central heating anti freeze

Guest wanted

Featured Posts

I have a back boiler on a squirrel stove which leads to two rads in the boat and one smaller one in the back cabin, there is an open stainless steel tank that I top up with water every now and then, which also has a return pipe leading back into it. I don't know much about these things so is this closed circuit system that would need some antifreeze bunged in? we Live aboard so will this be necessary? tried to search for this to no avail.

Cheers

I have a back boiler on a squirrel stove which leads to two rads in the boat and one smaller one in the back cabin, there is an open stainless steel tank that I top up with water every now and then, which also has a return pipe leading back into it. I don't know much about these things so is this closed circuit system that would need some antifreeze bunged in? we Live aboard so will this be necessary? tried to search for this to no avail.

Cheers

hi,

Sounds like an unpressurised system and would benefit from some frost protection and an inhibitor. Drain some water off and mix some water and antifreeze together and top up the system, running any circulating pump if you have one or warm the system slowly with the fire.

It is unwise to add the anti-freeze undiluted.

It is wise not to overfill the header tank.

Hope this helps.

Leo

Hi

I have always used a fernox product, besides the anti freeze part of it you get all the other benefits as well.

Plumbcentre/plumbworld or any good plumbers merchants will stock it.

I can't remember which one I used, make sure you tell them for what type of system it's for.

Ive a Mikuni mx40 heater and i put Tesco AF in it due to it being very thin, dilutes easy and gets worked via the pump ok to, about £1.50p per litre great stuff.

Put enough in until the water turns slighty blue and the rads still get hot, Never had a problem. Kristian.

I would have thought if you live aboard it would be unneccesary and if it is open at the header tank the alchohol in the antifreeze will evaporate rendering it useless.......

Awaits confermation or ridicule from boffins :lol:

Absolutely correct - about 30 years ago - in some cases :lol:

Its years since I saw antifreeze with alcohol in it. Nowadays they are all based on ethylene glycol or something that has "poly" in its name. neither will evaporate.

Personally I wouldn't have Ethylene Glycol anywhere near my living space - it is a sweet tasting but very powerful poison and even a small drop diluted in water is enough to kill a human being. Pets and domestic animals often die from Ethylene Glycol poisoning but its effects are often played down because marketing companies and the firms that produce and sell the stuff make obscene profits by convincing us all that we need it!

Adding large quantities to a boat's systems must increase the chances of the stuff getting into the canal and other water courses and this could have disastrous effects long term.

It could contaminate calorifier water via heating coil, best to minimise risk either by not using it or making sure cal water is at higher pressure than coil water/antifreeze + making sure drinking and cooking water comes from cold tap or mixer tap is on cold setting and run for a short while.

Absolutely correct - about 30 years ago - in some cases :lol:

Its years since I saw antifreeze with alcohol in it. Nowadays they are all based on ethylene glycol or something that has "poly" in its name. neither will evaporate.

I am often accused of living in a time warp, you have just confirmed it, at last i have achieved something :lol:

cheers for replying, I just have to suss out who's right now! :lol: I guess if it dosent hurt the system then it's probably worth adding some, Safe/sorry and all that.

thanks again

Personally I wouldn't have Ethylene Glycol anywhere near my living space - it is a sweet tasting but very powerful poison and even a small drop diluted in water is enough to kill a human being. Pets and domestic animals often die from Ethylene Glycol poisoning but its effects are often played down because marketing companies and the firms that produce and sell the stuff make obscene profits by convincing us all that we need it!

Adding large quantities to a boat's systems must increase the chances of the stuff getting into the canal and other water courses and this could have disastrous effects long term.

Sorry, Just read this one again, better think a bit first I reckon. cheers