Very annoyed

lu n russ

Featured Posts

I'm surprised by the comments that boat prices are in free fall.

The brokerage I'm associated with has been selling boats consistently and we generally get somewhere near the asking price. Our main problem is getting boats to in to sell as we seem to turn them over so quickly that we just can't build up a decent stock. And we've sold boats in the £80K region as well, so we are not just selling them cheap.

Perhaps the idea of "free fall" comes from people just greatly over-valuing their boats. In the end the boat will usually sell for what it is worth; if you've overvalued it by £10K, then that is how much you will have to drop in order to sell it.

Hi Dor

Conversely if the broker undervalues the boat by £5,000-£10,000,a buyer will see and realise a bargain is on offer. With the sale done the broker has only reduced his earnings by £250 or £500 relatively at a 5%brokerage, the client is down 5 or 10 thousand.

This may answer just why boats are selling in a recession, this is fair if you are upgrading as it is only about the differential in price between the boat being sold to the boat being bought, both suffer the same underpricing so there is no loss and it generates sales. The losers are the people who are giving up boating, these poor souls are well out of pocket.

Dor you have been in boating long enough to know you just cannot build a new boat spec for spec for anywhere near the prices used boats are being sold for, this disparity in itself tells you boats are being undervalued.

Hi Colin

But new boats have always been at a premium compared to used boats. Partly because they are used, but alsopartly because people are prepared to spend extra to get something exactly how they want it. It will nearly always sell for less when on the market. Having said that, I recently sold an 18 month old boat for several thousand more than it cost new, basically because it was in excellent condition and was well designed. Build quality wasn't that good, but many people don't see that.

well khown marina in Northamptonshire

This is potentially more libellous than just naming the marina. There are several well known marinas in Northamptonshire (I can think of at least four), and all of them could take exception to this. By being so vague, you're implicating all of them.

This is potentially more libellous than just naming the marina. There are several well known marinas in Northamptonshire (I can think of at least four), and all of them could take exception to this. By being so vague, you're implicating all of them.

An interesting, valid point.

As I recall there are 3 things needed to create a contract - offer, acceptance and consideration. In this case there seems to have been offer and acceptance but no consideration (on the basis that the cheque had not arrived). All a bit sharp and a bit harsh but I guess that's the way it is.

There are plenty more tubes in the sewer!

If my understanding of the law is correct, "consideration" only has to be offered, not made. It sounds from the OP that a deposit must have been agreed on therefore "consideration" has been offered. Law in your favour.

However, unless you loose a large amount of money legal cost could be greater than claim. As suggested, get your deposit back and look for another boat.

This seems way off beam to me. So, for example, if you wrote that the manager of one of the premier league football clubs was a miserable old git, that's more libellous than stating "Sir Alex Ferguson is a miserable old git"? I hardly think so.

Why should it be? No harm in mentioning it in the context of an otherwise helpful and supportive answer. It is annoying after all.

Well it never annoyed me , why some people delight in being able to point out others lack of punctuation or spelling mistakes i dont know.

It has been mentioned before pointing it out can be more annoying , to some like me anyway.

Any way rose has now said it was meant in a light hearted way .

edit to add , i asked because i was not sure .

Edited by gaggle

That is their problem not ours.

:lol:

Agreed. If the broker has acted unfairly as the OP stated then there is nothing libelous about posting the name and the details in the same way as if I said "Don't eat at the Red Lion in Somevillage, the food there is terrible". It would be utterly pointless if due to libel laws I had to say "Don't eat at a pub in a village somewhere but I can't tell you where, the food there is terrible"

I think you need to seek the advice of the site owner, probably via the site crew, before posting a brokers name.

I appreciate the frustration, but one has to tread very carefully, and at the end of the day it's a private forum paid for by one individual.

If you wish.

Although saying good things about companies isnt going to get them complaining to the site owner.

True.

Unfortunately this is they way things have gone in this country. We can't say when we get crap service from a company in the same we can't tell a kid that they are naughty, kids aren't stupid any more and competitive games/sports are bad because someone has to lose! This is part of the reason why many other countries have considerably better national teams than us!

Oh, and by the way, I didn't get very good service from a boat cover maker based in the UK but I'm not allowed to tell anyone so shhhhhh!

True.

Unfortunately this is they way things have gone in this country. We can't say when we get crap service from a company in the same we can't tell a kid that they are naughty, kids aren't stupid any more and competitive games/sports are bad because someone has to lose! This is part of the reason why many other countries have considerably better national teams than us!

Oh, and by the way, I didn't get very good service from a boat cover maker based in the UK but I'm not allowed to tell anyone so shhhhhh!

That's a very good generic rant.

The specifics of this situation are that the site owner, Jon, who pays for this site doesn't want negative comments posted here because he doesn't want the trouble that this can cause. This is his site which he pays for, those are his rules, that's what we follow.

Richard