Double Glazing

mark99

Featured Posts

• 1 year later...

I have decided to get acrylic secondary double glazing for 4 of my ChannelGlaze windows but I can't find anyone who will cut them to size AND radius the bottom corners to R=74mm.  This is despite having bought 1 before, albeit 10 years ago.  I have found ones that will radius up to R=20mm but that is no good.  Can anyone point me at a website that will do it?

41 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I have decided to get acrylic secondary double glazing for 4 of my ChannelGlaze windows but I can't find anyone who will cut them to size AND radius the bottom corners to R=74mm.  This is despite having bought 1 before, albeit 10 years ago.  I have found ones that will radius up to R=20mm but that is no good.  Can anyone point me at a website that will do it?

If you have a jigsaw and a fine file it’s pretty easy to do yourself. 

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

There are nearly 150 things on my to do list without that.  And I wouldn't get a nice finish.

I’ll see if I can find you a nice round tuit. 

On 14/11/2018 at 21:25, aracer said:

(my curtains run between that and a metal rod and making that gap smaller wouldn't be good

You've probably worked out how you want to do it by now, but just thought I'd mention I fitted the magnetic tape secondary acrylic glazing having read this link. My windows have the same arrangement as yours, at least in the bedroom. It has not caused any problems. it's only a few mm, and the curtains work fine, open and shut.... Only very minor thing is if I want to pop the window a crack and slide the secondary glazing down to leave a crack there, too, as I often do, then every now and then, if you're not careful, the wire holding the curtains can push on the now bottomwards protruding acrylic, and it can slide off. But once you get wise to it it's not hard to avoid. I'd not say curtains such as you and I have and acrylic secondary glazing mag taped to the inside of window frame are incompatible, but of course I haven't seen your actual windows/curtains, so I suppose maybe in your case it would be an issue...But I'd be a bit surprised

8 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

It is very easy.I did secondary perspex glazing,cutting it with an angle grinder and rounding off with a file.(Don't use a saw) I stuck the inner panes to the window frames with double sided tape.

If you can't find anyone to cut them for you,then you have no option but to do it yourself.

I believe that magnetic tape would be better for sticking the secondary glazing in that it would be easier to remove the inner pane to open a window.In my case the windows don't open,but there is an opening skylight.