Harecastle tunnel height

Kez

Featured Posts

The lowness of Harecastle seems to be one of the more hyped stories, and it's undoubtedly very much less of an issue now it has now towpath (or towpath remnants) in place.

The documentation we were handed before a passage last year said that some bit's can be as low as the 5'9" quoted in Nicholsons, (dependent on water levels), but this sounds highly fanciful.

None the less a taller steerer will need to stoop quite considerably for the lower bits. I'm just over 6 foot, and was having my hair parted by the tunnel roof, despite being very crouched.

You would need to have a very excessive air draft on a "typical" narrow boat, and there are many other bits of the canal system that would be out of bounds to you long before Harecastle became an issue, that's for certain.

We went through ok with our roof mounted solar panels - we found that it wasn't quite as low as that bridge at Hertford, but it was the lowest tunnel we've been through (not been through Standedge BTW)

pic of our boat with panels

medriving.jpg

They did make me take all my plants and the bikes off the roof though!

Edited by Lady Muck

We went through ok with our roof mounted solar panels - we found that it wasn't quite as low as that bridge at Hertford, but it was the lowest tunnel we've been through (not been through Standedge BTW)

pic of our boat with panels

medriving.jpg

They did make me take all my plants and the bikes off the roof though!

Have you not tried Woodley tunnel on the PF?

Edited by Lady Muck

soz edited your post by accident....

Peak Forest? We did do the Peak Forest, can't remember any tunnels, I can remember a very low bridge somewhere up North though, had to take the plants off again!

It's the one just before the Marple Aqueduct, isn't it?

soz edited your post by accident....

Peak Forest? We did do the Peak Forest, can't remember any tunnels, I can remember a very low bridge somewhere up North though, had to take the plants off again!

The PF has two tunnels;

Hyde Bank, fairly close to Marple, which is fairly wide (although NOT wide enough for two boats to pass), no towpath, and no major height issues (apart from a sudden change in roof height hear the northern portal)

Woodley, near bridge 12, towpath, about 8' beam, and the curvature of the roof is such that it comes VERY close to the handrails unless you steer very carefully indeed.

The low bridge was probably on the Ashton

Edited by mayalld

The PF has two tunnels;

Hyde Bank, fairly close to Marple, which is fairly wide (although NOT wide enough for two boats to pass), no towpath, and no major height issues (apart from a sudden change in roof height hear the northern portal)

Woodley, near bridge 12, towpath, about 8' beam, and the curvature of the roof is such that it comes VERY close to the handrails unless you steer very carefully indeed.

The low bridge was probably on the Ashton

We reckon Woodley is the nastiest normal height tunnel on the cut. (The one at Froghall is well below normal full width height - whatever the BW media men imply.)

We reckon Woodley is the nastiest normal height tunnel on the cut. (The one at Froghall is well below normal full width height - whatever the BW media men imply.)

It would be massively improved by adding fendering on the offside to help keep you away from roof scrapes, but that would involve spending money on the PF.

I went through last month did not find it to bad I am 6ft. However it did remind me that When I go through long tunnels to remember to recharge my large rechargeable torch that I carry aboard I would hate to be in a position of having no emergency back up if my tunnel light failed, particularly as I was leading the procession :lol:

It certainly took me by surprise, although I don't think Woodley is quite as bad as the Ashted Tunnel on the BCN. It's very difficult to get a boat through there without scraping the handrails.

As far as Harecastle is concerned, it wasn't nearly as low as I was expecting, although I'm told the water levels were down when we went through.

We must have gone through it too, but I don't remember it. Mind you, we don't travel with anything on the roof except in winter when the chimney is up.

When we were at the Saltisford Arm they were pruning the trees - we ended up with two wheelbarrows worth of logs on the roof! But not for long, the foul weather on the Leeds and Liverpool meant we've already burnt most of it.

It certainly took me by surprise, although I don't think Woodley is quite as bad as the Ashted Tunnel on the BCN. It's very difficult to get a boat through there without scraping the handrails.

The Ashtead is the tightest one, yes, our handrails were unscathed but I can't say the same for our chimney.

• 1 year later...

Have you trIed Gosty Hill?

Gosty2010.jpg