Working Lunch

John Orentas

Featured Posts

I Have just watched the programme, it wasn't the anticipated mini-series but a short item about a chap who has a café on the Oxford canal and a nice working boat moored outside. He has started re-cycling his old deep fryer oil to use in his boat.

Tony Renshaw was on the prog' he has just restored the original 30's engine for the boat which turned up by chance locally. There was also a chap who re-cycles the stuff commercially. He explained that the process is a simple one involving filtering the solids down to one micron also removing the water and acids. He did say it may be as well to mix it with diesel or starting up on diesel and changing over when the engine is warm also the stuff can go very 'treacly' in winter.

Edited by John Orentas

John, have just spoken to my Dad tonight who got back with the BBC crew yesterday afternoon. The canal segments on the show are due to go out some time in December. Apparently they have absolute mounds of film to get through and edit. My Dad said that if it moved they filmed it plus he had to be wearing a radio mike the whole time ! Luckily he worked out how to switch it off :D

They interviewed lots of people, inlcuding Margaret at Wardle Lock in Middlewich, boat builders, folk singers, a couple of people running businesses from working boats etc.

Apparently the presenter got so into the whole thing that he got really stuck in with operating the boat.

When I find out a firm date I'll let you know.

They interviewed lots of people, inlcuding Margaret at Wardle Lock in Middlewich, boat builders, folk singers, a couple of people running businesses from working boats etc.

Good job MAUREEN at Wardle lock doesn't read this or you'd get your wrists slapped.

:D

Edited by Bernie

• 4 weeks later...

Just had an email from my Dad as follows:

BBC have told me that the programme will be broadcast w/c 9th January 2006 over one or two weeks (to be decided)

Working Lunch is on BBC 2 every week day between 12.30 and 1.00 except Wednesday when it goes out at 1.30