Whos got what planned for next year

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

I believe you remember rightly for those days

Triumph now have a Rocket 3 built at their new factory in Hinckley

Its a beast - 3 cylinder, in line, 2.3 litre engine - a right monster and I'd really like to try one

Clicky

Makes my 1958 tribsa look a bit sad bless her! (5OO Triumph engine in a BSA A65 Thunderbolt frame, started life as a crosser in matisse form and i used it a number of times on beaches to great effect, but currently converting to a cafe racer)

Back to boating, got the bsc in jan refitting throughout spring (nb just bought end of summer and brought down from the L&L to shardlow via the trent)

So i guess my season wont start properly until end of april, but the planning to do the 4 counties and Llangollen, then hopefully make the saul festival.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Intend to do the Leicester Ring this summer. All new to us and never beem on a river.

Have heard that you just need to get through Leicester and not mor there.

Any tips on where to moor before and after so we can scoot through in a day.?

Why would you want to just go through Leicester?

Well we have managed to afford two trips again this year, first week in June, Autherly Junction to Stourport, a very pretty route, we did it last year and for a short break with Napton Narrowboats its ideal with good places to eat on the way there and back.

Second one is a full week at the start of September, we always go at this time as the schools are back, we have hired a Black Prince boat and aim to go from Stoke to Bugsworth Basin and back with a possible tootle down the Caldon (one we have not done before which in over 25 boating is very strange!!)

Anyone been to the pub in the basin recently we went about 5 years ago and the food was very good.

Julie

April- set off from audlem/crewe, heading south, down the oxford canal and onto the upper thames then K an A towards bath then bristol, then back towards london down the thames july/august, into london then up the GU and wherever after that.

I intend to leave Napton down the G.U.and go up the Thames from Limehouse with the St Pancras Club then back in at Oxford in May. I am doing it with another narrowboat owning mate,after one of those "what you up to next year" conversations. We are both quite excited about the idea. We are both doing a Marine Radio course this Sunday in preparation, not really necessary I know,but we are both aviators so like to tick another box. We have been impressed with the information available from the St P club and B.W.available online. Our good ladies have declined the opportunity so will be onshore camera crew.

We have just set off from the Bridgewater Canal (where we've been iced in for 8 weeks....) and are now heading up the Wigan Flight over the L & L to Leeds, then to York - we can't get beyond there I think as we are 59ft - then Stamford Bridge, Pocklington Canal, Doncaster, Sheffield, SYN, down Trent again to Chesterfield Canal, then on Trent again and off to Lincolne, Boston, Kyme Eau, Back again to Trent and along to Gainsborough and Nottingham. Grand Finale up the Erewash if we have time.... and then back along the T & M to the North West. That will take us all year we reckon, with all side routes covered wherever possible.

We've not done anything beyond Leeds really before, so looking forward to it! :cheers:

We are going anti clockwise around the Leicestershire Ring for Easter.

I do not fancy stopping in Leicester either, having worked there in the past for five years, I cannot see a decent spot so we will kick past in a day, probably stopping south of Wigston and then past/near Sileby, about an 8 hour push.

A few weekend trips to Branston and Beeston/Erewash, Alrewas.

Summer holiday will be four counties ring again, i love that trip.

I also want to get to the Chesterfield Canal, we will see when we can fit it in.

Hi,everyone,

We've just had the first of our trips for this year.We've just got back from two weeks on the Shroppie and the Staffs & Worcs out of Norbury.Didn't expect to get anywhere only a week or so before we took over the boat but we managed to get as far as the winding hole to the south of Greensforge Lock on the S & W before the ice stopped us.Right at the winding hole so we reversed a bit and turned.We had intended to go up the Stourbridge and into the BCN through the Netherton Tunnel.After the ice we decided to stick to the canals that we knew were ice free so gave up the plan to go to the BCN.Did the 21 a couple of years ago so Lisa wanted a change.We stayed on the S & W to Penkridge and then back to the Shroppie as far as Goldstone 'cos of the landslip in Woodseaves cutting.Had a great two weeks,some good pubs and some nice people.

We're out again at the beginning of May,for a week on the L & L out of Reedley Marina.Hoping to get to the Bingley Five,if we do we do,if we don't we will try again another time.Then at the end of July we are out of Norbury again,this time to do the whole of the Four Counties with the Caldon as a bonus.We have two weeks and we're on our own this year,our family are having their own holidays.

Then,we have November again,swapped last year for January this.Don't know yet where we will be.would like to do the L & L to Liverpool,but everything depends on the stoppages and of course the boat,it must have a stove.Central heating is ok but a stove is like iceing on a cake.

Fred.

We have just set off from the Bridgewater Canal (where we've been iced in for 8 weeks....) and are now heading up the Wigan Flight over the L & L to Leeds, then to York - we can't get beyond there I think as we are 59ft - then Stamford Bridge, Pocklington Canal, Doncaster, Sheffield, SYN, down Trent again to Chesterfield Canal, then on Trent again and off to Lincolne, Boston, Kyme Eau, Back again to Trent and along to Gainsborough and Nottingham. Grand Finale up the Erewash if we have time.... and then back along the T & M to the North West. That will take us all year we reckon, with all side routes covered wherever possible.

We've not done anything beyond Leeds really before, so looking forward to it! :cheers:

I wouldnt recommend stopping at Gainsborough other than for a short shopping stop or to wait for a tide. The local youth use the moorings there as their playground and have a habit of pestering the boat owners. Not always a problem of course but if they do set you free on the tidal stretch of river it could be dangerous.

We have stayed during the day to await a tide but we did chain and lock the boat to the pontoon before leaving it unattended.