Narrow Boat Width

spacecactus

Featured Posts

The internal width does vary. Mine is built 'Birmingham square' with vertical hull sides. This gives a 6'4" internal width.

Alot of modern mass produced boats are narrower as the hull sides lean in and the base plate is only a 2meter wide plate and they leave a large edge sticking out. I've been in boats which only have 5'8" internal width.

The 'modern' narrowboat is usually built to a maximum width of 6' 10''. (external)

So yes they are all the same approximately.

The tumblehome, cabin sides, can make a difference but this has to built to ensure it can get through tunnels and bridges without hitting the top corners. Still possible though, evidence tunnel and bridge entrances. :lol:

Hull shape also has a effect, for instance mine is built with vertical sides, so giving more floor space and others have the sides sloping inwards but it only is a couple of inches gained.

Does mean the inside walls are vertical below the gunnel (speelling) though.

• 8 years later...
On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2009 at 20:44, spacecactus said:

I am aware of wide beam narrow boats.

However are all the usual width narrow boats the same internal width? Or are they all diffrent widths?

Cheers

hi there

any canals wide enough for my canal boat that is roughly as wide as a JCB not 100% sure on dimensions.

• Haha 1

On 30/01/2018 at 17:30, ditchcrawler said:

In another post he says its a 7.1 foot cruiser stuck in a field

Anyone know what happened to that other post? It has disappeared off the face of the Internet and I was only on page one.... Was looking forward to reading the rest :/

6 hours ago, Sammas09 said:

Anyone know what happened to that other post? It has disappeared off the face of the Internet and I was only on page one.... Was looking forward to reading the rest :/

+1

I managed to read to the end and found it one of the funniest threads yet. No idea why it has been removed, maybe one of the mods could tell us.

Unless it was alien intervention..............

40 minutes ago, manxmike said:

+1

I managed to read to the end and found it one of the funniest threads yet. No idea why it has been removed, maybe one of the mods could tell us.

Unless it was alien intervention..............

I suspect something to do with it being a banned member who has made a fake profile :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Well done mods.

It was fun to start with but the joke was long over.

Fairly standard stuff, OP got the result he(She) required, keep upping the Ante to see how far you can get, Post deletion or ban counts as a result to some, very little is new on tinternet. At least their was  initially a degree of humour in that one.

Edited by reg

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are not such actions discussed and agreed upon by 'the mods', rather than just a single mod operating in isolation ?

You are essentially correct, but the two are not mutually exclusive.

The pity of it is that in my experience there are many (I am going to get shot down over this but don' know how else to put it) people around who seem to lack basic mental faculties and common sense. The other topic that has gone could all too easily have been true with someone being sold a boat in a filed for an irresistible price with the assurance it would be easy to get into the canal.

Similarly this topic looked as if it might have come from someone who had no idea about boats and had been taken in by the cheap housing thing. Its only after a while it becomes clear its a wind up.

We get a fair few questions here and I get them directly that seem so naive they could be wind ups, luckily most arn't but it makes one wonder how they survive in this world of legalised con-men.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 4

Saw some where, (Off T) that a narrow beam is, if it was British, EU or other standard, something like 14 or 16 feet wide, but cant remember where I saw that.

Before now, a Swedish ship was longer then 12 meter and wider then 4 meter, but now if it is more then 24 meter it is a ship, not a boat.

but it still say if it is a privat boat longer then 12 AND wider then 4 meter the PIC need naval licence. 

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

The pity of it is that in my experience there are many (I am going to get shot down over this but don' know how else to put it) people around who seem to lack basic mental faculties and common sense. The other topic that has gone could all too easily have been true with someone being sold a boat in a filed for an irresistible price with the assurance it would be easy to get into the canal.

Similarly this topic looked as if it might have come from someone who had no idea about boats and had been taken in by the cheap housing thing. Its only after a while it becomes clear its a wind up.

We get a fair few questions here and I get them directly that seem so naive they could be wind ups, luckily most arn't but it makes one wonder how they survive in this world of legalised con-men.

Well said, Tony. That's my objection to that kind of wind up thread, it's exploiting the goodwill of decent blokes like yourself just to get a cheap laugh. I too wasn't sure for a while if it was serious, especially if the OP had a limited command of English.

If it had been in the VP it would have been a different matter.

• Greenie 2