Cheeky or good deal

kerching

Featured Posts

I have just come across This "deal" browsing about for a few days on a boat over Crimbo.

One minute i think its a good deal the next i think cheeky buggers.

If nobody takes up the "offer" they will have to pay someone to move the boat and pay for the fuel themselves.

There again somebody can have 2 weeks on a boat for £500-600 plus travel expenses.

Pick up times dont fit in for me but someone may be interested.

I have just come across This "deal" browsing about for a few days on a boat over Crimbo.

If nobody takes up the "offer" they will have to pay someone to move the boat and pay for the fuel themselves.

There again somebody can have 2 weeks on a boat for £500-600 plus travel expenses.

Well I reckon it's a bargain if you work out the cost per person and over the holiday period too. Wish I could do it ......

thats a cheek they want the boats moved so charging someone to do it for them. they wont even pay for your travel back to your car from the other end its good for the business but not for the poor customer ok they going to get a holiday but prob be cheaper to just have a normal boat holiday.

My first thought is - how enterprising, but then how much would it cost to hire 'normally' in this period? .

..and the cynic in me asks - will they have a 'reverse' offer at the start of the next 'season'? :lol:

Hmmm....any regular hirers here?

Hmmm....any regular hirers here?

When we have made enquires we have found hire charges normally dip substantially up to Christmas/New Year and than ramp sharply back up again for the actual Christmas/New Year weeks and then fall back again for early January.

As we also have found some yards effectively shut for business between around Oct through to March too.

The above sounds like very good value to me compared to what we've been quoted for that period.

Edited by MJG

Whilst I think some may think its a cheek, others will jump at the opportunity for a cheaper than usual break - perhaps the sweetener by the hirer would be to take them back to their car at the end though...

They do own the boat - they do need to get it moved - if they had to "pay" to get it moved that would only be added to to hire charges next year, so on balance I think it's a win/win situation and shouldn't be scoffed at...

Nick

SWMBO thought this mght be a good way to spend Xmas, so I had a check re: getting back to the start point.

Couldn't find a single car hire firm willing to leave a car on the 4th at the Market Harborough yard let alone collect it from Anderton, so gave it a miss.

Think the boat hirers might have missed a trick here, by not offering a lift back at a sensible price, say £100, especially as there would possibly be more than one boat load having the same need. :lol:

Nick got there first.

Edited by johnjo

Cheeky buggers it is. A friend of mine used to be paid to move boats from one location to another; three of them would move two boats. Payment would just about cover living costs with a bit of beer money thrown in. :lol:

Bit cheeky to ask people to now find their own way back to where they left their cars after charging them to move someone elses's boat for them! :lol:

One or two people are saying that to hire at the time of year that the boats need shifting it would be quite expensive, this is true. But it is the company who are determining the dates. If the dates were a couple of weeks either way it may not seem so appealing. Or a lot more mileage/time due to stoppages.

At the moment i am in cheeky bugger mode but this may change.

I cant see that there's anything wrong with that. It's no different to the transport industry, or even the old working boats, you would always try to get a "back load" and make the the journey pay rather than run empty.

If you not interested then fine but theres nothing wrong with their offer.

Steve

I cant see that there's anything wrong with that. It's no different to the transport industry, or even the old working boats, you would always try to get a "back load" and make the the journey pay rather than run empty.

If you not interested then fine but theres nothing wrong with their offer.

Steve

Yes, if it fits in with your requirements, bite their hands off. I wonder how they usually move boats though? I would have thought their own employees usually do it, so maybe this is somebody's enterprising idea. If I was doing it I would take a car down beforehand and leave it; or get the train back.

If I've read the offer correctly you could pick a boat up on 18th December and deliver it on 4th January. That's about 17 days! Que Sera Sera. But I think they might require you to move the boat in a certain number of days within that period.

We have hired a boat from Middlewich Narrowboats from the 22nd till the30th, for alot more than £450!!! But we have a really nice boat and we are going where we want to go....But this is a good deal for someone..Don't be so sceptical....If it was your boat would you pay someone to move it or if someone wanted to hire it from you (ie Pay you) would you let them hire it?? Yea thought so!

Edited by Deepinvet