Lighting your fire

Featured Posts

Wanted - - I have to agree - - it's a term that has, over the decades, become less acceptable - A victim of this excessively 'politically correct' society (may the socks of the promulgators rot in hell) - - but - as we're constantly told - language is an ever-changing thing (I find there are unpleasant to some of these changes I must admit) and I find there are words or phrases I would use that now offends some of the more delicate amongst us. Out of courtesy to those peeps - I'll not use such phrases in their company.

It would be similarly courteous if FrigateCaptain offered such (social) respects

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo,

Catch a . . .

Oh how things have changed since I were a lad :lol:

I have to admit that I like Political correctness! if it means that such labels are removed then it can only be good, unfortunately the Daily Mail/Sun and such have distorted it’s original intention.

hugley off topic, how do I light my fire? with stolen copies of the daily mail! :lol:

The problem with burning paper is that it is generally a two stage process and after the initial 'flare-up' stage it produces a flaky carbon or ashlike substance that will usually expand and suffocate a normal fire unless there is some form of forced draught. The best way of disposing of used Daily Mail newsprint is to send it for pulping.

Edited by NB Alnwick

Are you not in danger of upsetting both yourself and neighbouring boats with the smell of burning crap ?

:lol:

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo,

Catch a . . .

Oh how things have changed since I were a lad :lol:

good

The problem with burning paper is that it is generally a two stage process and after the initial 'flare-up' stage it produces a flaky carbon or ashlike substance that will usually expand and suffocate a normal fire unless there is some form of forced draught. The best way of disposing of used Daily Mail newsprint is to send it for pulping.

it would not be used in our home!

Unfortunately the best cartoonist in the land, Jonathan Pugh, has just migrated to the Daily Mail after 15 years at the times. I just can't see that Daily Mail readers will get his gently ironic take on Middle England.

BTW, this FAQ thread has veered wildly off topic. What happens to posts when removed for innocent reasons, as will surely happen here? Are they corralled in some remote place to mill around in confusion?

Sorry, cant edit post for some reason, could a MOD change said word to "silly mick" for me?

FC

Don't worry - although 'spaz' is not a term that I would ever choose to use myself (although it is a term that has been used to describe me!) I think we can all accept that no offence was intended.

We all have to be far too careful these days in our choice of words for fear of who we might offend or upset and although I would never wish to deliberately offend or upset someone myself, I do think that many people are getting far too precious about the the whole politically correctness thing. Let's move on and forget it.

Don't worry - although 'spaz' is not a term that I would ever choose to use myself (although it is a term that has been used to describe me!) I think we can all accept that no offence was intended.

We all have to be far too careful these days in our choice of words for fear of who we might offend or upset and although I would never wish to deliberately offend or upset someone myself, I do think that many people are getting far too precious about the the whole politically correctness thing. Let's move on and forget it.

glad you think so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGAOCVwLrXo

If the owner of this site, whilst carrying out his day job, used that term, and someone made an complaint about it, would everybody just "accept that no offence was intended" ?

I'm regularly anything but "politically correct", but still disagree with your view that people who don't like such terms are over-reacting.

Would it be possible to get Jon's ruling on the point, please ? - If he's happy with it being used on his forum, I promise to start being less "precious" about it.

If the owner of this site, whilst carrying out his day job, used that term, and someone made an complaint about it, would everybody just "accept that no offence was intended" ?

I'm regularly anything but "politically correct", but still disagree with your view that people who don't like such terms are over-reacting.

Would it be possible to get Jon's ruling on the point, please ? - If he's happy with it being used on his forum, I promise to start being less "precious" about it.

Why don't you PM him?

Richard

Why don't you PM him?

Richard

Fair point, of course.

I have in the past found it took a very long while to contact Jon via PM, though I've not tried recently.

I kind of assumed that the mods have cause (and methods) to be in contact with him more often, and that might get his views a bit quicker.

As only "Wanted" and myself seem to object to the word, perhaps I'm over-reacting, but I can remember kids getting very heavy bo**ocking for it's use in the 1960s, and that was from games teachers who could not have been less politically correct, generally. I guess it depends on the era you grew up, to some extent.

A victim of this excessively 'politically correct' society (may the socks of the promulgators rot in hell)

Excessively politically correct?

What are you on?

To imply that "person with cerebral palsy" and "idiot" are synonyms seems to me to be entirely worthy of objection and at the very least it is worth thinking of the implications in such juxtaposition.

What are you on?

To imply that "person with cerebral palsy" and "idiot" are synonyms seems to me to be entirely worthy of objection and at the very least it is worth thinking of the implications in such juxtaposition.

I could not agree more.

WW

What are you on?

Agreed

Fair point, of course.

I have in the past found it took a very long while to contact Jon via PM, though I've not tried recently.

I kind of assumed that the mods have cause (and methods) to be in contact with him more often, and that might get his views a bit quicker.

As only "Wanted" and myself seem to object to the word, perhaps I'm over-reacting, but I can remember kids getting very heavy bo**ocking for it's use in the 1960s, and that was from games teachers who could not have been less politically correct, generally. I guess it depends on the era you grew up, to some extent.

The basic message in my response was that no harm was intended and the poster has apologised so LET US MOVE ON and FORGET IT!

Some of us, including the site owner have far more important things to do with our time than worry about something like this - if people really want to make a major issue out of it that is up to them but please don't expect us to spend our time joining your political correctness campaigns when we have better things to do - like boating . . .

.............the poster has apologised.

Which is good, of course.

Perhaps it's a bit unfair to put the quote you have done from me in your answer though, given that I wrote that before the apology was made ?

I still don't agree with you, I'm afraid, and it's obvious that there are more of us with "political correctness gone mad" than perhaps you really care to acknowledge, particularly as I have received supporting comments from people who have not posted openly.