Help with wiring the 12V panels

dankenning

Featured Posts

I have a moulded intrument panel multiway plug, one conductor of which has broken off short at the insertion into the spade. Does anyone know how to repair this? A new loom would cost £170.

Have a close look at the connector. There is usually a tab on the spade that holds it into the plastic body. A small screwdriver should effect release of the spade. Then simply extend the wire and fit a new spade. You may have to order to correct spade from the plug manufacturer as a normal one won't have the little lug to hold it into the plastic casing.

Don't bother with the instrument panel manufacturer. They don't make the connecttors. Get on the Farnell or RS Component websites to find the connector and get the new spade. Having said that the panel maker might be nice and sell you one.

Nothing at all wrong with that.

Gibbo

I have always had an issue with feeding positive and negative bus bars directly off the battery bank/ isolator sw without passing through a fuse. I have always used either an 80amp or 100amp fuse, depending on the total load the panel is capable of carrying.

Edited by Big COL

The BSS is a bit odd here.

To follow good engineering practice would mean a fuse in the main battery lead, as close electrically to the batteries as possible but not in the actual battery compartment. Then on to the isolator switch, then on to the panel.

However the BSS insists that all circuits are protected by a (suitable) fuse or pass through the isolator switch. Rather odd, but that's what it says.

This means that the main battery fuse doesn't actually have to be there. Though it is certainly safer to have one.

Gibbo

Quote from a BSS inspector, and I still can't believe this. "If there are no fuses in the electrical system on board the boat, there's is no requirement for them to inspect the installation. If this is a true statement can you imagine the death traps that would pass. He did add that all inspectors wrer having to attend an electrical course sometime soon.