Blackburn

Tonyhair

Featured Posts

My wife and I stopped at Enam Wharf, Blackburn on Saturday 24th October (3pm) for a quick on board lunch, within minutes of mooring up three of the six male youths aged 11 -15 started jumping on the roof of No Brass. At first I played the nice guy, but all I got back was abuse. I then pretended to take photo's with my mobile. Three ran off, the other three jumped back on the roof. As I tried to make a get away, They jumped off and grabbed the front and rear ropes. They did not have the strength to hold No Brass back and the (6 foot) ringleader almost ended up in the canal (if only). His (5 ft) mate then spit at me but missed.

As we made our getaway, I phoned the police and give a full account of the incident, this is the first time in 30 years hiring and now owning our own boat that we have come across this type of behaviour. So far the police have not made contact, for the record a few weeks ago a man was set upon by a four teenagers, one of whom is charged with murder, less than a quarter of a mile away at Blackburn Locks

But this was not the only incident of our trip, the following day travelling through Rosegrove (just before Gannow Tunnel) three youths took a pot shot at me with a Airgun.

My wife and I stopped at Enam Wharf, Blackburn on Saturday 24th October (3pm) for a quick on board lunch, within minutes of mooring up three of the six male youths aged 11 -15 started jumping on the roof of No Brass. At first I played the nice guy, but all I got back was abuse. I then pretended to take photo's with my mobile. Three ran off, the other three jumped back on the roof. As I tried to make a get away, They jumped off and grabbed the front and rear ropes. They did not have the strength to hold No Brass back and the (6 foot) ringleader almost ended up in the canal (if only). His (5 ft) mate then spit at me but missed.

As we made our getaway, I phoned the police and give a full account of the incident, this is the first time in 30 years hiring and now owning our own boat that we have come across this type of behaviour. So far the police have not made contact, for the record a few weeks ago a man was set upon by a four teenagers, one of whom is charged with murder, less than a quarter of a mile away at Blackburn Locks

But this was not the only incident of our trip, the following day travelling through Rosegrove (just before Gannow Tunnel) three youths took a pot shot at me with a Airgun.

Sorry to hear this but luckily I think incidents like this are thankfully still pretty rare.

PS you joined us in August last year - why so long for your first post?

Edited by MJG

Speaking from personal experience, and as a local to the area, I can assure you that these were isolated incidents, although I agree it was most unfortunate for you to experience two such incidents in such a short space of time!

I went up through Blackburn locks and on to Hapton with Lonewolf at the beginning of this month, on a Saturday, with not one single problem apart from a couple of weed hatch trips. Admittedly the weather was foul, (guaranteed to keep any ne'er do wells at home!) but we've also cruised this area on both our hire boat holidays and with our own boat without ever experiencing the problems you've had.

I regularly walk, and fish, the stretch between Blackburn and Burnley, and have never experienced anything like this. When the weather's good, I walk along the canal from Gannow Wharf into Burnley on my way to work and again have never had any problems.

The only section that would worry me slightly is the famous "Mile Cut" in Burnley town centre...being so close to the town, it does attract its fair share of oddballs, but they're usually quite harmless...

Please don't let it put you off...the Leeds and Liverpool Canal is one of the finest in the country.

Janet

I am sorry to hear this. We have been through Blackburn numerous times without problems, and often youths have helped my wife with lock gates etc. I did once see some kids shooting up under a bridge, but they didn't give us any problems. I am sure that this is an isolated incident, but such intimidation can be very frightening. There used to be problems on the Wigan flight, but they seem fine these days, again youths helping out sometimes.

I am sorry to hear this. We have been through Blackburn numerous times without problems, and often youths have helped my wife with lock gates etc. I did once see some kids shooting up under a bridge, but they didn't give us any problems. I am sure that this is an isolated incident, but such intimidation can be very frightening. There used to be problems on the Wigan flight, but they seem fine these days, again youths helping out sometimes.

Its the percentage rule of life

Right time right place

Wrong time wrong place... and the dreaded percentage rule takes another victim, best not let it get to you just console yourself with the fact that youve probably had your allocation and that will be it :lol::lol:

I'm sure that was a very unpleasant experience :lol:

However, we travelled through Blackburn twice in the last couple of montha with no problems. The second time we were advised by a fellow boater not to go through after 9am but to have a really early start and get through before the ne'erdowells had woken. As it turned out our timetable (always erratic - never to schedule!) took us through at school kicking out time. We had a smooth run with no problems.

I'd never denigrate anyone's unpleasant experience, but hate to see an area demonised by isolated encounters.

Tis a difficult one

We were moored up at the Wharf, in front of the now closed pub

However, we travelled through Blackburn twice in the last couple of montha with no problems. The second time we were advised by a fellow boater not to go through after 9am but to have a really early start and get through before the ne'erdowells had woken. As it turned out our timetable (always erratic - never to schedule!) took us through at school kicking out time. We had a smooth run with no problems.

I'd never denigrate anyone's unpleasant experience, but hate to see an area demonised by isolated encounters.

Tis a difficult one

Angie

I had no intention of demonising this section of the canal, I just felt those using this section of the Leeds Liverpool should be aware of our incident. It is better to safe than sorry.

Tis a difficult one

Angie

I had no intention of demonising this section of the canal, I just felt those using this section of the Leeds Liverpool should be aware of our incident. It is better to safe than sorry.

The canal has had problems like this since it opened in 1815, barges have always been a target.

Was it actually at the wharf or either side of it?

We moored up at the Wharf, in front of the now closed pub

Tony

My passage through Blackburn last year was actually rather heart-warming (but nothing to do with the inhabitants). Moored up at the wharf for lunch, I became aware of an elderly man trying to attract my attention. Turned out to be an 80-year old retired history professor from Washington, USA, touring Britain to indulge his passion for our industrial heritage. He'd travelled quite a long way to find the canalside museum closed, so I offered him a trip on the boat instead.

We cruised along to Hapton, where Mrs Mac was waiting with the car. I think it was the highlight of his whole trip. Never have I heard such enthusiasm for a collection of near-derelict buildings in an industrial wasteland. :lol:

Mac

Its the percentage rule of life

Right time right place

Wrong time wrong place... and the dreaded percentage rule takes another victim, best not let it get to you just console yourself with the fact that youve probably had your allocation and that will be it :lol::lol:

Yep, i'd go along with that. Thats very unlucky getting two incidents like that on the same day. Having said that, nearly twenty years ago, in a moment of madness two of us carrying windlasses and a foul mood chased two youths in their early teens down the towpath in Manchester after stones were thrown at the boat. They had omitted to look over the other side of the bridge where we were sat on the lock! We chased them for nearly a quarter of a mile and caught up with them. The look of terror on their face as my 6'6" friend waved the windlass about, with suggestions about where he would stick it, as he castigated them was not something that either of us are particularly proud about now, but it seemed to do the job at the time. Not something I'd do now.

The other comment made on this thread about the weather is well made. These idiots also tend to be lazy and always follow the path of least resistance. Hence if your are travelling, or moored, in pouring rain I would say you are much less likely to get bother. A friend of mine used to be a plod in the Met and made the very lucid observation that it is extremely rare to see a riot or major disturbance in the pouring rain.

Angie

Sorry Tony, my post wasn't aimed at you personally, just the general attitude we've encountered towards Blackburn

Wishing you happy & safe boating

:lol: