BBC1 Inside Out - Canal regeneration on the Ashby, Derby and Grantham Canal.

larrysanders

Featured Posts

No - it's tomorrow night.

It seems that the Ashby extension is being paid for by UK Coal as part of its plan to get permission for an opencast mine, which isn't going down very well with the locals.

Linky

Then it's the 9th November then.

I'll defo be watching this as we are off on a break on the Ashby next week. :lol:

It seems that the Ashby extension is being paid for by UK Coal as part of its plan to get permission for an opencast mine, which isn't going down very well with the locals.

In a similar vein, the only way the Grantham canal will ever be reconnected will be as payoff for greenbelt development. Currently it's in the plans for the new footy stadium, but I think that won't materialise as the county and the district have pulled out of the bid. However Ruschliffe still need lots of new homes (anyone see Countryfile?) and the airfield is a prime site as it counts as brownfield. Any strategic plan will include Holm Pierrepont and the canal is attractive to the planners, providing they don't have to deal with the smelly disreputable boaters that come with it.

Thought this might be of interest. 'Inside Out' is reporting the lastest work/plans on The Ashby, The Derby and The Grantham Canal Monday 9th Oct 7.30pm BBC1. If you're out of the region you watch on SKY BBC1 East Midlands.

Short, but enjoyable. Thanks for the hint, I would have missed it. ("Freesat" here in the West of Germany)

Short, but enjoyable. Thanks for the hint, I would have missed it. ("Freesat" here in the West of Germany)

I agree - something different from the ever repeating Waterworld and Locks & Quays on Discovery....

Edited by MJG

I agree - something different from the ever repeating Waterworld and Locks & Quays on Discovery....

Or that Dover series, (I'd rather watch a programme building a normal narrow boat).

Or that other thing he did interviewing companies that just happen to be near the canal :lol:

BTW, East Midlands Today which is on BB1 Midlands at 06.30pm are doing a peice on canals too.

Edited by Dyad

No - it's tomorrow night.

Linky

These people should be registered, and their electricity supply interupted at random intervals. That should sharpen the mind that coal is extracted for a reason.

These people should be registered, and their electricity supply interupted at random intervals. That should sharpen the mind that coal is extracted for a reason.

UK Coal plc extracts coal to make a profit for its shareholders.

I trust your mind is now sharp.

Edited by Cosmic

UK Coal plc extracts coal to make a profit for its shareholders.

I trust your mind is now sharp.

Well, they would not do it for free, that is obvious. You don't need a sharp brain for that.

But the people who complain about the mine, would complain even harder when the coal fired electricity station stops working.

:lol:

Maybe some people will be more upset by the lack of coal than the presence of the mine, although I don't think that is likely to apply to many in that particular place.

The proposed mine is on the site of an old deep mine, so it's not so much a case of NIMBY as "Oh no, not again!"

(BTW sorry if the tone of my previous post was a bit off - note to self: don't post when drunk! :lol: )

Well, they would not do it for free, that is obvious. You don't need a sharp brain for that.

But the people who complain about the mine, would complain even harder when the coal fired electricity station stops working.

We appear to have sterilized rather more in the way of coal reserves in the last 20 years, through abandonment and flooding, to make this opencast a bit of a sideshow in the "lights going out" stakes. People are looking for a cheap quicky rather than a return to large scale deep mining, even though we still have sizeable reserves. Which is why opencasts, washing of old pit tips and similar are always popular with developers. Unlike the mines, they don't have the rail infrastructure the pits did, which means locals get understandably hacked off by lorry movements, noise and disruption without the economic benefits (along with the health and environment problems) that the old pit communities had.

Thought this might be of interest. 'Inside Out' is reporting the lastest work/plans on The Ashby, The Derby and The Grantham Canal Monday 9th Oct 7.30pm BBC1. If you're out of the region you watch on SKY BBC1 East Midlands.

We enjoyed the programme - could have done with a lot more though! Thank heavens for Sky+ as no problem recording it.

Our thanks to larrysanders for letting us know that this was on.

Stewey

Maybe some people will be more upset by the lack of coal than the presence of the mine, although I don't think that is likely to apply to many in that particular place.

The proposed mine is on the site of an old deep mine, so it's not so much a case of NIMBY as "Oh no, not again!"

(BTW sorry if the tone of my previous post was a bit off - note to self: don't post when drunk! :lol: )

No worries, I always allow for a bit of 'blurred vision' after 23.00.... :lol: I have been known to post when it was ill advised to do so.... :lol: