Whos got what planned for next year

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Really? when?

I'm thinking I would have longer on unexplored waterways if I could get someone else to take her from pewsey to reading (or possibly back) if someone else uses her to holiday up that way first. I can only really get two weeks off at a time.

I guess I'm thinking june.

We are gunna move around calder and hebble sort of leeds skipton, then around huddersfield broad canal till about end of june, then early july we off for 2 years, heading south through nottingham towards london and back up not decided yet exactly but i think plenty of time to decide where to go, and hopefully after that if all goes well it maybe a permanant holiday...

As winter has taken hold, and the nights have drawn in, we have been making our plans for next years trips away on Cal. So far the list reads:

Easter Week: Warm up trip to Leeds going via Keadby, Trent Falls and Selby.

May: Bank holiday One - Hull

Bank Holiday Two - Wisbech or Wells

May/June: Circuit run. Burton Waters to Keadby to Hull/Grimsby to Boston to Burton Waters

July/August: Bridlington/Scarborough

September/October: River Nene

Still leaving just over a week to decide what to do with.

So has anybody else go anything planned to look forward to?

Just booked Cal in for an outdrive service in March so lifting her beginning of March to get the work done and whilst she is out she will get a fresh coat or two of antifoul, a good polish and a couple of minor repairs where the anchor came up the wrong way. So all being well she should be looking good as new for her Easter trip to Leeds. Hopefully being back in the water the weekend before Easter.

Edited by Phylis

After careful deliberation we have decided that we still don't know where we are going in the summer. Any recommendations for a two week trip, not rushing too much, and for relative novices. We're not too keen on crowds, quite like the quiet waterways. Oh, we're based at W. Stockwith.

Boston seems the most likely at the moment.

Lee

After careful deliberation we have decided that we still don't know where we are going in the summer. Any recommendations for a two week trip, not rushing too much, and for relative novices. We're not too keen on crowds, quite like the quiet waterways. Oh, we're based at W. Stockwith.

Boston seems the most likely at the moment.

Lee

Boston would be a very easy two week trip on a very quiet waterway. Plus the run from West Stockwith to Torksey is relatively easy. You could even (time permitting) extend the cruise further up the Trent to Newark or beyond.

Boston would be a very easy two week trip on a very quiet waterway. Plus the run from West Stockwith to Torksey is relatively easy. You could even (time permitting) extend the cruise further up the Trent to Newark or beyond.

Exactly our thoughts, Nottingham would not be beyond reach if time permit's, but if it doesn't, doesn't really matter.

What's the weed like down there in the height of summer (Bear in mind we normally cruise the Chesterfield!)

Lee

Exactly our thoughts, Nottingham would not be beyond reach if time permit's, but if it doesn't, doesn't really matter.

What's the weed like down there in the height of summer (Bear in mind we normally cruise the Chesterfield!)

Lee

It was awful around September last year but other than that once past Bardney there isnt much, the flowing water deals with it.

I believe you remember rightly for those days

Triumph now have a Rocket 3 built at their new factory in Hinckley

Its a beast - 3 cylinder, in line, 2.3 litre engine - a right monster and I'd really like to try one

Clicky

My baby is not a beast. She is a tad heavy maybe :lol: but extremely well mannered at low revs.

If you will insist on opening the throttle then she will respond by handing out loads of torques and just keeps going :lol:

paulc.jpg

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

You know what they say about making plans, well ours have changed already.

As you probably know by now Cal is coming out of the water at the end of this month, and the original plan was to have her ready and back in the water for a warm up run to Leeds at Easter, giving us abouth 6 weeks to get her finished and back in the water. Well in the matter of a month or so since that plan was made, it has already changed :lol:

The plan is to now have Cal back in the water in 3 weeks, have a weekend testing that everything is working and in order and then heading for Hull with the intention of spending a few days on the Humber at the end of March. Nothing likesetting tight deadlines :lol:

My baby is not a beast. She is a tad heavy maybe :lol: but extremely well mannered at low revs.

If you will insist on opening the throttle then she will respond by handing out loads of torques and just keeps going :lol:

paulc.jpg

Paul

Why have you got a pile of bricks on yer back seat?

6) Head for Florida visiting places like New Orleans on the way Let me know when in Florida might be able to put you up.

7) Do some sea fishing in Florida

Planning to ride (bicycle) no no no Lycra across USA - did it last year what a blast. Come back in August and go meandering on the canals. By this time the nb should be painted and looking nice. Might not stay like that too long as just learning about how to do this boating thing.

Oh I do like this retirement melarky.

Edited by rubblequeen

How very dare you talk about my Ex wife like that?

;)

Paul

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sooo envious of the bike !! I plan to have one and tour the USA on one ( and Europe) in the next few years - I have (my third) an FJR at the moment, but feel I want something a bit bigger / torquier and more relaxed as I munch miles and crush continents, and the Rocket 111 seems the next logical progression... although the FJR does a great job !

Crikey - Just realised we are only about 5 miles apart - Sandhurst !! Ride sometime ( in summer, when legs mended - Pint in meantime ?) ;)

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

• 4 weeks later...
You know what they say about making plans, well ours have changed already.

As you probably know by now Cal is coming out of the water at the end of this month, and the original plan was to have her ready and back in the water for a warm up run to Leeds at Easter, giving us abouth 6 weeks to get her finished and back in the water. Well in the matter of a month or so since that plan was made, it has already changed :lol:

The plan is to now have Cal back in the water in 3 weeks, have a weekend testing that everything is working and in order and then heading for Hull with the intention of spending a few days on the Humber at the end of March. Nothing likesetting tight deadlines :lol:

Seems like the deadline wasnt so tight. Cal is finished and back in the water in just two weekends. Gives us an extra weekend to check everything is in good working order and fine fettle before heading off to the Humber.

Just got to wire in our friends new chart plotter and VHF radio, fix them to the dashbord and then we are ready to go.

I hope you have a hull of a time!

:lol:

Seems like the deadline wasnt so tight. Cal is finished and back in the water in just two weekends. Gives us an extra weekend to check everything is in good working order and fine fettle before heading off to the Humber.

Just got to wire in our friends new chart plotter and VHF radio, fix them to the dashbord and then we are ready to go.

We hope to go in May/June (subject to time of church fete) and September/October.

First we are due a new engine and other bits of stuff. After that it depends on floods, the weather and, of course what bits are open - remember the Shroppie last year!

One year we went down the end of our bit of canal then tossed a coin at the next 5 junctions. That was quite fun but we had to reverse course after 5 tosses and actually go somewhere. We have plans and moorings for virtually every canal so if one door closes another opens and it's nice to visit a favourite place a months trip away or even go slow and virually no-where - like the Shroppie last year which was so pleasant and quiet without all the normal boats.

Then there is the interest of 'what has BW fixed or (more normal) wasted money on this year' All this is to come - we are in year 36 of British canals boating and counting.

:lol:

Leave Skipton 14th April

Ribble Link 26th April then a month on the Lancaster back down to Tarleton 27th May

Probably head down to the Weaver for a week or so then back up onto T&M and head for Fradley to meet up with friends to do the Leicester Ring

After that maybe stratford but not definite! After that Who Knows!!

• 3 weeks later...

Leave here on Wednesday - should have been Friday but the river was high. Standedge tunnel, Peak Forest, then Macclesfield on my way to Misty's bar., Perhaps find my way to Lapworth and Crick, with a dash back northward mor Middlewich festival. Then south again, intent on reaching the Thames. Hope to see many forum members on route.

• 8 months later...

As winter has taken hold, and the nights have drawn in, we have been making our plans for next years trips away on Cal. So far the list reads:

Easter Week: Warm up trip to Leeds going via Keadby, Trent Falls and Selby.

May: Bank holiday One - Hull

Bank Holiday Two - Wisbech or Wells

May/June: Circuit run. Burton Waters to Keadby to Hull/Grimsby to Boston to Burton Waters

July/August: Bridlington/Scarborough

September/October: River Nene

Still leaving just over a week to decide what to do with.

So has anybody else go anything planned to look forward to?

Looking back on what we had planned for this year, its suprising how plans evolve. We did reach some of our intended locations but others will just have to wait.

We made it to Hull in March

DSC00159-1.jpg

Before heading to Wells next the Sea in June

DSC00256.jpg

Then it was York during August

5.jpg

quickly followed by another salty excursion

wash1.jpg

then numerous more local trips on the Trent and the ditch

7.jpg

DSC00453-1.jpg

Not a bad years boating.

Well my plans for 2010 did not materialise

I began a degree course and bought a boat instead

So for 2011 I understand I have a break from university from June to October so I'm beginning to think about a major trip - possibly....

Trent, Ouse, Leeds and Liverpool, Lancaster, Bridgewater, Manchester Ship Canal and then home via the Rochdale and Calder and Hebble

Waddya reckon? Do-able in 4 months?