Springer Narrowboats

Heather Moggridge

Featured Posts

I had a Sprnger once and had years of fun out of it. It had the peaked (pointed roof) and pointed stern but also the corners of the sides where they joined the roof were curved, something like a 4 to 6 inch radius I reckon. What age do you reckon that was?

From memory, some of the very early ones (they started production in 1969) had that feature, but Springer's seemed to offer many options to their customers so perhaps that style was available over a period of several years. In one of the two parts of the Springer Story which was published in Canal Boat, there's a photo of a very early one, greenish-grey (and still moored half a mile down the river from our house) but I have not got the articles to hand and so can't check if it has the rounded eaves, if that's what they are called.

Thanks for that. Our's was originally 36ft and we had her stretched by 10ft. In her latter years she was re-plated by Bim and Bo (at Whilton) and they did a great job. We finally sold her out of Crick Marina about 8/9 years ago. Started life as Emma Jane and ended up as Horus at the time of sale.

Interesting. Searching for that number on CanalPlan gives names of Wendy May and Whistling Gypsy, the latter with an 999 HP engine. biggrin.png

I recently saw an application for a CRT business licence, which asked for more details than in the past and for incorrect information to be corrected. If this is being done for private boats too, then perhaps we could look forward to more accurate details and possibly more information. I have seen many boats referred to as having no draught.

Yep that's mine, it was called Whistling Gypsy prior (and Just Rockin' before that!) I think the 999HP is the default CanalPlan uses if no figure is given- my engine is actually 21HP (almost enough to water ski behind, given my boat is only 30ft and light)!

Yep that's mine, it was called Whistling Gypsy prior (and Just Rockin' before that!) I think the 999HP is the default CanalPlan uses if no figure is given- my engine is actually 21HP (almost enough to water ski behind, given my boat is only 30ft and light)!

I used to use a friend's Springer with a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi. It romped along even at low engine speed and was great fun because there was always a mooring for a small boat and you could turn without winding holes.

I do quite fancy one myself when I,ve finished my current yoghurt pot project, I know how much it changed hands for the last three times it was sold so if I can get near that I will be actively looking for a springer to purchase, I find a strange attraction to things like them, old and quirky,looked down on by many but loved by others which is probably why I still drive a 1975 landrover it's a marmite thing

I do quite fancy one myself when I,ve finished my current yoghurt pot project, I know how much it changed hands for the last three times it was sold so if I can get near that I will be actively looking for a springer to purchase, I find a strange attraction to things like them, old and quirky,looked down on by many but loved by others which is probably why I still drive a 1975 landrover it's a marmite thing

I know just what you mean. Although we have a very nice Mel Davis boat with a vintage engine, I bought myself a cheap Springer to "do up" and have fun with. They are full of character, some of it good. I liken them nowadays to Morris Minors or VW Beetles on the roads - built as cheap utilitarian vehicles but now inspiring many people to lavish affection on them.

I know just what you mean. Although we have a very nice Mel Davis boat with a vintage engine, I bought myself a cheap Springer to "do up" and have fun with. They are full of character, some of it good. I liken them nowadays to Morris Minors or VW Beetles on the roads - built as cheap utilitarian vehicles but now inspiring many people to lavish affection on them.

. That is exactly right and quite funny really as I was trying to talk my wife into parting with her nice modern honda car and replacing it with a Morris traveller just last week, sadly she does,nt share my passion and just tells me I have too many old bangers already were as I have a deep dislike for most things modern, I guess were all different for a reason

• 2 years later...

I had a Springer double decker hotel barge, (I didn't commission it) but I bought it when it soon after it was completed in 1986.  It wasn't the best built boat but after I'd made improvements it served us well for 8 years selling cruises along the upper Thames, sold in 1994, it was then I think converted into a cruising houseboat but not seen it since. Would love to know where it is, assuming it's still afloat! I understand it was the first and last double decker they ever built and of course, being a Springer it was basically a giant narrowboat. 

001.jpg

002.jpg

006.jpg

9 minutes ago, keithstanden said:

I had a Springer double decker hotel barge, (I didn't commission it) but I bought it when it soon after it was completed in 1986.  It wasn't the best built boat but after I'd made improvements it served us well for 8 years selling cruises along the upper Thames, sold in 1994, it was then I think converted into a cruising houseboat but not seen it since. Would love to know where it is, assuming it's still afloat! I understand it was the first and last double decker they ever built and of course, being a Springer it was basically a giant narrowboat. 

001.jpg

002.jpg

006.jpg

Fab :D

The most used and abused boats on the cut!

I was enthralled by some of the 'adaptions' made to these utilitarian craft that I started to photograph them. However, whilst on my mooring one evening I heard an interesting sound approaching, which was a 30ft Springer with the closed in front cockpit, and mounted on the foredeck was a Coventry Victor Twin, connected with hydraulic drive. Without the camera, I could not add to my collection, and without the 'Jewel in the Crown', I never had the enthusiasm to add to my album.