Anyone got any snow yet?

Scooby

Featured Posts

They will be the ones who weren't going so slow .... :lol:

No we drove over one of the roads in question last night and it had just turned to sheet ice, couple this with the fact you have parked cars down one side and just enough room for two cars travelling in opposite directions and a steep crossfall. Touch the brakes and the back end swings around into the parked cars or the car travelling the other way. The only way to keep in a straight line was to just keep going. :lol:

I'm thinking about giving up on Christmas blacking. It was always a bit of a gamble weather-wise.

I gave the drydock owners £100 deposit but still owe them another £134. I'm just wondering if I should call them and cancel? I've obviously lost the deposit but I wonder if they'll demand the rest of the money? I'm sure nobody else would have booked it over Christmas. If I can't black it now want to be able to use the drydock later in the year so I don't want p*ss them off

Anyone know where I stand on this?.

Here in south Lincolnshire we have 4-5"

Had just a dusting when I got up around 8.00. A little over an hour later we have 3 inches and still snowing hard.

I'm thinking about giving up on Christmas blacking. It was always a bit of a gamble weather-wise.

I gave the drydock owners £100 deposit but still owe them another £134. I'm just wondering if I should call them and cancel? I've obviously lost the deposit but I wonder if they'll demand the rest of the money? I'm sure nobody else would have booked it over Christmas. If I can't black it now want to be able to use the drydock later in the year so I don't want p*ss them off

Anyone know where I stand on this?.

It's a covered dock, what's the problem?

It's a covered dock, what's the problem?

It's covered by a polytunnel but open at both ends. I was told by another boat yard that bitumen wouldn't go off at temperatures less than 5 deg C.

Edit: the long range forecast shows this freezing weather will set in for a while.

Edited by blackrose

It's covered by a polytunnel but open at both ends. I was told by another boat yard that bitumen wouldn't go off at temperatures less than 5 deg C.

Edit: the long range forecast shows this freezing weather will set in for a while.

Hot air gun.... :lol:

Are you the man that closes schools and cancels buses etc on the strength of a weather forecast...

Get on with it, at least then you can say you tried.....

Four inches now and growing....

I've got to fit LPG changeover valves to two caravans in Windsor today. (outside of course!). At the moment I'm sitting indoors with Wogans last half hour.

Well we had a nice evening at the Pirate Club. They rent the camping boat out as cheap accomodation to groups who wish to visit London. There was a group staying on it last night and last night was the night the newly installed diesel heating chose to fail!

Won't be visiting mine.....she died last night :lol:

Sorry to hear it. :lol:

We had 2 or 3 short, sharp, horizontal blizzards yesterday afternoon. I was booked to babysit for a friend about 23 miles away last evening. Got over there ok, but it got heavier throughout the evening. We all agreed I should stay over, so it's as well I had sort of anticipated this, and pre-fed my cats, left CH and lights on. It took about an hour and a quarter to get home this morning, but safe in now!! About 3" at their place, nearer 2" here, bright and sunny right now.

The bus route appears to be slightly diverted, and no kids in sight, so maybe the local schools are ok. Reports that A1 Baldock(THE PLACE!) and Biggleswade are closed. (that is slightly :lol: and not very boaty, but may help someone I hope).

edit typos!

Edited by Sue1946

I suspect a conspiracy between the teachers and the guys who grit our roads, they all of course work for the local authority and I reckon there is some pact so that the roads don't get gritted and then the schools get closed (as is happening around her this morning) and the teachers get an extra day off.....result....

I'm sure it's meant in jest, but it does get a bit tedious when you are married to a teacher.

OH has previously posted elsewhere a long description of what a difficult call it can be for head teachers, particularly if at a school like hers where a large percentage of the kids are bus-ed in from miles away, and you then face the prospect of a school full of kids that can't be got home.

Yes, she does have a closed school, and day off today, but with maybe 6" of snow on the ground here last night, if you saw how little impact the gritter that went past had on that, you wouldn't find it hard to understand why a lot of people are choosing to go nowhere today.

Perhaps the extra "day off" is some recompense for the hours of extra effort she has put in in her own time to ensure that an assessment of ICT in her school that was carried out yesterday, to earn extra accreditation, passed off successfully. Anyone who can cope with a school full of kids, and still try and get a serious external assessment done one day from the end of Christmas term, (when in many cases the kids would be climbing the walls), has my extreme admiration. I know I'd not be up to it!

No snow in North Shropshire on the Llangollen canal, but it is very cold, even my logs are froze solid to the roof..

Ah! the hazards of having to store a used cassette outside in very cold weather!

I've got to fit LPG changeover valves to two caravans in Windsor today. (outside of course!). At the moment I'm sitting indoors with Wogans last half hour.

Of the two, the former sounds by far the less unpleasant experience to me! :lol:

No, I'm the man who's got no income and can't afford to waste more money just so I can say I tried.

Hi Mike,

Not sure if the windward end of the dock could be sheeted off some how ? A deisel space heater under there would get the day time temp up a fair bit if you could keep the wind out but I guess its a bit of a gamble and more expense. I'd like to think the Kevin's would be reasonable regarding the outstanding payment and would understand the situation, especially if your committed to come back at a later date.

Would be interesting to hear others views regarding the curing temperature before you decide. Whatever happens we must meet for a beer !

Les+Heidi

We have had a light dusting of snow here at Cropredy - the first fall was just before breakfast and we had a bit more just after lunch but nothing serious. I don't know if the locks are open at Claydon but we have had no more than a couple of boats past - including a BW work boat.

Edited by NB Alnwick

six inches of snow at Sharp's Lane overnight, not going anywhere.....and we just ran out of gas !

Its warm and snug aboard and we're brewing on the Morso so its a pretty happy boat right now

:lol:

I got away about 9am instead of the usual 7.30 took several attempts

The car park was about a foot deep

Sitting at my desk on London at present.

If you need gas, I have at least one full calor 13kg one.