£45m redevelopment for Wigan Pier

CanalWalker

Featured Posts

http://www.leisureopportunities.co.uk/news...fm?codeID=12236

Wigan is to benefit from a £45m regeneration project aimed at transforming the town into an exciting leisure and tourism destination.

The Wigan Pier Quarter redevelopment will include five improvement schemes, the largest of which involves the complete refurbishment of the grade II listed Trencherfield Mill.

Attractions will include a new heritage-themed venue to sit alongside the Trencherfield Mill Steam Engine; a new performance site – destined to become home to the Wigan International Jazz Festival; a hotel, a restaurant and a bar.

Other improvements in the quarter – which surrounds the basin of the Leeds-Liverpool canal – will be carried out at Eckersley Mills; Pottery Road; two small sites owned by British Waterways and Wigan heritage centre The Way We Were.

The project is being lead by Wigan Council, Wigan Leisure and Cultural Trust (WLCT) and British Waterways, with grant aid from the European Regional Development Fund, the Heritage Lottery, the North West Development Agency and the Regeneration Fund.

Councillor Brian Baldwin, Wigan Council’s cabinet member for culture, said: “Wigan is shedding the outdated, stereotyped image that has persisted for generations and it’s largely thanks to exciting regeneration projects such as this one.”

WLCT’s tourism development manager, Keith Bergman, added: “These projects will significantly boost Wigan’s tourism industry, which already brings in £260m a year.”

Salford-based developer Nuttalls has started work on the project, which is scheduled for completion in 2007. Details: www.wlct.org

• 3 weeks later...

there doesn`t seem to have anything for the boat owners in the scheme. I just hope its true that the old Walmsleys works have been bought by the Waterways & is being turned into a new marina at Wigan. The marina at Rufford looks really nice but have not heard any reports on it.

• 2 weeks later...

something wants doing at wigan.

last week i moored up at the wigan experience to fill up with water and empty the toilets and whatever and found the doors to facilities had been jemmied open.

the response of whoever is in charge there was to place huge wire fencing panels across the doorways and bolt them to the walls,effectivly no facilities except pump out.

no signs or notices were evident to explain where the next available working station was.

redstar ,i was told by a workman that the bw building,s at burscough bridge are at this time being vacated totally by bw,probably will be sold.

if anything on the site you need to catalogue for your project best do it soon i think.

thanks for that gaggle, I will get some more photos. Hopefully the buildings will be used and not demolished.

I was in Wigan last week, the tow path was closed around the Trencherfield Mill so it looks like work is being done there.

All good news for the L&L at our end!