Cover for back of Semi-Trad

WJM

Featured Posts

I need to get a new cover made for the rear of my semi-trad. (a freak gust of wind!). I am having trouble getting hold of Wilsons of Kinver. Are they the only show in town or are there any other suppliers out there?

A good supplier of canopies and suchlike is AJ Canopies of Braunston, see: http://www.ajcanopies.com/

I've had very good service from them in the past.

Roger

AJ Canopies of Braunston? Best time to catch,between 10.00 and 14.00 daily.

They are doing my new Cratch cover. They all seem to be about the same in cost, some you can't get hold of when you want.

Martyn

edit..... I have been beaten to it. Doh!

Edited by Nightwatch1

I need to get a new cover made for the rear of my semi-trad. (a freak gust of wind!). I am having trouble getting hold of Wilsons of Kinver. Are they the only show in town or are there any other suppliers out there?

J & H Trimmings (Ashwood) are just down the cut from Wilson's

We had planned to use Wilsons but owing to a problem with the material we wanted and the time scale we went with A J Canopies at Braunston.

Their new offices/workshop are now in the marina, very near the canal entrance, opposite the fuel/pumpout facilities.

Just to add glad we did, in my opinion A J are superior.

We had planned to use Wilsons but owing to a problem with the material we wanted and the time scale we went with A J Canopies at Braunston.

Their new offices/workshop are now in the marina, very near the canal entrance, opposite the fuel/pumpout facilities.

Just to add glad we did, in my opinion A J are superior.

Yes, from my experience and observations I think you are right. Wilsons have improved now but, in the early days, their cratch covers were decidedly baggy compared to AJC's taut, good looking, items. Things have evened out a bit now but I still agree with your comments. I've had two cratch covers, three pigeon box covers and two minor cratch cover repairs done by AJC over the years and on two boats and I've never been disappointed.

Roger

If you getteing a new cover, have you got a centre support, to stop ponding?

Earnest's cover maker (the very good Terry Clapham, exNB Ely, now given up) made a flexi bit of ally strip that bolts (under tension forming a shallow hoop) inside of the centre of the semi-trad cockpit.

This has been brillant (now for a decade), stopping ponding and keeping the cover taught, so it cannot blow about.

Hoop.jpg

R_cover.jpg

Talking of covers, Terry used to use lorry side screen re-inforced pvc, with heat welded seams, I had trouble getting a new cratch maker to use similar stuff for Earnest, and then could not find anyone that would do the sealed seams.

I ended up with one of the well advertised companies that I could not really recommed (NOT Wilsons) as the stictching is coming adrift already (3 years)

I am struggling a bit with this replacement. I cant get any response from Wilsons and AJ say they "do not cover my area". My guess is that the difficult part for them is the measuring up, as my boat is in London so it is a long way for them to come to measure up.

My next question - is it madness to have one made up from detailed drawings supplied by me. Mine is popper stud type exactly like Neil's pictured above so I guess the stud positions need to be very accurate.

Extending that question further, if aligning the popper studs is the big difficulty, how difficult would it be to fit the popper studs myself? ie: if I had the cover made up without them. I guess there is some sort of tool that fits the studs.

I am struggling a bit with this replacement. I cant get any response from Wilsons and AJ say they "do not cover my area". My guess is that the difficult part for them is the measuring up, as my boat is in London so it is a long way for them to come to measure up.

My next question - is it madness to have one made up from detailed drawings supplied by me. Mine is popper stud type exactly like Neil's pictured above so I guess the stud positions need to be very accurate.

Extending that question further, if aligning the popper studs is the big difficulty, how difficult would it be to fit the popper studs myself? ie: if I had the cover made up without them. I guess there is some sort of tool that fits the studs.

Did you think to ask AJC if they could make an identical cover if you sent the old one up to them? That might sort the correct pop stud location problem perhaps.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Ok, I have spoken to AJ and Wilsons. Neither will make a cover for a boat based in London - too much travelling.

Does anyone know of anyone in (or serving) the London area who can make a cover?

Yes. There is a company based at Walton Marine who do a great job. Can't remember their name but if you give Walton a call they will be able to tell you. I had exactly the same problem with being based near London and these guys came to the rescue

I can confirm that they do not float. And apologies in advance to anyone who suffers a weed hatch foray in Brentford Gauging Locks anytime soon. Though on my current run of luck it will end up wrapped around my own prop!

I seem to remember at least one of your own recent posts where you said something like "You make your own luck!"

Not what you meant, possibly ?

Try Tim Garland From Milton Keynes, He will travel anywhere within 1.5 hours area. He goes down to Paddington cruising club to do covers. He made our cratch cover and did a good job! His no is 07790642205 if he does not answer leave a message and he will call you back.

Paul

• 1 month later...

B E H C Marine Trimming

Rosewells Boathouse, Walton Bridge, Walton On Thames, KT12 1QW

Tel: 01932 269969

Just to follow up - These guys delivered my new cover yesterday. A nice job, delivered and fitted. Nice work. Highly recommended.