Harecastle tunnel height

Kez

Featured Posts

would a shetland saxon 21 be able to go through harecastle tunnel

Not Sure on the air draft of yr Shetland , but our Norman 22 has made it thru easily on many occasions (I'm 6'6 and only ducked a few times ! , Its certainly easier than when we cruise it in a Dawncraft 22 in the 70's when ther were bits of towpath still there !

Cant remember which bridge , but coming into Stoke there's a bridge that is lower than Harecastle (We knocked the roof of the Dawnie in 77 cos we didnt read Grandads notes & bust the mast light on the Norman ! - Some folks never learn !)

I hope this might help to dispel some of the urban legends and fears about Harecastle tunnel:

I have been through Harecastle about 90 times during the last 46 years ......... OK, I am an old fart!!

The headroom nowadays should present no problems whatsoever for any boat that cruises the narrow canals. I have never measured the height/profile in recent years because there is now loads of headroom within a very generous width profile. But anyone with top boxes, folded wind generators, satellite dishes, chimneys, bikes, flower planters etc etc on the roof might consider removing them to the inside of the cabin for their own safety.

There is a tunnel keeper/BW staff at both ends and they will soon tell you if they think you have too much junk on the roof.

There are bridges on the T & M north and south of the Harecastle which are lower than the tunnel so you will be pre-warned!

Harecastle tunnel is relatively boring these days compared to passages in the 60/70's. I could have mentioned ........ no, I'll probably bore you all ...........

my old boat just about scraped through, the cabin is approx 4" higher than most normal NB's i had to remove the tiller pin in the centre low section to stop it scraping the roof of the tunnel.

personally i doubt there is much difference between the height of Harecastle and Burnt mill bridge on the stort in the middle but the sides of Harecastle are slightly lower if i recall

my old boat just about scraped through, the cabin is approx 4" higher than most normal NB's i had to remove the tiller pin in the centre low section to stop it scraping the roof of the tunnel.

How many years ago did you last go through?......... I presume you didn't have a tiller pin that was 7½ feet above waterline?

personally i doubt there is much difference between the height of Harecastle and Burnt mill bridge on the stort in the middle but the sides of Harecastle are slightly lower if i recall

These must be memories from a very long while ago, I think, when the tow-path was present, and I believe water levels were also generally maintained higher.

Not having done this tunnel for years, I was expecting it to be tight, but it simply isn't any more with a "normal boat". I had to stoop for the lower bits, but no part of the boat ever got within a foot of any part of the tunnel, I'm sure, and Chalice sits decidedly hgh at the front with a tall-ish cabin.

Burnt Mill s not the lowest Stort bridge. Things like Kecksey's rail bridge are significantly lower, at normal water levels.

These Stort bridges are serious "chimney off", "crouch right down" and "crawl under" bridges. Harecastle Tunnel is nothing like that.

in answer to the 2 above last time i went through was about 7 years ago in the winter so water levels were at maximum and the towpath had long gone.

and yes the tiller arm was high not sure of exactly how much though (a result of catching it on Cogenhoe lock on the Nene)it now sits at an angle of around 5% :banghead:

Edited by hamsterfan

Have you trIed Gosty Hill?

Gosty2010.jpg

Yes - apart from one low bit it was like a cathedral with its high roof.

When we were at the Saltisford Arm they were pruning the trees - we ended up with two wheelbarrows worth of logs on the roof! But not for long, the foul weather on the Leeds and Liverpool meant we've already burnt most of it.

The Ashtead is the tightest one, yes, our handrails were unscathed but I can't say the same for our chimney.

So long ago I can't remember when but going though in a hire boat once was enough for us at AShsted - that was on the day they flew the space shuttle over brum mounted on a 747 to show us what is looked like - it was blood hot that day.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up this old thread...

My question is how does it compare to Saltersford and Barnton tunnels height wise? I took my cruiser through these the other week and (canopy down) the windscreen cleared the low bit of Saltersford by a couple of inches. Aside from the low bit of Saltersford there was a good bit of space between the highest point of the roof and the windscreen in both tunnels. Had to give it everything with control of the wheel to stop it veering off to the side and scraping...

If mine can clear these two with the canopy down and a fixed windscreen can it clear Harecastle?

Whats the height limit for the harecastle tunnel?

I have just checked our air draught prior to a run down the Nene. 1.8 metres to the top of the top box. We have been through a number of times and had bags of room.

I was told by BW before our first trip that it was 5ft 9in and when I queried it I was told that it depended on the water level. When I asked how they managed to stack up water at the weirs so as to seriously reduce the clearance I was met a long period of silence.

We did clear everything of our roof prior to the first trip only to be met with a hotel boat just coming out as we arrived. It had large plant troughs, full of flowering plants, on the roof.

Richard

I have been through Harecastle Tunnel twice in the last six weeks, the first time I certainly did have to duck when passing through one restricted section (about halfway through) but when I came through last Friday, I didn't duck at all. I am 5'10 and sport a short haircut. The water level was down somewhat on Friday so I think it's a case of "How long is a piece of string?"

• 5 years later...
On 18/03/2019 at 20:46, Bod said:

On 19/03/2019 at 14:51, Captain Pegg said:

Not the greatest of efforts. It could do with some improvement.

That is quite painful isnt it.

Presumably it is intended to say:

- Min height in centre 231cm

- Height at 244cm width 211cm

Maybe. Trying to interpret someones best ms paint efforts. 

Daniel

23 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

So has it changed since this thread was started 10 years ago?

I swear it gets lower every year...or maybe I just don't bend as well.

I find that quoted 7'7" a bit optimistic,  I am 5'7" and the counter is about 21" above the waterline and I certainly have to duck to get through the low bit.

.............Dave

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

On the other hand if you get into strife over slapping into the silly height gauge ,  which we did once you can pass by royal (ty) decree. Its so much better without the walkway.

I think the new (2 years ago) height gauge is lower than the old chains

Last time we hit the gauge was in the mid 1980s we had removed the deckboard and front 2 planks but the rest of the rig was up. 

Chains hit top plank and cloths,  course we kept going . Sneaked in after hours on the way back i think, i remember it wasnt always controlled.

it wasnt the lowest point on the cut in those days that used to be near shenton .

that was headlight top planks deckboard pidgeon box off.  In spite of warnings a part owner of the boat hit that one smashed the headlight deckboard stands and mast and nearly got killed by the top plank coming over the engine hole top.

i managed to gain new stands ( new) that got ‘lost ‘ from bulls bridge yard. They had the numbers of a defunct ricky butty on them. Apparently the Guccc had 2 sets of running gear made for every boat.

they were still on the boat when we sold her in 2000.