Well the news has just got worse

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

My brother was asked if he would take part in a trial where he would take 3 months treatment of chemo instead of six months which is usual and he agreed to it , he now wishes he had not as his cancer came back and he and the rest of us now worry that the decision was the wrong one , please think hard on any treatment options.

good luck and best wishes in your treatment.

Hi David

Your strength in posting your news is to be commended (not sure I could be that strong?) and as has been said - the medical world is amazing and one never knows..

Wishing you all the best and we would join other forum members in offering the offer of a cruise (but hey - keep on thinking positive)

Good luck

Tim & Jenny

Guest TowpathTownie
most probable cause of my problem is smoking a long time ago and subsequent passive smoking.

If your bladder cancer is the primary one with lung mets I doubt the above to be the case. It's unfair of you to blame yourself and you should concentrate on 'positive mental attitude' to help your recovery. The human body is brilliant at self-healing with the right mind.

Good luck with your treatment; there are some amazing life saving regimes out there at the moment :lol:

Having lost my wife to cancer just over 4 years ago (she was only 35) my heart goes out to you having received this news.

Keep strong and fight as much as possible, even if you don't feel like it. If you need anything please feel free to talk any time day or night.

Best wishes Tim And Sam.

What a bastard. If your absence form the boating scene is going to be down to depleted energy or other effects of illness, I'm sure that there are many, ourselves included, who would welcome your company and knowledge on a trip without expecting any physical input.

Ditto that.

What an utter arse for you indeed. But like said, if your welcome along for a trip on ea, or pottenetally on the flipside, if your after a willing crew member for a week, that may also be possable.

As said, hit it with what you have. Boating keeps you young as they alway says. Compair my 80yo grandad to his two year old brother and you cna see this is the case. Tom for his two years is most of decade behind his brother on energy and activitys.

Daniel

Not the news you want at all, but well done for facing it and sharing it. I hope you are happily reconstructed and back on the road to full recovery by next boating season. In the meantime there's virtual boating on here when you need distraction from the nasty stuff you'll have to pass through. All the best - there are plenty of people on here sending positive thoughts, even if - as requested - no sympathy.

It's very difficult to say anything on a thread like this that even approaches the controversial, but I really feel I must, having read so many posts exhorting, even ordering, David to 'think positively' and 'fight' and suggesting that this will help in a successful recovery.

The trouble is that that may well be the last thing he feels like at the moment, and it can only add to someone's burden if they are made to feel that they 'should' be doing something that they really don't feel capable of.

I can't provide references, but I know I have read about research on this suggesting that stressing the importance of positive thinking is counterproductive; it makes people feel that they've 'failed' if they haven't been sufficiently 'positive', so please, think twice before burdening someone with that extra responsibility.

It's very difficult to say anything on a thread like this that even approaches the controversial, but I really feel I must, having read so many posts exhorting, even ordering, David to 'think positively' and 'fight' and suggesting that this will help in a successful recovery.

The trouble is that that may well be the last thing he feels like at the moment, and it can only add to someone's burden if they are made to feel that they 'should' be doing something that they really don't feel capable of.

I can't provide references, but I know I have read about research on this suggesting that stressing the importance of positive thinking is counterproductive; it makes people feel that they've 'failed' if they haven't been sufficiently 'positive', so please, think twice before burdening someone with that extra responsibility.

agreed 100%

David needs the room to explore the depths as well as try to be positive

And it's in the depths when support is most needed

I mainly agree but it is also true a positive outlook does help, wallowing in the depths of despair won't. Of course none of us ill or not can be positive all the time and there will always be black moments it's not a failure but human nature. Those around at the time can only be patient and try and support and help them through it when needed.

David asked for no sympathy so folk are just saying what they think. One other thing I have learned from being ill and being with ill people is that tip toeing around them and treating them like they were glass doesn't much help. Most want as normal existence as possible, particularly important when undergoing treatment that makes one feel anything like normal.

Edited by churchward

Don'y know you personally David and have never met you but wishing you 'Good luck all the best'

Over the years have cared for, supported and helped people with your condition and truly know how hard it can be - I won't attempt to offer any advice or support as not knowing you I don't know what is the best thing at all to say to help.

There will however be people who are closer to you (professionally and personally who can better do this)

Guest TowpathTownie
so please, think twice before burdening someone with that extra responsibility.

We're not psychologists and our messages were conveyed with heartfelt good intentions.

We're not psychologists and our messages were conveyed with heartfelt good intentions.

I don't think that it's unreasonable to say that none of us, no matter how good our intentions, should presume to tell someone how they should react to such circumstances.

Guest TowpathTownie
I don't think that it's unreasonable to say that none of us, no matter how good our intentions, should presume to tell someone how they should react to such circumstances.

So you're saying our supportive messages are now unreasonable and presumptuous? What you've done now is turn our messages of support into something quite meaningless not to mention ruining this thread.... and for what purpose? It's not about you or what you find reasonable. Who are you to presume that you know what sort of messages someone else needs in these circumstances.

There is not anything I can add to the wealth of support already posted here that can possibly make any difference.

I just wanted to say that I am praying that during this difficult time you find the strength and courage within you when you need it most and when you are struggling to find it please remember that you have shedloads of friends out there that are willing you forward one day at a time - why? because we all love you David :lol:

May I please thank everyone for the kind support that they have offered both Jan and myself. I did not ask for and do not expect sympathy, and I fully understand the dichotemy between the need to be positive and the occassional will to sometimes feel fed up. both are relevant and so far we are manging to steer an even course between the two extreems.

One of the things that have been really helpful is the way in which people have offered their support sensitively and without patronization, and I have been greatly encouraged by the support and wise words of those who have been through a similar experience themselves. Another thing which has impressed me is how many of the posters I have actually met, and how many more I have conducted conversations with through Canal World Forum. I know I have stamped my feet, and thrown my rattle out of my pram on more than one occassion, but when support is needed you have all shown what good friends you really are, and I thank you all.

In case I have given the wrong impression, I do, however, perhaps need to explain that I have fully recovered from my first operation and do not actually feel ill at all. In fact I feel fine, and was up a ladder at the weekend pruning a tree in the back garden. So normal activities are quite easy, and if the weather improves a little we will be visiting the boat if i can fit it in between my frequent hospital visits

As far as my medical progress is concerned, things are now moving along at a fast pace since management of my treatment has moved from Bath RUH to Bristol Southmead Hospital. Having seen the Senior Urology Consultant yesterday, I had an appointment with the Oncology Consultant this afternoon, and am booked into The Bristol Royal Infirmary on Monday morning for the first stage of my Chemoptherapy treatment. To steal phrase from Basil Fawlty, I now run the risk of becoming a "bleeding expert" on another subject where I posses no qualifications, and bore you all with the details. I will be given two injections, both intravenously, one takes about half an hour and the other about twelve hours so I have to stay in overnight. Eight days later I will be given a second half hour injection, and then two weeks later I go through the whole process again, with a third course after anothe two weeks.

The main purpose of this treatment is to restrict/test the growth of the lessions in my lungs, and to prevent the bladder cancer from spreading. Asssessing this will require a further CT scan, where the best result will appaently be no change in the size of the Lessions, indicating that they are not cancerous, however if they do shrink that is also quite good because it means that they can be controlled to the extent that it will be worth while undergoing major surgery to remove my bladder etc.

Apparently there can be some temporary unpleasant side effects, but the alternatives are worse, I have however been assured that the drugs being administered will probably not cause me to loose my hair, probably a good thing because even I cannot remember what I look like withiout a beard, let alone my wife and children. I also have to try and avoid sick people because my immune system will be low, a bit difficult if I am spending half my time in hospitals and clinics. On the plus side, although I don't know whether it is an advantage, or not, but all this sudden fuss over my health also puts me at the top of the list for a Swine Flu injection, which will be administered either tomorrow or on Friday.

If you haven't nodded off yet, may I once again thank everyone for their kindness and support, may I also thank all those who have PM'd me with their supprt and offers of help. I will keep you updated as things progress, although if I am feeling grotty I will probably not want to post any reports - did someone say hooray?

Edited by David Schweizer

'up a ladder at the weekend?'

Power to you David!! I just hate ladders!

Oh! and I'm certain you have heard from TeELL?

I met him and lovely lady a coupla years ago - he was still taking the cure, but seems to be in a great place now!

I wish all the best to both of you.

Sue