window placement?

pquinn

Featured Posts

could anyone tell me if there is an optimal distance between windows,3 foot windows and 15 inch ports for a 57 foot by 10 foot with open plan saloon and galley , 1 bathroom 1 bedroom .thanks

33159[/snapback]

I have a 57x10 boat with similar layout. I fixed the windows so they are approximately central in the plywood lining panels that are either 4ft or 8ft long.

It is helpful if you know exactly where your bulkheads and cupboards are going. The window positions are often constrained by that. I couldn't fix my windows until I had finalised my internal layout, and that took 2 months playing about until I felt I had got it right.

In retrospect I should have made more effort to get them a bit more evenly spaced, just for aesthetic reasons.

I can send you my layout by e-mail if you wish. e-mail me at <chris.polley@btc.com.tr> if you want.

I have a 57x10 boat with similar layout.  I fixed the windows so they are approximately central in the plywood lining panels that are either 4ft or 8ft long.

It is helpful if you know exactly where your bulkheads and cupboards are going.  The window positions are often constrained by that.  I couldn't fix my windows until I had finalised my internal layout, and that took 2 months playing about until I felt I had got it right.

In retrospect I should have made more effort to get them a bit more evenly spaced, just for aesthetic reasons.

I can send you my layout by e-mail if you wish.  e-mail me at <chris.polley@btc.com.tr> if you want.

33164[/snapback]

Don't go along with the usual boring design with the windows on each side of the boat opposite one another.  Offset them, that way you will avoid dark corners and you won't have a see-through boat.

33195[/snapback]

what an exelent idea never crossed my mind,also does anyone have any issues with roof lights ie not lights on the roof but porthole style windows on the roof can you have to many? :smiley_offtopic:

Don't go along with the usual boring design with the windows on each side of the boat opposite one another.  Offset them, that way you will avoid dark corners and you won't have a see-through boat.

33195[/snapback]

One well known builder will actually refuse a sale rather than do this, strange chap indeed!

I have a 57x10 boat with similar layout.  I fixed the windows so they are approximately central in the plywood lining panels that are either 4ft or 8ft long.

It is helpful if you know exactly where your bulkheads and cupboards are going.  The window positions are often constrained by that.  I couldn't fix my windows until I had finalised my internal layout, and that took 2 months playing about until I felt I had got it right.

I can send you my layout by e-mail if you wish.  e-mail me at <chris.polley@btc.com.tr> if you want.

33164[/snapback]

Any idea why?

33235[/snapback]

I think it was a case of all his hulls were near identical and recognisable, in his view he had arrived at the perfect hull format and that was all he was going to build.

Builders often become very self opinionated about what is right and what is wrong, I don't suppose in most cases this is a bad thing it merley proves the have a great belief in their own boats and ways of doing things.

I'm sure you are right Gary, I can understand the attitude to a degree for a fully completed boat but it was always accepted practise that when you bought a shell the window apertures would be cut to the customers requirement and in most cases also the lengths of fore and aft decks.

I am always a little surprised at the faith people have in in builders expertise in matters other than the building of the boat. I have bought two new boats in my time from different builders, in each case neither partner in the business had not done as much as a days cruise on a narrowboat and certainly never spent a night on one, yet between them they had produced hundreds of fully completed boats.

Buyers continue to put more credence what the builder tells them about the merits of different diesel engines or the inner workings of inverters than anyone else. A good case in point, the recent thread re. the size of keel cooling tanks although the builder will build them as part of the boat why would anyone expect him to have any knowledge of how big they should be, you may as well ask your bank manager.

Edited by John Orentas