Can Anyone Help

Doorman

Featured Posts

Hi doorman,

Cant be the fred? fred is 58ft long? stern behind the wheelhouse looks short unless its been made longer, ha ha looks like something off the beverley hillbillies!, definately no comparison of the way she looks today, get that camera of yours sorted out and lets get some pictures on the forum im sure people will be amazed at the transformation.

Lockdodger( okay, capt pugwash ) :lol:

Just having trouble getting spares for me Brownie :lol:

Hi doorman,

Cant be the fred? fred is 58ft long? stern behind the wheelhouse looks short unless its been made longer, ha ha looks like something off the beverley hillbillies!, definately no comparison of the way she looks today, get that camera of yours sorted out and lets get some pictures on the forum im sure people will be amazed at the transformation.

Lockdodger( okay, capt pugwash ) :lol:

Which picture are you referring to? The one in this thread is from the front, looks about right to me even if the pic is a bit dark.

I posted a pic of the original Fred (about 35') in another thread, maybe that's the one you're referring to?

Tim

• 2 years later...

I see this boat is for sale on Apolloduck... http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=236498 I rather like it :)

This boat is truly unique and belongs to an aquantance of ours. I have actually had the privilege of working on the 6 cylinder Gardner engine whilst we were moored up at Scarisbrick Marina near Southport, Merseyside.

The features are endless and the boat is one of Roger Fuller's finest that he describes as "90% animal, 10% mineral". The six cylinder engine is a little too powerful for canal work and the boat would sit more comfortably on the rivers.

If we didn't own our narrowboat, this is one vessel that I would swim the channel for!

Mike

So might be ideal for a life on the Thames then...? Hmmm

No, no! This isn't a houseboat, it's a mean machine working boat that revels in being sailed on a regualr basis.

Mike

ETA The asking price is somewhat inflated compared to what the present owner paid for it.

Edited by Doorman

Not much point having a boat unless you're going to go boating in it ;) Yes the price is a bit steep - there must be a pretty limited market for such an individual craft as that, and even less with the cash to afford it!

Quite so.

That's why the boat has been on the Fettler's Wharf Brokerage for over two years to date. But for someone with a wad of cash and an eye for the individual, this boat is certainly a desirable vessel.

We travelled along the leeds & Liverpool along with the owner, venturing along to the Albert Dock complex at Liverpool. Even though the steering is hydraulic and controlled by the wheel, Tony (the owner) handled it really well! Our only problem was when we breasted up in the likes of the Stanley lock, the rising hullside rubbing strakes of his boat encroached past our gunwhales, nearly touching our cabin side. :help:

There where very few heads that didn't turn when such an unusual boat slipped by. Once in the Salthouse dock, the throttle was opened up leaving us strimmer engined narrow boats in its wake. Superb!

Mike

Quite so.

That's why the boat has been on the Fettler's Wharf Brokerage for over two years to date. But for someone with a wad of cash and an eye for the individual, this boat is certainly a desirable vessel.

We travelled along the leeds & Liverpool along with the owner, venturing along to the Albert Dock complex at Liverpool. Even though the steering is hydraulic and controlled by the wheel, Tony (the owner) handled it really well! Our only problem was when we breasted up in the likes of the Stanley lock, the rising hullside rubbing strakes of his boat encroached past our gunwhales, nearly touching our cabin side. :help:

There where very few heads that didn't turn when such an unusual boat slipped by. Once in the Salthouse dock, the throttle was opened up leaving us strimmer engined narrow boats in its wake. Superb!

Mike

If it's such a desirable boat, why has it been on brokerage for over two years, when AIUI the present owner only bought it about two and a half years ago? Must have quickly decided it wasn't what he wanted?

Tim

If it's such a desirable boat, why has it been on brokerage for over two years, when AIUI the present owner only bought it about two and a half years ago? Must have quickly decided it wasn't what he wanted?

Tim

Hi Tim,

Having known the owner for some time, I can only say that he has the characteristics of a butterfly, flitting from one place to another throughout his life. I doubt whether he's ever known what he's wanted.

Mike

Makes sense really to have a niche boat like that constantly for sale. That way there's always the possibility a buyer might pop up, rather than no chance if it's not for sale!

The term 'speculation' comes to mind in this particular case. :glare:

Mike

A pity it's so far oop north, wouldn't mind having a look at it. Not that I've quite got £85k to spend on a boat!

Along with many others I would surmise.

As tempting it would be to go along to view it, I would only advise not to waste your time and expense, especially as you say about not having the funds to purchase.

You will only come away drooling and searching for ways to raise the money. Next thing you know, you'll be advertising one of your kidneys on Ebay!

Even though the photo's on Apollo Duck are pretty comprehensive, they still don't do the boat justice.

Having once wedged myself within the engine room, nestled alongside the Gardner 6LX engine, I was able to see and appreciate the work and design that's gone into building this marine masterpiece.

It is truly a 'one off' and as such, merits a caring new owner who will use it to its full potential. I remember raising the issue of the boat being over-engined for canal work and one of the forum members suggested the use of a Trolling Valve accessory for the PRM gearbox. If this additional part were to be fitted, then the boat could be used comfortably on both canal and river. In its present state, in order not to pull up any canal side trees (or houses), the boat has to virtually run at tickover speed, which is 425rpm set by yours truly. Anything above that and the monster just draws too much water.

On tickover, the engine sounds like a well oiled Singer sewing machine! :wub:

The living accommodation could not be described as spacious, but homely. Because of the deep draught, when you're sitting at the dining table you appear to be at the water level. In truth though, the term 'completely refurbished' as stated in the advertisement, is being a little flippant.

I was at its present location when the previous owner delivered the boat from its previous berth on the Trent. His sadness at having to sell the vessel in order to fund a house purchase was palpable to say the least! I could certainly empathise with the bloke as you could see it was a wrench to let it go.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Along with many others I would surmise.

As tempting it would be to go along to view it, I would only advise not to waste your time and expense, especially as you say about not having the funds to purchase.

You will only come away drooling and searching for ways to raise the money. Next thing you know, you'll be advertising one of your kidneys on Ebay!

Even though the photo's on Apollo Duck are pretty comprehensive, they still don't do the boat justice.

Having once wedged myself within the engine room, nestled alongside the Gardner 6LX engine, I was able to see and appreciate the work and design that's gone into building this marine masterpiece.

It is truly a 'one off' and as such, merits a caring new owner who will use it to its full potential. I remember raising the issue of the boat being over-engined for canal work and one of the forum members suggested the use of a Trolling Valve accessory for the PRM gearbox. If this additional part were to be fitted, then the boat could be used comfortably on both canal and river. In its present state, in order not to pull up any canal side trees (or houses), the boat has to virtually run at tickover speed, which is 425rpm set by yours truly. Anything above that and the monster just draws too much water.

On tickover, the engine sounds like a well oiled Singer sewing machine! :wub:

The living accommodation could not be described as spacious, but homely. Because of the deep draught, when you're sitting at the dining table you appear to be at the water level. In truth though, the term 'completely refurbished' as stated in the advertisement, is being a little flippant.

I was at its present location when the previous owner delivered the boat from its previous berth on the Trent. His sadness at having to sell the vessel in order to fund a house purchase was palpable to say the least! I could certainly empathise with the bloke as you could see it was a wrench to let it go.

Mike

I notice from the pics with the engine running that the exhaust is quite smoky, a symptom of it never having to do any work (unless it's badly worn, which is less likely).

Tim

Is the draught really only 2'6" as quoted in the ad? If so, not remarkable?

Edited by Timleech

I notice from the pics with the engine running that the exhaust is quite smoky, a symptom of it never having to do any work (unless it's badly worn, which is less likely).

Tim

Yes, on initial start up she was a bit smokey, but once warmed up there wasn't a problem. The issue of glazed bores was raised by many who appreciated that the engine was under-utilised. We did hear that the original engine was a four cylinder Gardner, but someone must have felt that this was under-powered for tugging the likes of the Titanic.

Mike

Yes, on initial start up she was a bit smokey, but once warmed up there wasn't a problem. The issue of glazed bores was raised by many who appreciated that the engine was under-utilised. We did hear that the original engine was a four cylinder Gardner, but someone must have felt that this was under-powered for tugging the likes of the Titanic.

Mike

Rather than being a canal boat that looks like a tug, Frederick 2's original design concept was that it's a river/estuary tug that can traverse the narrow canal system. The inspiration was the owner's previous boat, a real tug 'Frederick', hence the name.

My Gardner 6LXB is the same. Smokes the yard out when first started, but clears when warmed up. It's supposed to have done over 1,000,000 miles of faithful service to its original owners.... B)

My Gardner 6LXB is the same. Smokes the yard out when first started, but clears when warmed up. It's supposed to have done over 1,000,000 miles of faithful service to its original owners.... B)

Hi Hairy,

Whilst working on Freddy's engine, a couple of ex-Gardner fitters came along to view the boat. One of them recounted a story about when a thief entered their yard at night in an attempt steal one of the wagons. He must have been disturbed in the process and made a quick getaway, without first shutting the engine down.

When the staff arrived the next morning, the wagon's engine was found to be in gear and still running at tickover speed. Its rear wheels had dug a trench in the soft ground where they'd been turning throughout the night. What an engine the Gardner is!

Mike

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old topic but I am hoping I can resurrect it.  Frederick II is currently in the Scarisbrick Marina near Southport on the L&L and is for sale.  I am very interested in purchasing and would like to know if there is any new information about this vessel

IMG_6488.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, rodlloyd said:

I am concerned about the wheel house roof, how high it is above the water line and how often it will need to be lowered for bridges and tunnels.  

I saw a video of a similar roof and how it was operated and it appears to be a big ordeal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqBX49wObqM

The roof function may be similar, but it's not unreasonable to suppose that "Fred's" roof may be easier to lower -

The sides are  curtains with plastic windows and the roof looks as it folds. At a rough guess it appears that it's been designed for low obstructions.

OTOH, I've had no experience if such a craft - but it looks 'right'. It'll have to do until smeone more experienced comes along to run=bbish my thoughts.

Is there another forum that you could ask - the Dutch Barge Association for example?