Severn and Canal Carrying co ltd

aldersley

Featured Posts

While researching my family tree,i have found that my G Grandfather was the master of Aldersley and motor no 6 Which were bought by Thomas Clayton. Also all his brothers and father worked for the SCCC.

William Mann master of Aldersley and No 6

John Mann master of Kempsey

Walter Mann master of Wulfruna

Charles Mann master of Hanbury , No3, Severn Collier

I would be grateful if any body has information on the above boats ,are they still in use etc.

Phil

While researching my family tree,i have found that my G Grandfather was the master of Aldersley and motor no 6 Which were bought by Thomas Clayton. Also all his brothers and father worked for the SCCC.

I would be grateful if any body has information on the above boats ,are they still in use etc.

Phil

Narrow Boat Magazine did an early feature about boats of that fleet.

I think you can still buy as back numbers, but internet access here is poor, and I'm struggling to check.

I'm sure there would be fleet lists in the article, which I think I have, but it's at home, not on the boat.

Lots of forum readers subscribe to this magazine, so perhaps someone can see if those boats are listed.

If nobody bites, I'll check when home, (in about 9 to 10 days).

I assume your source was from a census ? I'd be interested which one gives this much detail, as often very little is given for boating folk.

Narrow Boat Magazine did an early feature about boats of that fleet.

I think you can still buy as back numbers, but internet access here is poor, and I'm struggling to check.

I'm sure there would be fleet lists in the article, which I think I have, but it's at home, not on the boat.

Lots of forum readers subscribe to this magazine, so perhaps someone can see if those boats are listed.

If nobody bites, I'll check when home, (in about 9 to 10 days).

I assume your source was from a census ? I'd be interested which one gives this much detail, as often very little is given for boating folk.

I managed to get in contact with the waterways archive, they sent me a list of boats that my G Grandfather was running . Also the boats his father ran.

phil

Hi

TC(O) Ltd bought 4 boats from SCCC in 1948 -

Aldersley (also known as MV8) was renamed Dove, now full cabin conversion, believed still existing

and has an entry in the National Historic Ships Register -

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/sh...hip&id=1423

MV6 was renamed Don, fate unknown

MV2 was renamed Dart, In 1968 was shortened to 58', believed still existing

Bath (MV11) was renamed Dane, Still existing, restored to original condition

(as at TC(O) Ltd) with the addition of a forecabin

Andy (AMModels) site has a page dediacted to SCCC,

http://models.bipolar4all.co.uk/severn_and_canal.htm

and another for Thomas Clayton

http://models.bipolar4all.co.uk/thomas_clayton.htm

cheers

springy

Edited by springy

Hi,

Don should or ought to be still be about, was heavily rebuilt I believe at Tooleys in the 1980's, Hanbury, Kempsey and Wulfruna are certainly gone, only one Severner Horse boat is afloat and that is Stourport (converted). There are two wrecks near Keays, maybe Compton and Tettenhall. Severn Collier lies within the protected wrecks at Purton on the Severn.

Phil

I can add that the Mann's were also associated with:-

boat----------owner--------------------master

THOMAS - John Parrot, Droitwich - John Mann @ 02/1879

CARDIFF - S&CCS&STCo Ltd - Thomas Mann @ 03/1879

ANNE - Thomas Mann, Gloucester - Thomas Mann @ 12/1887

MANX QUEEN - Jacob Rice & Son, Gloucester - T Mann @ 05/1898

ROSE - James Wintle, Gloucester - Henry Mann @ 01/1899

BLACKPOLE - S&CCCo Ltd - Charles Mann @ 05/1928

and other Severn & Canal Carrying Co. Ltd. boats ALDER (1947) , BELFAST (1924), BRISTOL (1924), DEE (1924 - 1927), HYDE (1924 - 1926), KINVER (1937), NEPEAN (1924 - 1929) and RHYDD (1927 - 1931)

and all these with just a five minute search, so I am sure there are loads more !

Edited by pete harrison

Hi,

Don should or ought to be still be about, was heavily rebuilt I believe at Tooleys in the 1980's, Hanbury, Kempsey and Wulfruna are certainly gone, only one Severner Horse boat is afloat and that is Stourport (converted). There are two wrecks near Keays, maybe Compton and Tettenhall. Severn Collier lies within the protected wrecks at Purton on the Severn.

My records indicate that COMPTON was on still employed on the Walsall Power Station traffic in 1961, at E. Thomas's yard 1965 and converted to a house boat at John Wooley's boatyard at Iver in 1968. By the early 1970's COMPTON was a house boat above Batchworth Lock at Rickmansworth, but I have nothing post 1975.

I have no details regarding TETTENHALL except it ended up with Leonard Leigh Ltd., British Electric Authority (later C.E.G.B.) then E. Thomas per B.C.N. register 2162 (same history as COMPTON).

I last saw STOURPORT at Claverton on the Kennet & Avon Canal 12 June 2004 as a shortened pleasure boat.

• 2 months later...

Took on the project that is Don from WFB Co in July.

Poor Don was full of mould and junk and the engine in peices.

After a clean out and repairs to engine she has been made canal worthy again.

As mentioned Don was previously MV6 for S&CC Co.

MV6 was a reworking of the butty Dee, also mentioned above.

This was done at Stourport, where Dee was originally built ( 1910 ).

With some difficulty due to narrowing of locks and spreading of old wooden boat Don has now been brought back to Stourport. The conversion is now being removed prior to fitting planks and cloths.

You are welcome to contact me if you are interested in having a look. Back cabin and engine hole are quite original - bar the Russell Newbery DM2 in place of the bolinder!

• 6 years later...