what yours is)?

Yes. In fact we only got our BSC passed because the third cylinder stops the other two from falling over and tearing the gas tails out of the regulator.

Richard

Really? ours are chained. what defects if any did you have when you got her?

She had a BSC when we bought her, but we've had her long enough to have had to renew it ourselves. The only dodgy moment was with two of the rings on the gas cooker being a bit feeble. After some messing about with bits of wine and vinegar we got her through OK

Richard

She had a BSC when we bought her, but we've had her long enough to have had to renew it ourselves. The only dodgy moment was with two of the rings on the gas cooker being a bit feeble. After some messing about with bits of wine and vinegar we got her through OK

Richard

We've had waterpumps go, battery, alt belt so far, i think we've been quite lucky so far considering the bodgery commited on it!

Indeed, i think the problem is we arnt turning up the gas enough, we used 1 and a half bottle in 4 weeks, and no, we have no plans of nicking wood lol

Is there a dedicated forum to these beautiful examples of floating engineering?

You could try this link.

http://www.alde.co.uk/manuals.php

Best of luck.

Nooooooooo the bit for bleeding the system is missing

Yebbut, that's the easy bit. Top your header tank up with anti-freeze mixture (easier said than done), then open the bleed valve on each radiator in turn to make sure that it is water coming out, not air. I'd check the level in the header after each radiator.

Richard

Yebbut, that's the easy bit. Top your header tank up with anti-freeze mixture (easier said than done), then open the bleed valve on each radiator in turn to make sure that it is water coming out, not air. I'd check the level in the header after each radiator.

Richard

Ah see, i've tried that, i though there was a way to bleed the whole system?

Got three cylinders in the gas locker as well, I had thought to stick the third one on the car when the BSC comes round but on Richard's advice perhaps not

Was thinking the same too, still lurking in bath?

Off to dundas to swing round and then off to bath for fuel and gas tomorrow

Hey, just thought it'd be a good idea to have a Ex-ABC hire thread so we can help each other with any probs that might arise.

I'll start off........

Our alde heater is'nt heating all the radiators on the boat, the header tank is full, the pumps working fine and i've bled all the radiators but

Still we have only hot ratiators in the center bedroom, and the two bathrooms (the closest ones to the heater)

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

There is a Black Prince Owners Site Click Here

Sounds fine?.... not had it off to check but it just seems the waters getting cold before it gets round, only running the gas on mark 4 mind

I was thinking along the lines of the motor running as normal but with the impeller sheared off or simply loose which is not unheard of. :lol: Although Like I mentioned earlier there's probably a simpler explaination.

• 3 weeks later...

Have tried bleeding all radiators again last night, to no avail.

wife declared abandon ship last night, i however am hard and dont need heating so am staying tonight to resolve the problem.

On a seperate note, how long does it take to fit a stove?

Hilperton has said 2 days and bath 1 day and why the massive differance in price's for morso stoves? had 3 qoutes for one model and it ranged between £300 differance???

Beware, a stove may not solve all your problems! Ours keeps the lounge/saloon nice and hot, the kitchen warm and the bedroom hardly benefits! (Mind you, the stove is at the front of the boat and the bedroom at the rear).

I wouldn't totally rule out the Alde/radiators and think you need to do some more investigations. Could the non working radiators be heated by the engine and not the Alde?

Have you tried tracing the plumbing circuit? Can you loosen the connections on the non-working rads and see if water is coming out. There may not be what you may call conventional valves on them but are there the smaller "valves" usually found at the other end of a domestic radiator? If these (small) valves are closed then the radiator won't heat.