Waved to the near side??

Featured Posts

How so?

How would you apply the extra tax to these revellers?

Tick box on the council tax forms "Do you enjoy yourself on Friday evening - Never, occasionally, sometimes or often"

or maybe ticket barriers around the city centre

or add xx amount to everybodies tax bill.

Would you expect anything less?

I wouldn't actually do it, mind, but it puts 'disturbing a swim' into perspective.

it wasnt a case of "disturbing a swim" it was a case of deliberately pissing off an angler if that angler was me who could quite easily have spent weeks preparing the swim to have a boater destroy it i would definitely wait till he pased and blast him with maggotts just to piss him off, whats more is i would feel justified, as for calling the police " it wasnt me officer im using bread " after i had just rebaited my swim with remaining maggotts .

But to be honest i think the best option would be just to pass the angler and if he decides to ignore you or shake his head "so what" it harley the end of the world .

if you decide to pissoff this one angler intentionally its not you he hates its me and everyone else who owns and uses a boat and to be honest i dont really need anyone to dislike me for some other idiots idea of fun.

• 3 months later...

It seems to be down to whether or not the fish are biting! If they are we need to get as far away from the fishermen as possible & if they are not they want us to stir the water up for them. The polite chaps let you know.

Sue

It seems to be down to whether or not the fish are biting! If they are we need to get as far away from the fishermen as possible & if they are not they want us to stir the water up for them. The polite chaps let you know.

Sue

Hmmm.

"Need" is putting it rather strongly.

Whilst, depending on what the fish are doing, it may well be that my taking a particular course or speed would be most beneficial to the angler, that doesn't make it something that I "need" to do.

I may have other priorities that are more important to me than the angler catching more fish.

It does strike me that in discussing the way things should be when boaters meet anglers, the boater is expected to do various things to accomodate the angler, but there is little that the angler is expected to do in return.

Hmmm.

Whilst, depending on what the fish are doing, it may well be that my taking a particular course or speed would be most beneficial to the angler, that doesn't make it something that I "need" to do.

I may have other priorities that are more important to me than the angler catching more fish.

It does strike me that in discussing the way things should be when boaters meet anglers, the boater is expected to do various things to accomodate the angler, but there is little that the angler is expected to do in return.

With this is mind - if he withdraws his pole I go down the middle, if he hangs the maggot up to drip on us then I head for his keepnet - assuming close to him is the safest place for me if he wants to dangle the maggot.

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmm.

Completely agree with you here, i too will not try to piss anyone off, but if they are rude and arrogant after i have moved over to the side which i think he wants me to be on then i will certainly not "help" again, in fact if some arsehole decided he was going to fling maggots on my boat i would stick the boat in reverse and trash all of his gear with the prop, is this too harsh? NO!!!, he has possibly messed up my bed with the little blighters and possibly made them land in my drink or even worse my dog could eat some of them, string tha bastards up i say

sorry for the language but a bit of give and take here would go a long way!!!

rant over till next weekend, please angler try and piss me off!!!

Completely agree with you here, i too will not try to piss anyone off, but if they are rude and arrogant after i have moved over to the side which i think he wants me to be on then i will certainly not "help" again, in fact if some arsehole decided he was going to fling maggots on my boat i would stick the boat in reverse and trash all of his gear with the prop, is this too harsh? NO!!!, he has possibly messed up my bed with the little blighters and possibly made them land in my drink or even worse my dog could eat some of them, string tha bastards up i say

sorry for the language but a bit of give and take here would go a long way!!!

rant over till next weekend, please angler try and piss me off!!!

gosh hope you don,t come past me on the cut as a angler walker and cylist i do not fish the canals anymore not beccause of the boats 99% of boaters are brill the cruise past perfectly then when 10 feet past rev up the engines which swirls all the water up if they went 40 feet further before reving up proberly 15 seconds longer ?perfect but i never had a cross word with any whats the use we both will proberbly never meet again like wise why do moterists blast their horn if your slow away from the lights oh and by the way 1.5 million anglers bought fishing licences last year our waterways are a great place they bring in tourists from all over the world lets all pull together to keep ourn great waterways in use and stop knocking one another mike.

I would not mind being nice and accommodating to fishermen if only 99% of them were not so rude...

never return a wave..smile ..nod or hallo..

why are they SO grumpy???

We always try to go down the centre slowly if we can which is usually the best.

But we always try to talk to them, just a "hello, caught anything yet" often seems to make them more human.

If asked we do what they want if we can easily. Richard has been know to stop if they catch a fish just as we come by, but that's not always easy.

I used to worry about running in to the long ploes, as it's really hard to judge how far away they are from the back of the boat, but when I mentioned it to one of the fishermen who do it he just said, I'l be our fault if it happens, don't worry. I still do a bit though, don't want any unpleasentness.

We were up in the North of Birmingham last year, where they are guininely surprised to see boats, and they were all quite talkative and pleasent. In fact one group of teenages were havin no luck so shouted over "hey mister, can you stir it up a bit", so we happily abliged.

A couple of years ago we were coming out of Birmingham on the Grand Union and went past a fishing match as we left the city. There seemed to be hundreds of them, and it was really noticable that a large number of them were catching fish just in front of the boat. I suspect something to do with the fish moving ahead of the boat.

The best fisherman we ever saw making use of the boat was a kingfisher, he was moving along just in front of us and dived in to catch a fish just off the front. Magic.

Sue

But we always try to talk to them, just a "hello, caught anything yet" often seems to make them more human.

If asked we do what they want if we can easily. Richard has been know to stop if they catch a fish just as we come by, but that's not always easy.

I used to worry about running in to the long ploes, as it's really hard to judge how far away they are from the back of the boat, but when I mentioned it to one of the fishermen who do it he just said, I'l be our fault if it happens, don't worry. I still do a bit though, don't want any unpleasentness.

We were up in the North of Birmingham last year, where they are guininely surprised to see boats, and they were all quite talkative and pleasent. In fact one group of teenages were havin no luck so shouted over "hey mister, can you stir it up a bit", so we happily abliged.

A couple of years ago we were coming out of Birmingham on the Grand Union and went past a fishing match as we left the city. There seemed to be hundreds of them, and it was really noticable that a large number of them were catching fish just in front of the boat. I suspect something to do with the fish moving ahead of the boat.

The best fisherman we ever saw making use of the boat was a kingfisher, he was moving along just in front of us and dived in to catch a fish just off the front. Magic.

Sue

some of these poles fishermen use are upto £3000.oo pounds they wont be letting u hit them if they do it,s our fault somtimes esppecially in the summer when the reeds are all about and tall it,s not possible to hear boats approaching so if boaters see a pole a quick blast of the horn will let us know .but any angler who retorts to pelting a boat with maggots ect is a disgrace .i would pull up down the canal and phone bw or the police he,s bound to have a car near by to have his details taken so sad that we all can,t enjoy our waterways

Sue

We went past a fishing match the other week on our way to Foxton, there were about 30-35 fishermen, but they were in groups of 7/8 and had a quarter to half a mile between each group. This meant that there was not excessive lengths of fishermen due to the spacing, The last man of each group thanked me for slowing down, they were all friendly and exchanged words as we passed.

I would also like to say that I normally spot a fisherman long before I see his pole, if the light is wrong it can be almost invisible.

The "groups of anglers" are known as "Sections" in a match. Usually somebody on an end peg tends to do alot better.

For example 6 sections of 8 = 48 anglers in total.

Each angler is in a section, they are competing against the other anglers in their section to win their section money prize and usually the 3 heaviest catches from the match get 1st, 2nd and 3rd cash prizes....but an angler who is in the ranks of 1st, 2nd or 3rd cannot win their section so the section money then goes to the person who was second....but say if 1st and 2nd in the section was in the overall 1st and 2nd position the section money then goes to the person in 3rd place and so on.

But in team events each team may have 6 anglers in, again the same cash prise rules above apply but depending on their section ranking leads to points which are all added up which forms a fishing league. Sometimes the points can be different....1st place gets you 1 point through, 2nd = 2 points, 3rd=3points etc.....or sometimes the other way around so 1st gets you 10 points, 2nd=9points, 3rd=8points untill you get to 1....and everybody else who weights in gets 1 point, anybody who doesnt catch gets 0 points.

I'm still learning the ropes with all this as you can imagine it's quite complicated!

GE

I was intending to give the Wendover Arm a visit yesterday, but as I hit the Tring summit I hit a Roach fishing competition which stretched from Cowroast to Bulbourne, (save 400 yds in the middle). This competition was to show which bloke had the most gear , the most expensive gear, and who could touch the other side with their rods.....sshhh, no sniggering please.

We had gone over halfway along and passing over 40 anglers) before being waved in nearer the anglers as apparently they were fishing the offside.

Wendover was cut short, a quick impressive 7 pointturn in the entrance to the arm and then down to Marsworth for an ice cream.

Going back, we stayed close to the towpath side all the way, and the anglers were far more animated, some actually looked up, a couple registered our existence, and one or two said hi!!

Wendover Arm now on the to do list again.

Its a bit like bikes and cars, cars pay loads of tax to be on the roads and bikes pay bugger all. Boats pay loads to be on the canal and fishermen pay little or nothing .... therefore they have no right to dictate where you position yourself :lol:

Such as where? bearing in mind they would have been launched from the bank so would hit the outside of the boat

I found a big pink maggot on my front well deck last week how it got under the cover I really don't know. It was huge and fat and I am sure about to turn into a horrid fly any day!!

The area opposite out little BW marina is a designated fishing spot. It is on a bend and can be rather breezy, also, we all seem to prefere to moor with our sterns inwards. This can make for some quite interesting manoevers trying it get in backwards. I have not yet had to do this with fishermen there but what would I do? It would really churn the water up and can take a little while to complete often touching the bank. I took two attemps on Sunday. I can imagine them getting quite hacked off.

PS This has nothing to do with the afore metioned maggot.

Edited by Water Rat.

I found a big pink maggot on my front well deck last week how it got under the cover I really don't know. It was huge and fat and I am sure about to turn into a horrid fly any day!!

The area opposite out little BW marina is a designated fishing spot. It is on a bend and can be rather breezy, also, we all seem to prefere to moor with our sterns inwards. This can make for some quite interesting manoevers trying it get in backwards. I have not yet had to do this with fishermen there but what would I do? It would really churn the water up and can take a little while to complete often touching the bank. I took two attemps on Sunday. I can imagine them getting quite hacked off.

PS This has nothing to do with the afore metioned maggot.

Tough sh*t. Its your mooring, you can take as long as you like getting into it.

The maggot though im afraid is tough sh*t the other way. You moor next to a fishing area, there will be a few strays every now and again.

Give and take, they give you time to moor, you take their stray maggots :lol:

Aw,

You should have said, before I put the float, hook, and short length of "string" that I found on our boat into the rubbish.

We would only have needed a "stick" to tie it too, and we could have seen what we could lure with your maggot!

I get the impression that with some of us newer arrivals at the site, the fishermen are going to have to get rather more used to boats coming and going, and attempting to get to 90 degrees to get on or off the pontoons. I think probably traditionally people have tended to "live" there, more than "boat from" there, and boats like yours or ours going out on a regular basis are a bit of a novelty.

Personally I just do what I need to do - so far none of the angler-people have been stroppy. I think the bigger issue is that it is not "no mooring" on the other side either, and I'd have serious difficulties if the canal width got reduced by even a seven foot boat. So far none has been directly opposite us, so we have got away with it.

Its a bit like bikes and cars, cars pay loads of tax to be on the roads and bikes pay bugger all. Boats pay loads to be on the canal and fishermen pay little or nothing .... therefore they have no right to dictate where you position yourself :lol:

a fishing licence costs a mere 27 pounds lets say a fisherman goes fishing twice a week,he takes up 3 ft of the bank thats 6ft per week multiply by 52 weeks ( weather permiting ) now a 57 foot boat pays 800 pound to to cruise moors 365 days a year taking up 60ft of bank whatever the weather i would think boats albiet that they pay more,they get far better value for canal usage i wish every one would try and get on on the waterways PS. 1.5 million anglers bought licences last year a tidy sum into the coffers mike

This is a popular misunderstanding. No such thing as 'road tax' - car drivers pay vehicle excise tax - a tax on the ownership of the car not a payment to use the road. Roads are paid for by council tax, as they are a public highway for the use of people. People who may be in cars or on bikes, or horses, or pushing a handcart. It is a fine distinction but as a cyclist who pays a lot of council tax I am tired of poorly informed drivers banging on about my not paying tax.

Oh, and most cyclists have cars too anyway, taxed but not being used - so they are if anything subsidising card drivers to wear the roads out.

Appreciate this is nothing to with anglers. I am also a boater who fishes.

I would not mind being nice and accommodating to fishermen if only 99% of them were not so rude...

never return a wave..smile ..nod or hallo..

why are they SO grumpy???

Not generally our experience as most fisherpersons that we pass are polite - even if grudgingly!

But....and there's always a 'but' isn't there! A few weeks ago we were going through Nottingham and saw a fisherman. He didn't seem to be doing anything but we stayed in the middle and slowed right down as we normally do. My Wife wished him 'good morning' and got the following reply.

"I dunno why you f****ing slowed down, the last two f****ing bastards smashed up my f****ing gear and so I can't f****ing fish any more!" I can well understand him being upset about his predicament but fail to see why my poor Wife had to endure such a rant. I had to explain to her that the man was using technical fishing terms!