Staying up late

Smelly

Featured Posts

Late nights til March.

compared to the old central heating timer I reckon it's ace... :lol:

my other half is usually the late night one, turning in at 1 or 2 and I'm up by 6 or 7 most days this week, so it's easy to keep a stove in. I have to do a late one and an early morning tonight/tomorrow., so theres no way that stove is going out! :lol:

Edited by Lady Muck

The last xx years I have been an advocate of diesel heaters ( kabola, Refleks et al ) BUT now gone back to the darkside with a restored 19XX Godin stove

C

Not had a SF stove on a boat to feed, but a hungry open fire at home and the best wood I recall for it was well-seasoned ( dry) beech - burns slowly with a hot flame - even the dog caught fire once, laid out in front of it :lol: - well, started smouldering anyway - lucky we were there I suppose.... I guess she couldn't feel she was too hot...

Nick

I know I'm a relative young 'un, but since my formative years I've spent more than half of those living with and supplying some kind of solid fuel jobby.

I think I'd feel a traitor using diesel. Plus there's be no use for an axe and Bp would thus be bored on her weekends off.

Which reminds me, we're off for another couple of months' timber this weekend. Only one thing better than an axe and a big pile of timber for sorting a hangover, well at least while clothed, and that involves locks and sausage and egg butties. :lol:

Not had a SF stove on a boat to feed, but a hungry open fire at home and the best wood I recall for it was well-seasoned ( dry) beech - burns slowly with a hot flame - even the dog caught fire once, laid out in front of it :lol: - well, started smouldering anyway - lucky we were there I suppose.... I guess she couldn't feel she was too hot...

Nick

We've got some beech, just need a chainsaw bar long enough to sned it... There's still one of my felling wedges in it from last time we tried taking anything off it...

We love our stove, one of the main reasons for living aboard was the prospect of cozy nights, sloe gin and all that goes with winter, Also I like the fact that when you have things like SF burners you have to work a bit so you tend to get a bit more out of it . We know this wise old geezer who always told us that fire wood should keep you warm at least 3 times, cutting it, carrying it, and then burning it! spot on IMHO. :lol: Just to add I was given one of those newspaper log makers a while ago, I use the shredded paper from work, the 'logs' are pretty good and seem to heat the burner up quite quickly, although I don't think they could be used just on there own, but free fuel none the less.

Just to add I was given one of those newspaper log makers a while ago, I use the shredded paper from work, the 'logs' are pretty good and seem to heat the burner up quite quickly,

What a good idea!

How was it for ash?

What a good idea!

How was it for ash?

They kind of smoulder for a an hour or so giving off a bit of warmth, i use them with coal, Just means I use slightly less. They are a bit ash heavy but I haven't had any problems, here they are http://www.ciao.co.uk/The_Famous_Log_Maker__6591092.

Got my neighbour making them as well, proper production line!

Some people say that making the logs are a bit of a fuss, but I enjoy it, glass of ale, radio on and get on with it!

Have fun

I know I'm a relative young 'un, but since my formative years I've spent more than half of those living with and supplying some kind of solid fuel jobby

We've got some beech, just need a chainsaw bar long enough to sned it... There's still one of my felling wedges in it from last time we tried taking anything off it...

How old is a relative young 'un? Some of my relatives are young - some are younger than me ( sods!!) Most are older. And we all like solid fuel - apple logs - arrrhhh ! and a drop of sloe gin - yum.

Just had a sample of the sloe gin - it is good - but should I have tried every bottle?? And now for the damson brandy...

Way off topic wanted but your avatar looks like Fat Freddies cat. Back on topic, I use a mixture of wood for the stove depends on what I find but overnight I use smokeless fuel because I like the fire to stay in till morning.Us cats like our warmth.

Tis indeed Fat Freddies Cat, and yep warmth is what it's all about, as well as smokeless, and the paper log's we also burn whatever floats passed or get caught up in the weir. The only problem we have is stopping the kitten from running behind the burner! don't want an unlucky fried kitten!

keep warm

We love our stove, one of the main reasons for living aboard was the prospect of cozy nights, sloe gin and all that goes with winter, Also I like the fact that when you have things like SF burners you have to work a bit so you tend to get a bit more out of it . We know this wise old geezer who always told us that fire wood should keep you warm at least 3 times, cutting it, carrying it, and then burning it! spot on IMHO. :lol: Just to add I was given one of those newspaper log makers a while ago, I use the shredded paper from work, the 'logs' are pretty good and seem to heat the burner up quite quickly, although I don't think they could be used just on there own, but free fuel none the less.

The old geezer should have mentioned cleaning out the grate and building a new fire!

It's not good for either plants or bonsai trees. Mine hate being on board and I can only assume it's the solid fuel. The only tree that seems hardy enough is the ficus so I guess I'll just have those on board in future.

I guess the solid fuel dries the air a bit too much for plants.

I use my boat stove all he time but it's taking some time to get the hang of keeping it going for long periods. My stove is pretty small so it's easy for air to get blocked off and the whole thing to go out.

I've sawn up enough logs this morning to keep me going for a little while, run out of coal last night though..